26er or 650b trail/enduro bike on a budget

Xanderstander

Just to add that that 2014 model was replaced with... drumroll... a plastic 2016 model.

This should come as no surprise.. haha.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fact is if you want a fun bike that is massive bang for buck the 26'r option is a no brainer. The value you can get is incredible and to be honest when you change it out in a few years just offload the frame, wheels and fork and move the rest onto a new frame... or get a 26'r that will fit some 650b wheels! 

That reign would be gas! Plus back some big ass 2.4's on there and you're pretty much up at the 65b territory. Every time I take my 26er to the shop they think it's running 650 wheels any way. :)

PM Hairy.

He has a 26" Stumpy for sale.

YES!!!!!

If it's in your budget you would be daft not to take Hairy's Stumpy.  The man is OCD about his bikes.  And never rides :ph34r:

Any Pics, would like to see it.

Okey great! shot for the input guys! 26er it is! Unless someone offers a 650b trance for a steal.. In that case, let me just make this official.. SHOTGUN.

Okey cool, now that I have dibs, let's assume I'm going 26er in the meanwhile, how do people feel about coil shocks? Seems like a lot of downhill okes use them, but havn't seen them feature much for trail/ enduro riding. I'm considering a 2014 reign x1, where the oke replaced the monarch with a van R coil shock.

I'm definitely not on the level of riding crazy ass terrain and huge drop offs yet, but I want to get there eventually.. 

Here we go gents

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/194807-dual-suspension-bikes/

And I can send a good few pics via whatsapp if you would like to see more.

Pics attached are as per how I had her built up with a dropper post.

post-5403-0-92909900-1469017937_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-50683000-1469017953_thumb.jpeg

I wouldn't trade my 26inch Carbon trail/enduro rig for anything just yet. Climbs very well and descends like a BOSS :thumbup: drop the fork to climb and extend for drops. Carbon frame is super rigid, so I can just point and shoot

As long as your rig's frame n wheels feels solid and suspension is supple then you sorted. 

I wouldn't trade my 26inch Carbon trail/enduro rig for anything just yet...

Sure buddy. You rode more bicycles than George Clooney at a swingers party.

I look forward to seeing what bike you'll be on next time I see you.

Why was George Clooney riding bikes at a swingers part?

Hopefully I'll be done with my own frame. It's coming on way too slowly

Coils are great. Put it this way - the air shocks are constantly trying to get as sensitive and plush as coil shocks. They're just better for that aspect. Just need to ensure you have the right spring for your weight, and that's where the air shocks take the cake - you set your spring rating with the amount of air in the chamber.

On the reign though a van is a good bet. Won't win any competitions on the way to the top, but it'll work beautifully on the way down. Thinking of getting a coil shock myself.

How expensive are new springs? and i've hear a few people complain about that they have very limited adjustability.. Do you think they have a good point, or isn't it anything to worry about?

Coils are the bomb! b039f768d70ba7c11ca48e41179fde36.jpg

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

I could never figure if it was the shock taking bumps,

or the whole seat tube section moving up and down??

I could never figure if it was the shock taking bumps,

or the whole seat tube section moving up and down??

it's a unified rear triangle, so the crank is attached to and moves with the rear triangle. Means the distance between the cranks and the saddle is always changing as you hit the bumps.

That Reign X looks like a good deal. Bear in mind that these bikes had older style geometry  - ie short TT and reach numbers. If you are usually on a medium, try and get a large. Stand over is huge and the extra reach makes descending far more comfortable and less tiring. 

I have a large Reign 2013, 26er frame size L for sale if you are interested in building up a bike. It will be a bit lighter than the Reign X 

Archived