Entries are open for 2016 Mangaung Cycle Tour

News bot

So the route for the 2017 race is out, and it avoids the whole Heidedal part (where I understand the accident with the vehicle happened last year).

I've created the 99km route on Strava, based on the route image:

https://www.strava.com/routes/9258520

Best idea they have ever had, that part of the race had me pooing myself

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best idea they have ever had, that part of the race had me pooing myself

A slight route update was announced, as someone at the municipality decided to go speedbump crazy on the Lucas Steyn stretch. I'm not complaining, mind you - even the double-cabs/X5s/Discovery's shouldn't be able to speed there now, so it is bound to be more safe.

I've updated the route on Strava.

• 1 month later...

A slight route update was announced, as someone at the municipality decided to go speedbump crazy on the Lucas Steyn stretch. I'm not complaining, mind you - even the double-cabs/X5s/Discovery's shouldn't be able to speed there now, so it is bound to be more safe.

I've updated the route on Strava.

I see they have changed the route again, sending us through the K@k part of town again. Wonder how the people who hit the car last year will feel about that. . . Full road closure may help, but who knows.

ja nee

once the organisers can sort out routes (and do them properly) I'll think of doing this ride again

the mess last year with the MTB routes and the vehicle accident made my decision not to enter this year somewhat less complicated.

I've already entered...

Personally I'm not that worried, as A/B bunches will be through that part fast enough to not even worry.

However, if I was looking at 4+ hours, I'd be very concerned. It is a few km stretch where a lot can go wrong, even with full road closure.

I have not seen any mention yet of an MTB event this year, come to think of it.

Guess I have to update the route on Strava again. Again.

Edited by HdB

I've already entered...

Personally I'm not that worried, as A/B bunches will be through that part fast enough to not even worry.

However, if I was looking at 4+ hours, I'd be very concerned. It is a few km stretch where a lot can go wrong, even with full road closure.

I have not seen any mention yet of an MTB event this year, come to think of it.

Guess I have to update the route on Strava again. Again.

True, just in general thought they would have changed it. Looks like it comes from Mangaung's side, not realy from themselves. Presume that using too much of the N1 is a problem for them. 

They not running the MTB event themselves, but they have basically outsourced it to another group who will be organising it. Hopefully that means the Road race gets full attention.

• 1 month later...

So, anyone else here ride the race this weekend?

And, anyone else involved in the crash(es) at the bridge near Glen?

I fell right at the start of the bridge, thanks to someone on the left-hand side locking his rear brake and smashing into the hay bales side-on. Somehow managed to land on my feet and right hand, and just kept running a few steps to avoid the rest of the carnage.

So, zero damage to myself, and some relatively minor damage (will let the LBS make sure) to my ergos and rear derailleur and/or hanger.

I know of at least one person with a broken collarbone, so I count myself VERY lucky.

Yeah, pulled away in CL. Climbed onto a massive bunch from home affairs till Glen. Just as we hit a downhill on the N1 some guy in the middle of the bunch had a massive Wipeout, luckily took no one else out, but he crashed right next to me and it was gruesome. Was that not the guy with the broken collarbone possibly?

Glen was also a stuff up with that bridge and the condition of the road before it, but luckily made it through alright!

At least the stretch through the Township was better than last year!

Hmm, no, we were in AL. But it sounds like there were lots of falls, in different places and bunches. Some lovely photos of scars and neck braces on the one WhatsApp group.

Did you see if the rider who fell on the N1 had a dark shirt with blue writing on?

The guy who caused the crash I went down in is also a Bloem rider, I find it odd that he misjudged the bridge so badly given how frequently it is used in training and races.

The township stretch did seem better, though possibly we weren't going as fast as last year due to the headwind.

Now for a few less hectic weekends! :)

Hmm, no, we were in AL. But it sounds like there were lots of falls, in different places and bunches. Some lovely photos of scars and neck braces on the one WhatsApp group.

Did you see if the rider who fell on the N1 had a dark shirt with blue writing on?

The guy who caused the crash I went down in is also a Bloem rider, I find it odd that he misjudged the bridge so badly given how frequently it is used in training and races.

The township stretch did seem better, though possibly we weren't going as fast as last year due to the headwind.

Now for a few less hectic weekends! :)

Misunderstood about the guy with the collarbone, didn't realise he was in your bunch. To be honest didn't really see what shirt he was wearing, so can't say. 

That headwind was shitty, but would take a headwind over the maniacs we had to deal with last year!

Strange that there are less finishers on Racetec than last year yet it felt like we were more. Maybe it was all the MTBs without chips that caused that.