SRAM NX

Sparky and the Warden

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all!

Recently converted to NX from SLX so I can chip in here.

I went from a 2x10 SLX set up to a 1x11 NX set-up on my 2016 Giant Trance 27.5 2.

Firstly, the 27.5 inch wheels means you have to go for a slightly larger chainring in the front - I went for a 34t. The hills are a bit tougher, but by no means do I need more gears. On the top end speed I felt like I was spinning out on a 32t, hence the 34t - I now have enough to go about 40km/hr before spinning out.

As for the NX group-set - I love it. Shifting is smoother than my SLX, and the lack of front shifter really frees up space for my dropper seat post control which I am now using much more. 

Components I used for conversion:

-Sram NX shifter, rear derailleur, cassette (11-42t), and 11 speed chain

-Race face 34t NW chainring (104BCD)

-I removed my chainguide (no dropped chains yet)

-I kept my SLX crank

I can really highly recommend this set-up if you are looking to convert to 1x. The 11-42t cassette saves allot of money but does mean you have to go larger chainring in the front to get nice top end speed (especially on a 27.5 inch wheel).

I will post some before and after pics of the conversion when I get home this evening.

Give me a shout if you have any questions about the conversion and which parts to get :)

Edited by Rigardt Griessel

I was led to believe the SRAM shifting was better than Shimano on the 1x11. Is this not the case. Also looking at doing the conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion - the NX shifts better than SLX, wouldn't know how it compares to XT though.

Same here and i ride like a drunken monkey with tourettes.

lmfao..had me stitches ????????????????????????

Sram 1x ..rocks. Even my mate who was dead against converted a few months ago . And he is by no means the best climber ( which is everyone's fear with 1x right ?) in fact he's a plodder as he calls it. But he won't loves his sram 1x. Clean ,simple,efficient.

I eagerly got home tonight Nx in hand super amped to get started... Well I must say this it was the easiest installation ever! I'm no bike mechanic but I do enjoy getting my hands dirty (and bloody compliments of the chain ring) anyway really stoked how good it feels coupled with the absolute black oval. I'll review after the weekend ????

I tested the nx out with the 32oval at helderberg and I'm pretty stoked with how good it all went no chain drops or chain slapping... Also I have clue how some okes 'spin out' I was giving it gas and I still found that I had two gears left!!! (doing 40km/h+) anyway bottom line is what an awesome no mess no frills piece of tech!

My quick chime in:

I'm a proud NX owner. I even fitted it myself and it was dead simple.

With a 32t ring, it gives any reasonably fit person more than enough range to get up even really steep hills.

NX is however not the most refined or light drivetrain, but it has a beauty to its simple, mechanical shifting. You always feel the shift. And being able to go from the 10t to the 42t in two depressions is pretty cool (as I've said elsewhere).

I tested the nx out with the 32oval at helderberg and I'm pretty stoked with how good it all went no chain drops or chain slapping... Also I have clue how some okes 'spin out' I was giving it gas and I still found that I had two gears left!!! (doing 40km/h+) anyway bottom line is what an awesome no mess no frills piece of tech!

I was spinning out on a 32t (not oval) and 27.5 inch wheels. If you ar riding a 29er and the 32t oval (or just one of the two) that goes a long way to not spinning out.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the NX set-up!

That IS good..

Oh - on the shifting thing. I've found Shimano to be slicker. Think of mid-level japanese / korean car gearbox shifts. They just go about their business and shift, but can get sticky when things wear out / cables stretch etc. Quieter. Hence "smoother" characterisation.

SRAM I've found to have a more "positive" shift. IE you press the lever and you KNOW it's shifting. Like a race car / high end sports car. More mechanical in nature, if you know what I mean. Click tjank. It DOES it, instantly. And you know it. You know it's done it cos there's been a discernible click, and you actually heard it move.

Shimano - click move.

I now know exactly what you saying here going from shimano to SRAM.

SRAM does have that very mechanical sounding shift and i dig it...alot.

I was spinning out on a 32t (not oval) and 27.5 inch wheels. If you ar riding a 29er and the 32t oval (or just one of the two) that goes a long way to not spinning out.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the NX set-up!

I'm on a 27,5 trance small frame... I think that you're right about the oval makes a big difference up or downhill

Photos as promised:

Before:

After:

Chain line in middle gear (6). Chain ring directly attached to outer chainring mount (104BCD)

Do you have a black bike? I don't see it.