SRAM 10 and 11 speed and free hub specs.

awesme

Ok, so the wife currently have a 2 x 10 seed SRAM setup, X9 RD and X7 FD.

I'm wanting to upgrade her a bit.. her bike guys....

Was thinking of going 1 x 11 via a SRAM XO setup.

Can the 11 speed cassette fit onto the current 10speed Freehub body as it is with Shimano, 10 and 11 speed uses the same width cassette, 

I really don't want to rebuild the wheel or change the hub also.

G

Hi G

You could use the SRAM shifter and rear derailleur with a Shimano 11-42 cassette or you could use the new SRAM NX cassette which is also available in 11-42.  If you want the 10-42 gearing then you will need to replace your freehub with an XD driver.

So basically fit a Shimano 11 speed 11-42 cassette,

and then use the SRAM XO 11 speed RD, but does this RD not expect a wider cassette,

Think the big question is, is the 10 speed and 11 speed cassette's from SRAM the same width, if yes, do they fit onto the same Freehub body,

G

Hi G

You could use the SRAM shifter and rear derailleur with a Shimano 11-42 cassette or you could use the new SRAM NX cassette which is also available in 11-42.  If you want the 10-42 gearing then you will need to replace your freehub with an XD driver.

ok, whats the XD driver ?

I know Shimano... SRAM, thats my wife bike, ;)

G

Hi G

I'm sure the widths are the same. It's the internal radius that's different to get the 10 gear to fit.

ok, whats the XD driver ?

I know Shimano... SRAM, thats my wife bike, ;)

G

The cassette width is the same but because of the diametre of the 10t cog you need the special freehub.

post-4408-0-52161700-1470115946_thumb.png

So basically fit a Shimano 11 speed 11-42 cassette,

and then use the SRAM XO 11 speed RD, but does this RD not expect a wider cassette,

Think the big question is, is the 10 speed and 11 speed cassette's from SRAM the same width, if yes, do they fit onto the same Freehub body,

G

Yes, same width. I'm running an XT 11sp cassette on my gx setup.

The ONLY difference is when you get to the 11speed / 12 speed cassette with the 10t cog. The 10t cog is too small to fit on a "normal" free hub which is why SRAM developed the xd driver.

Spacing remains consistent across brands as long as you're comparing the same cog count. This is true from 7 all the way to 12 speed.

In short. No issues running an XT cassette with XX goodies. Saves you from having to change the freehub

Light bulb

forgot about that 10 tooth 

ok so simplest is to leave her then as a 11-42, skipping that 10-... avoids having to get this XD driver/Freehub...

Ok. now I understand.

thanks.

G

Oh and the 11sp XT cassette fits the same free hub as a 10sp. Exactly the same width at the free hub interface. They are able to do this by mounting the large cogs on the 3rd cog instead of making it a full size cog, thereby dishing the 42t closer to the spokes.

Light bulb

forgot about that 10 tooth

ok so simplest is to leave her then as a 11-42, skipping that 10-... avoids having to get this XD driver/Freehub...

Ok. now I understand.

thanks.

G

Exactly. Should have had your coffee before posting :)

Curious

is this XD driver universal? Wondering if it ill fit into her current hub.

G

The cassette width is the same but because of the diametre of the 10t cog you need the special freehub.

attachicon.gifxx1_driver_body_12mm.png

Curious

is this XD driver universal? Wondering if it ill fit into her current hub.

G

No. Different manufacturers have to make their own due to their different ratchet & pawl designs.

Ok, so the wife currently have a 2 x 10 seed SRAM setup, X9 RD and X7 FD.

I'm wanting to upgrade her a bit.. her bike guys....

Was thinking of going 1 x 11 via a SRAM XO setup.

Can the 11 speed cassette fit onto the current 10speed Freehub body as it is with Shimano, 10 and 11 speed uses the same width cassette, 

I really don't want to rebuild the wheel or change the hub also.

G

The SRAM NX (42/11) cassette fits on a 10 speed freehub - as do the shimano 11 speed cassettes (42/11 or 40/11)

But for a woman (unless she is strong) - I think you should consider a 2 x 11 setup (SRAM GX rear der and you can keep the existing front deralleur most likely - she will like the additional range available, rather than the 1 x 11 which removes a fair amount of gearing range, especially with a 42/11 cassette.

The SRAM NX (42/11) cassette fits on a 10 speed freehub - as do the shimano 11 speed cassettes (42/11 or 40/11)

But for a woman (unless she is strong) - I think you should consider a 2 x 11 setup (SRAM GX rear der and you can keep the existing front deralleur most likely - she will like the additional range available, rather than the 1 x 11 which removes a fair amount of gearing range, especially with a 42/11 cassette.

But why get a NX Cassette when you can get an XT cassette? The NX Cassette is a clunker in terms of weight and costs just wee bit less than XT. Even the SLX is cheaper and lighter. This is just considering the Weight-to-Randella ratio.

Archived