Some Help with A Giant Trance?

SeanGrey

Hey Guys

So went for a bike fit and need to go a size up for the best possible fit if I want to shorten the stem to a 50 or so. 

Just sold my 2015 Giant Trance 2. Love that bike so much that I will be going with another Trance. Suits my riding to a T and managed a 65km cross country race too,. 

Should I...

Get another 2015 Giant Trance 2 and upgrade the Wheelset to something better

or 

Get the 2016 Trance 2 (price come down due to new model) Not a huge fan of the red/silver at all (no offense).

or 

Pay more and go for the 2017 Giant Trance 2. 

Or I could for that price (waiting for exact price) maybe go up a model in the 2015/16 range. 2016 Trance Advanced 2 maybe... 

Any help appreciated, thanks! 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys

So went for a bike fit and need to go a size up for the best possible fit if I want to shorten the stem to a 50 or so. 

Just sold my 2015 Giant Trance 2. Love that bike so much that I will be going with another Trance. Suits my riding to a T and managed a 65km cross country race too,. 

Should I...

Get another 2015 Giant Trance 2 and upgrade the Wheelset to something better

or 

Get the 2016 Trance 2 (price come down due to new model) Not a huge fan of the red/silver at all (no offense).

or 

Pay more and go for the 2017 Giant Trance 2. 

Or I could for that price (waiting for exact price) maybe go up a model in the 2015/16 range. 2016 Trance Advanced 2 maybe... 

Any help appreciated, thanks! 

why would you sell a 2015 Trance only to get another 2015 Trance?

2017 with the shorter rear chainstays... one thing they didn't do with the 2014 and 2015 etc.

I think also that the 2017 has a longer headtube...

Definitely 2017, so many improvements and R&D. The 2016 still has that stupid 135QR on the rear wheel.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Definitely 2017, so many improvements and R&D. The 2016 still has that stupid 135QR on the rear wheel.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Which is upgradable to 142mm Thru-axle ;)

Because he needs a different frame size....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Currently riding a 2016, and kicking myself for not waiting for the 2017. So many improvements, shorter chainstay, longer tt, and best of all Fox 34s instead of 32s!!

If your budget can manage it go 2017. Colpurs are awesome too (agree the red and silver is butt ugly - Im respraying mine in a month or two).

No brainer in my opinion!!

Edit: longer head tube, not top tube.

Be aware... your original motivation for the change is so you can run a shorter stem but indications are that you will need a larger frame to avoid being cramped by the shorter stem.

This shows 2 problems....

1) shorter stem/wider bars is not the universal answer to every bike. A renowned bike designer advised me NOT to do this on my TBLTc because it already has a short TT by modern standards and my 70mm stem was appropriate for the head angle and offset. This flies in the face of advice regularly repeated by Hub 'experts' but I have more faith in the Pyga man's track record ....????

So, depending on frame geo, shortening your stem may help or it may not. In general, the older the bike the less likely that a super short stem will work well.

2) Changing your 2015 to 2016 or 2017 introduces possibility of long/low geo changes in newer models and maybe your original size frame will now be appropriate with a short stem. Be guided by manufacturer's sizing charts and proceed from there ignoring your previous bike if the frame geo is different.

I don't know Trances very well so can't give more specific advice but the Giant website still had all the historical geo data last time I looked...do your homework before laying down the cash.

Good luck

I need to go a size up. I had a medium and luckily a family member wants it caus the outcome of the bike fit was I need to either go from the stock 70mm stem to a 80/90 which defeats the purpose of having a trance or go Large and have a 70/60/50mm stem to get the correct reach and not be so far over the front end. 

Be aware... your original motivation for the change is so you can run a shorter stem but indications are that you will need a larger frame to avoid being cramped by the shorter stem.

This shows 2 problems....

1) shorter stem/wider bars is not the universal answer to every bike. A renowned bike designer advised me NOT to do this on my TBLTc because it already has a short TT by modern standards and my 70mm stem was appropriate for the head angle and offset. This flies in the face of advice regularly repeated by Hub 'experts' but I have more faith in the Pyga man's track record ....

So, depending on frame geo, shortening your stem may help or it may not. The older the bike the less likely that a super short stem will work well.

2) Changing your 2015 to 2016 or 2017 introduces possibility of long/low geo changes in newer models and maybe your original size frame will now be appropriate with a short stem. Be guided by manufacturer's sizing charts and proceed from there ignoring your previous bike if the frame geo is different.

I don't know Trances very well so can't give more specific advice but the Giant website still had all the historical geo data last time I looked...do your homework before laying down the cash.

Good luck

Thanks very much, luckily did the bike fit and tried to forget everything I read previously. I have broader shoulders and my bars apparently should be at 750 which is what they are and I find them really comfortable. Im cool with the 75mm stock giant contact stem but thought going wider bars (750) and slightly shorter stem would only improve handling even more so. Will stick my 750 bars on the new bike and keep the stock stem until I go for the fit on my new bike to get the reach 100%. Thanks for all the info! 

Thanks very much, luckily did the bike fit and tried to forget everything I read previously. I have broader shoulders and my bars apparently should be at 750 which is what they are and I find them really comfortable. Im cool with the 75mm stock giant contact stem but thought going wider bars (750) and slightly shorter stem would only improve handling even more so. Will stick my 750 bars on the new bike and keep the stock stem until I go for the fit on my new bike to get the reach 100%. Thanks for all the info!

How tall are you?

Currently riding a 2016, and kicking myself for not waiting for the 2017. So many improvements, shorter chainstay, longer tt, and best of all Fox 34s instead of 32s!!

If your budget can manage it go 2017. Colpurs are awesome too (agree the red and silver is butt ugly - Im respraying mine in a month or two).

No brainer in my opinion!!

Edit: longer head tube, not top tube.

Shot thanks very much, will get all the prices together soon and see. Ideal choice from reading all of this would be 2017 i take it. May have to go 2016 with spray too! haha Like the red/silver more than the Trance 3 blue colour so thats a plus. thanks 

Archived