Contego Segment Hunter #3: The battle for Cape Cobra

Contego Segment Hunter

Ha ha ha not worried at all, love a good rivalry on strava

As a comparison, how about you ride it with 30kg strapped to your back? :P

Suspect you'll still beat me, but hey... 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a comparison, how about you ride it with 30kg strapped to your back? :P

Suspect you'll still beat me, but hey... 

how about you ride it with 10 years added to your age :P .

but, yes 30kg for the win lose

Anyhoo, as an aside, is there a "control" in this series ie Strava is renowned for variances from device to device and sometimes it's just full of crap. Interested to know how that is levelled to ensure a fair outcome or avoid disputes when there's a second in it in future.

And please, before I'm accused of belittling people or detracting from penis contests, this is an agenda-free query.

Anyhoo, as an aside, is there a "control" in this series ie Strava is renowned for variances from device to device and sometimes it's just full of crap. Interested to know how that is levelled to ensure a fair outcome or avoid disputes when there's a second in it in future.

And please, before I'm accused of belittling people or detracting from penis contests, this is an agenda-free query.

No idea TBH. It's the closest thing we have at the moment until the device accuracy is sorta normalised.

Agreed on the Strava variances. Sometimes I've absolutely bombed a segment and my time has been way slower than another ride when I wasn't trying particularly hard. But, it's all a bit of fun - nothing serious about Strava :devil:

Agreed on the Strava variances. Sometimes I've absolutely bombed a segment and my time has been way slower than another ride when I wasn't trying particularly hard. But, it's all a bit of fun - nothing serious about Strava :devil:

HEY!!! Strava is for serious people, don't cha know?

yep. Also, the multitude of repeat / duplicate segments out there means it's a bit of a crapshoot... 

I ride the segment twice this weekend. I have to manually upload my older Garmin so I use my phone to check the ride. This segment, both times, was 45s faster on my Garmin. It looks correct according to the map of the segment. My phone seems to have a wider GPS signal and picks up and extra distance at the top for some reason. Very odd.

Edit: but most segments were within a second or two. Think it's mostly a problem of short and/or switchback segments.

Edited by Thor Buttox

yep. Also, the multitude of repeat / duplicate segments out there means it's a bit of a crapshoot... 

We've made some changes to the XC loop on Paarl mountain which at one spot added about 100m to the previous relevant segment.  Cannot for the life of me get Strava to recognize it as a new distinct segment, so no way you'll beat the old times on that.

Then of course "Needles" on Paarl is right next to the shuttle route so current KOM is nearly 80kph.  E-bike or not, you're not beating a bakkie :/ 

I ride the segment twice this weekend. I have to manually upload my older Garmin so I use my phone to check the ride. This segment, both times, was 45s faster on my Garmin. It looks correct according to the map of the segment. My phone seems to have a wider GPS signal and picks up and extra distance at the top for some reason. Very odd.

Yup, Strava added 800m distance and 150m climbing to my ride in Jonkers this weekend compared to my on bike GPS.

Yup, Strava added 800m distance and 150m climbing to my ride in Jonkers this weekend compared to my on bike GPS.

Not that I'm complaining...

We've made some changes to the XC loop on Paarl mountain which at one spot added about 100m to the previous relevant segment.  Cannot for the life of me get Strava to recognize it as a new distinct segment, so no way you'll beat the old times on that.

Then of course "Needles" on Paarl is right next to the shuttle route so current KOM is nearly 80kph.  E-bike or not, you're not beating a bakkie :/ 

LOL. I reckon we're gonna have the same problem when tokai reopens. New lines, shorter lines, longer lines..

I think there has to be variance of more than 50% or something in order for it to be recognised, but it is a problem that I wish the developers would recognise and somehow "close" a segment if a trail centre tells them it's an old unused trail or something. 

I think there has to be variance of more than 50% or something in order for it to be recognised, but it is a problem that I wish the developers would recognise and somehow "close" a segment if a trail centre tells them it's an old unused trail or something. 

Maybe they will?  Has anyone ever tried to get a segment removed?

WRT to devices, a phone picks up way fewer gps points per second than a proper gps device. Good gps devices you can also calibrate to say how accurate you want it, ie low accuracy lets the battery last longer. The way phones work it looks like one of those connect-the-dots pictures but proper device is actually very accurate.

WRT segment hunter we do use a GPS device.