Fraud on this site - be careful of "Jamal Mashaba"

Gregbyrne

All - please be aware of a guy by the name of Jemal Masaba

He wanted to buy my bike that i had advertised and quickly came up with a deposit slip, ID documents and fica. Called me several times on Sunday wanting to collect and i refused. He sounded very convincing and the paperwork looked identical . Money never arrived and he disappeared on Monday. 

Be carefull out there 

Fraud - Absa_Payment_ .pdf

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skelms, skelms, everywhere! Bad enough that people vote for them, now they are on here too!

That is a good looking Proof of Payment - and I really mean it. Online scammers usually make the worst imitations of official documents / emails.

When you compare this side-to-side to an official ABSA document, you'll notice some minor differences (eg. quality of the ABSA logo). Side-by-side comparison isn't foolproof though as I have seen a few variations in FNB's proof of payment pdfs. You almost have to lookup the document's metadata to confirm that it's a fake.

Why doesn't all banks do what FNB does - include a payment reference that could instantly be confirmed on their website!?  :blink:

The account number i gave him was intentionally incorrect and does not exist and cannot be loaded on the ABSA site.

While he was convincing, who will part with 27k on a bike without actually seeing it 

Thanks for the heads up there, also got a bike in the classifieds, luckily I haven't come across characters like this yet.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

just a note, I wouldn't post my bank details on an open public forum hey...

I was going to say the same thing. Rather take a screenshot of it, blur out your personal details and then post the image rather.

That is a good looking Proof of Payment -

key indicator it is a fake is the fact that the date is not aligned to the text that is on the same line

............While he was convincing, who will part with 27k on a bike without actually seeing it 

Very often, that is the sure sign that something is wrong, especially if it is a stranger you have never dealt with and all is done in great haste.

The account number i gave him was intentionally incorrect and does not exist and cannot be loaded on the ABSA site.

While he was convincing, who will part with 27k on a bike without actually seeing it 

very clever of you!!!

Now that is a smart move!  

Thanks for sharing and creating awareness.

As pointed out, there are possible signs inidicating the deposit is false, but as with all scams they are getting better and smarter!

key indicator it is a fake is the fact that the date is not aligned to the text that is on the same line

well spotted ????

What are the chances to ask admin to have a seperate thread for all the security tips, but limit the access to this thread to people who have ex more than 50 posts to their name.  So that the scammers do not see the tips.

What are the chances to ask admin to have a seperate thread for all the security tips, but limit the access to this thread to people who have ex more than 50 posts to their name.  So that the scammers do not see the tips.

good idea

Archived