Clicking noise when I pedal....

Rhodent

My MTB has developed a click when I pedal. Both seated and standing.

Took it into my LBS who recommended aminor service and replaced the BB - despite the bike being less than a month old.

Unfortunately the clicking noise is still there.

Any suggestions as to what it could be???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tighten your rear skewer

Agreed. Had a click a while back. Was really upset when the skewer trick didnt work. Turned out to be a pivot. Irritated the *** out of me.

Carbon frame? Scott Spark maybe?? Clicking noise comming from your kneecap!? Everything is possible according to the internet.

Do you have more details? As in what's your setup? All the components new? Does the clicking noise consistently occur with each pedal revolution? Does it happen under higher loads?.. or specific gears? Etc.

Agreed. Had a click a while back. Was really upset when the skewer trick didnt work. Turned out to be a pivot. Irritated the *** out of me.

Now that you guys mention it.... I did fiddle with the rear skewer before the ride that started the click....

Will try it before tomorrow's ride. Hope you are right!

I once had a road-bike,which I battled with creaks..ended up greasing the skewers where they make contact with the frame and it finally stopped..

Also check the headset...

Carbon frame? Scott Spark maybe?? Clicking noise comming from your kneecap!? Everything is possible according to the internet.

Do you have more details? As in what's your setup? All the components new? Does the clicking noise consistently occur with each pedal revolution? Does it happen under higher loads?.. or specific gears? Etc.

Not a carbon frame and my knee tends to make a consistent whine/squeal rather than a click!

It's every rotation when the left pedal is around 12 o'clock - all gear ratios and all load levels. Might miss the odd pedal stroke but it's pretty consistent.

My crank was loose so thought items that, but no luck. And now no luck in the BB as well.

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the crank/chainring area - but these noises echo so it's hard to say for sure

Unscrew your pedals and apply some grease to the threaded section that screws into the crank. Look on the pedal and see if you can see an arrow showing the direction to loosen, remember one has LH thread and the other RH.

Copper slip works well.

T

My MTB has developed a click when I pedal. Both seated and standing.

Took it into my LBS who recommended aminor service and replaced the BB - despite the bike being less than a month old.

Unfortunately the clicking noise is still there.

Any suggestions as to what it could be???

seriously hope they didn't charge you for that BB and that it was under warrantee :blink: considering it was apparenty pointless

there are a bunch of threads on here about squeaks creaks clicks ticks coming from bikes   and the solutions are almost never a BB its usually something like a cleat or a dirty seatpost or a skewer

Yeah, can be a lot of things.

Some to try:

Clean and grease seatpost, seatpost clamp, saddle rails, quick release skewers, and headset.

Try adding Teflon tape to BB threads and pedal threads.

Tighten crank arm bolts, chairing bolts, and clean and grease pedal axles.

Check your shoes: clean between shoe and cleat, clean cleat threads, and tighten. Sometimes the quick release on a shoe can become loose and cause you grief. Sometimes a shoes sole may be cracked and rubbing when moved.

Put a little grease between where spokes intersect, sometimes they touch during rotation.

Lastly check for any cracks in frame, saddle, pedals.

Good luck!

Archived