2 Incidents in 2 Days!!

WrightJnr

Anybody here have more info on the 2 incidents in Johannesburg Botanical Gardens yesterday and this morning? FB Spruit thread has a mugging along the Mark's Park Fence just after 12pm yesterday. 2 assailants with knives. Then this morning there were reports of an Ambulance assisting 2 cyclists inside the Gardens close to Beyers Naude. The second incident doesn't have much info if it was a crash/assault.

I ride in that park 3 times a week and sometimes very early, around 05h15. And in fact was there yesterday around 1pm however when on my own I miss the track right next to the Mark's Park fence for safety reasons, not for mugging but more don't want to crash there on my own. I know it's not ideal riding alone but during the week I need to be home at 6am so my morning rides are out of necessity. I've never felt unsafe there in the past but I'm worried now.

I saw the first incident was a definite mugging - rider was stabbed and they slashed his tires, so assume they didn't take the bike.

The second one is sketchy... no more details other than an ambulance attending to riders. 

Thanks for the update.

So yesterday and today they were targeting people against the Marks Park fence line - not to say they are going to stay there, so everyone should take care when riding in Emma.

We're commuting this afternoon from Midrand along the Spruit, and getting off around Victory Park, splitting off to Linden and Parktown North respectively. Will keep my eyes peeled for the 2km or so I'll be riding solo... 

Not a good feeling knowing this is going on again! 

Just heard from somebody at my old office that one of the guys who works there was stabbed on the Spruit this morning in the Linden/Blairgowrie area. Sounds like the same incident.

He is still in Milpark hospital

• 3 weeks later...

This is not lekker to hear at all! Hope the guys are ok and the culprits are dealt with asap!

Have started a topic in group rides to get some guys/girls together to ride the spruit from Dunkeld or Fratellis - safety in numbers - get involved. 

So there was another mugging at knife point at emmarentia on the 14th. Happened at about 2.30 in the afternoon at that marks park top section. Guy who did it was wearing a dark jersey, light backpack and a beanie. SAPS have advised caution when visiting emmarentia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Assistance Required 11.11.16: Parkview SAPS have made an arrest with regards to common robberies (muggings) in the JHB Botanical Gardens. If you have been a victim and would be able to recognise the suspects, please get in touch with the investigating officer - Capt Miya 0766867950, in order to attend an identity parade being organised for Saturday 12th November.