UCI Road World Champs 2016 (12-16 October)

Frosty

Shame you know you kind of feel that had Cav won or even Eddie B, (who ended up sprinting for himself and not Kristoff), team DD would've secured their World Tour status for next year.. there was so much more on the line yesterday than just the title.[emoji53]

The UCI have really screwed things up by reducing the amount of world tour teams for next year.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way he finds gaps is more like Moses separating the sea.

Sagan's break down the right barrier @ 00:55.....

CAV..

“I wanted to be on Sagan’s wheel, and ultimately I was and then all of a sudden the road was blocked,” Cavendish said after picking up his silver medal.

“SNIP

No, Cav'

Go to Sagz for some bike handling skills

He sees a gap where is none :huh:

(Respect, great little sprinter)

No, Cav'

Go to Sagz for some bike handling skills

He sees a gap where is none :huh:

(Respect, great little sprinter)

I am sure you saw the movie "Premium Rush"? I reckon Sagz is like that oke and life turns slowly while he is able to play out every gap before choosing the right option.

“This was his last World Championships, his last chance," said Lefevere, who has managed the Belgian at the QuickStep squad for almost the entirety of his career.

“He put everything into this race, had really counted on it. And then it didn’t happen,” he told nieuwsblad.be.

“In thirteen, fourteen years, I’ve never seen Tom so disappointed.”

Lefevere admitted that it was “perhaps” too much for Boonen, going up against Peter Sagan and Mark Cavendish in the sprint finish on Doha's Pearl island.

“Tom was also a bit early in second position. But given the circumstances, it was very difficult to make more out it,” he said, adding that Sagan, who made it back-to-back world titles, is "the best rider in the world".

I must say the Belgiums made the race..

What a pleasure watching Boonen boss the race out in the desert, incredible captain out on the road..

I don't see why he wants to retire after PR next year.. he is 36 and challenging for wins, Sagan is 10 years younger than him, how many other 36 year olds can say that... No Boonen can stay on the peloton forever.

“This was his last World Championships, his last chance," said Lefevere, who has managed the Belgian at the QuickStep squad for almost the entirety of his career.

“He put everything into this race, had really counted on it. And then it didn’t happen,” he told nieuwsblad.be.

“In thirteen, fourteen years, I’ve never seen Tom so disappointed.”

Lefevere admitted that it was “perhaps” too much for Boonen, going up against Peter Sagan and Mark Cavendish in the sprint finish on Doha's Pearl island.

“Tom was also a bit early in second position. But given the circumstances, it was very difficult to make more out it,” he said, adding that Sagan, who made it back-to-back world titles, is "the best rider in the world".

I must say the Belgiums made the race..

What a pleasure watching Boonen boss the race out in the desert, incredible captain out on the road..

I don't see why he wants to retire after PR next year.. he is 36 and challenging for wins, Sagan is 10 years younger than him, how many other 36 year olds can say that... No Boonen can stay on the peloton forever.

Besides the Germans the Belgies had the best team in the race imho. Their tactics was excellent and it was very well executed it was a pity for Tommeke that it didn't quite work out for him.

Tommeke is one of the great champs of road racing and I think has earned his right to choose when he calls it a day. A fifth PR win would be a fantastic send off but any good result would be great. He obviously feels that PR would be a good way to end seeing how big a part it has played in his career. I, like you, would love to see him keep going as he is still competitive but sadly he sees it otherwise.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Sagz was phenomenal... But during the interview after and even in this picture, I keep expecting him to walk on water, and fiddle around with loaves and fishes.

How about if he transforms sports drink into wine? :whistling:

Besides the Germans the Belgies had the best team in the race imho. Their tactics was excellent and it was very well executed it was a pity for Tommeke that it didn't quite work out for him.

Tommeke is one of the great champs of road racing and I think has earned his right to choose when he calls it a day. A fifth PR win would be a fantastic send off but any good result would be great. He obviously feels that PR would be a good way to end seeing how big a part it has played in his career. I, like you, would love to see him keep going as he is still competitive but sadly he sees it otherwise.

good explanation.  We still think he is competitive, but give him a small chance of actually winning (we are happy if he gets 2nd or 3rd).  I think for someone like him, he races to win and he feels if he cant do that anymore he should call it quits.  Funny how the mindset of athletes differ, some guys will be happy with a 2nd etc.

good explanation. We still think he is competitive, but give him a small chance of actually winning (we are happy if he gets 2nd or 3rd). I think for someone like him, he races to win and he feels if he cant do that anymore he should call it quits. Funny how the mindset of athletes differ, some guys will be happy with a 2nd etc.

Aye.. and the last 2 years he has had some terrible luck with crashes.. and was looking in great form

I WILL MISS HIM SO MUCH..

BUT

We still have him for the classics next year so I will enjoy every moment watching him race.

Aye.. and the last 2 years he has had some terrible luck with crashes.. and was looking in great form

I WILL MISS HIM SO MUCH..

BUT

We still have him for the classics next year so I will enjoy every moment watching him race.

Wish I could give it a double thumbs up hehe

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

good explanation. We still think he is competitive, but give him a small chance of actually winning (we are happy if he gets 2nd or 3rd). I think for someone like him, he races to win and he feels if he cant do that anymore he should call it quits. Funny how the mindset of athletes differ, some guys will be happy with a 2nd etc.

Just calling it as I see it. Like Gen I will miss him and it makes next years classics season both interesting and poignant.

Just calling it as I see it. Like Gen I will miss him and it makes next years classics season both interesting and poignant.

Yeah, I hope he can win another monument, he came so close to winning PR this year.. will be giving him a extra cheer next year.

good explanation.  We still think he is competitive, but give him a small chance of actually winning (we are happy if he gets 2nd or 3rd).  I think for someone like him, he races to win and he feels if he cant do that anymore he should call it quits.  Funny how the mindset of athletes differ, some guys will be happy with a 2nd etc.

Yeah you right. When you look at the names that where pulled off the course then just finishing is a big achievement.

Yeah, I hope he can win another monument, he came so close to winning PR this year.. will be giving him a extra cheer next year.

If Tom and Sagz hit that track in Roubaix together and they are going for the win, Who you going to cheer for?

Tough one because I am a Sagz supporter but dig Boonen as well. Sagz has plenty years to go but it will be the last for Tom.

With the new Argon team I feel we in for one hell of an exciting classics season.

If Tom and Sagz hit that track in Roubaix together and they are going for the win, Who you going to cheer for?

Tough one because I am a Sagz supporter but dig Boonen as well. Sagz has plenty years to go but it will be the last for Tom.

With the new Argon team I feel we in for one hell of an exciting classics season.

Sjoe it's tough hey.. that track is complicated and you would think Boonen would have the upper hand because of the experience there... I wouldn't be able to look.[emoji85]

Archived