Want to see the face of a bike thief?

Skubarra

If it is under out and about and specified, does it even need to be locked to the rack?

My guess will be that the 'reasonable man' test will apply. You need to make reasonable efforts to secure your property in order to comply with the terms of your policy. Leaving a bike on a rack with no lock would obviously not be considered reasonable and they would most likely repudiate. Luckily OP had the bike secured to the rack!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess will be that the 'reasonable man' test will apply. You need to make reasonable efforts to secure your property in order to comply with the terms of your policy. Leaving a bike on a rack with no lock would obviously not be considered reasonable and they would most likely repudiate. Luckily OP had the bike secured to the rack!

What if you are at a robot and someone shops from your rack? 

Or at work we are in a multi story car park with access controlled booms which does not allow vistors in, the reasonable test gets a little grey.

Whenever I have to pop into a shop I slap the cable and lock on, knowing if someone wanted the bike its not much of a hassle.

What if you are at a robot and someone shops from your rack? 

Or at work we are in a multi story car park with access controlled booms which does not allow vistors in, the reasonable test gets a little grey.

Whenever I have to pop into a shop I slap the cable and lock on, knowing if someone wanted the bike its not much of a hassle.

Leaving your bike unattended on a rack and having it lifted while you are driving are 2 very different scenarios. They would also have 2 different outcomes if I were the driver :D All I can say is that if I were an Outsurance client, I'd take every precaution to ensure that I met the terms of my policy in full  ;)

What about Outsurance ? Are they going to pay you out ?  Just curious as my bikes are insured with them.

If it is under out and about and specified, does it even need to be locked to the rack?

I should get feedback from Outsurance by tomorrow, will let you know the gory details

I should get feedback from Outsurance by tomorrow, will let you know the gory details

Leaving your bike unattended on a rack and having it lifted while you are driving are 2 very different scenarios. They would also have 2 different outcomes if I were the driver :D All I can say is that if I were an Outsurance client, I'd take every precaution to ensure that I met the terms of my policy in full  ;)

I had my bike for only three days when it got stolen off the back of a caravan I towed - when I stopped at a railway crossing. Insurance refused to pay out on the basis that the contract stipulates it has to be locked with a secure cable-type lock of a certain thickness.

Luckily I got my bike back - some sctratches though.

I had my bike for only three days when it got stolen off the back of a caravan I towed - when I stopped at a railway crossing. Insurance refused to pay out on the basis that the contract stipulates it has to be locked with a secure cable-type lock of a certain thickness.

Luckily I got my bike back - some sctratches though.

Ok, so should be locked in transit as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Skubarra, don't you have some news to share with us?

Give me a minute - running around like crazy today  ^_^

Running. Since you don't have a bike anymore? :D

Chirp Of The Day

Thankfully Skubarra has a wicked sense of humor

Ok -  the update... 

In short - miracles still happen - my & bike and I were reunited this morning  :clap: :clap:  :clap:

Most of the credit must go to Sanlam security who did the bulk of the detective work and hassled the SAP until they did their job. The SAP, lets just say dealing with them was not without challenges but in the end I got my bike back so thanks to them as well.

The details I left out earlier.. (puzzled together from security & police)

The thief took my bike to a petrol station across the street and sold it off to one of the attendants. The oke just won the petrol attendant of the month award and had a few hundred rands to burn, bought the bike for R700 for his brother in the Eastern Cape. Apparently the thief immediately spent part of his earnings on one of the ladies Voortrekker street is famous for (a bonus would be if karma let him pick up some painful long term disease from that encounter :devil:  ).

By a MASSIVE stroke of luck a Sanlam employee happened to be at the station to buy a garage pie and noticed the odd transaction, and by another stroke of luck was around to mention it to security when they asked around the next day.

Despite the witness & evidence the case almost went dead (a few times), but with a lot of help from Sanlam security my bike was found within a week, it took me another week to track down the detective to sign out my bike from the police station.

The bike is in a surprising good condition, even the cleats & garmin fittings are still on, only loss is my Tygerberg bike board - I guess it would not be of much use in Transkei..

For those who asked - Outsurance was quite willing to pay out the claim, no (tough) questions asked - but obviously I cancelled the claim when I heard the bike was found, so no complaints there.

Brilliant news.

See, I told you not to fret to much, "our" own Sherlock Holmes was on the case.  :D

And all the holes in the security system has been closed, card readers everywhere, so no contractor will leave a service gate unlocked again, even it was for only a few minutes.

Ok -  the update... 

In short - miracles still happen - my & bike and I were reunited this morning  :clap: :clap:  :clap:

Most of the credit must go to Sanlam security who did the bulk of the detective work and hassled the SAP until they did their job. The SAP, lets just say dealing with them was not without challenges but in the end I got my bike back so thanks to them as well.

The details I left out earlier.. (puzzled together from security & police)

The thief took my bike to a petrol station across the street and sold it off to one of the attendants. The oke just won the petrol attendant of the month award and had a few hundred rands to burn, bought the bike for R700 for his brother in the Eastern Cape. Apparently the thief immediately spent part of his earnings on one of the ladies Voortrekker street is famous for (a bonus would be if karma let him pick up some painful long term disease from that encounter :devil:  ).

By a MASSIVE stroke of luck a Sanlam employee happened to be at the station to buy a garage pie and noticed the odd transaction, and by another stroke of luck was around to mention it to security when they asked around the next day.

Despite the witness & evidence the case almost went dead (a few times), but with a lot of help from Sanlam security my bike was found within a week, it took me another week to track down the detective to sign out my bike from the police station.

The bike is in a surprising good condition, even the cleats & garmin fittings are still on, only loss is my Tygerberg bike board - I guess it would not be of much use in Transkei..

For those who asked - Outsurance was quite willing to pay out the claim, no (tough) questions asked - but obviously I cancelled the claim when I heard the bike was found, so no complaints there.

It sounds like he stole the bike because he was n bietjie lus  :wacko:

I am sure in Polsmoor there will be one or two Pappas who will be lus for him.

Now there is a turn of events.....hahahhaha.

Good news Friday it is then.

Archived