Minimizing risk- as a land owner

RyanD

Hello.

I am a cyclist (MTB) and a farmer. I allowed a local bike race to run through my property and as a result I now have cyclists using the route during the week and mostly on weekends, it's as though once I gave permission for the race people assume my farm is now open to all.

What worries me is that a tractor runs a cyclist over and his next of kin or insurance company then come looking for a way to make me pay.

Would a sign saying cycle at own risk suffice? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you

Ryan.

Sorry to hear, another case of the few spoiling it for the rest, and guys want to know why races get cancelled because of "difficult farmers",, what area in KZN.?

I second 'Dale unless you don't mind the cyclist using your property... just remember if you allow it now and this continues for, say, 10 Years or so, then the public has the route as thoroughfare by law.... I might be wrong on the length of time and the legal jargon, but it goes something like that.... so just be careful allowing this to continue (I think is called a right of way servitude or something like that)

Hello.

I am a cyclist (MTB) and a farmer. I allowed a local bike race to run through my property and as a result I now have cyclists using the route during the week and mostly on weekends, it's as though once I gave permission for the race people assume my farm is now open to all.

What worries me is that a tractor runs a cyclist over and his next of kin or insurance company then come looking for a way to make me pay.

Would a sign saying cycle at own risk suffice? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you

Ryan.

Thank you for making your farm available. Respect, its okes like you that gives us nice races.

Its your land and should be respected, I agree Do not Enter is more appropriate, Unless of course you don't mind.

My hope is that cyclist don't abuse the goodwill of this man

You could always ask some the "manne" who patrol the Durbanville and surrounds trails, they seem to have lots of anger and will moer these rouge riders off your land.

For extra effect, you can give them walker talkies ( the belt clippie type), and MTB numbers boards that reads "Marshall" or "Trail Prefect".

Hi Ryan

Firstly, thank you for allowing the race on your land. It shows you are a generous person.

However, that gives nobody the right to abuse the privilege at other times. Personally, I would put up a no entry sign and charge transgressors with trespassing. It is exactly the same as someone riding through my little city home, which most riders will recognize as clearly wrong. Those who ride rogue routes are not doing it by accident, they are intentionally flouting the rules of civilized society and they spoil it for those who obey the law.

If you don't mind having them ride on your farm,  which would be fantastic,then get in contact with AMARider (African Mountainbike Association). They will give you the right legal advice of how to indemnify yourself. They are based in Stellenbosch, but they do operate country-wide. I know they did work in KZN doing the same thing for forestry companies. Speak to Meurant Botha, he's the boss man there.

http://www.amarider.co.za/Amarider/siteContact.php

Hi Ryan,we are in the same position,we have never chased anyone,I have put up a sign "private property,enter at own risk " at the main entrance,but as you know, a cane farm has plenty acess ponts,would be interesting to find out about the "laws" pleez keep us posted. by the way, the "local indeginous population " take great fun and joy in destroying any signs that you may put up

Good luck with this, one of the reasons we canned the trail in Magalies was because of people leaving the marked route and just going wherever they could. It was causing issues as I was being held responsible for this (in a way they were right but there is only so much you can do).

Sadly it seems a lot of riders feel they can just go where they want, even though I had signage made for farms that did not want to allow passage through their properties.  I sat on a hill one morning during a ride having a drink and watched some riders down below in the valley just blatantly disregard the 'No Bicycle Access' signs on a property and cut right through....couldn't do anything as it would have taken me 20 minutes to reach them! Bastards....!

I would make sure there are signs at possible entry areas saying that it is private property and the landowner cannot be held responsible for any injuries etc. Bit of a pain, bit of a cost to you but better safe than sorry. 

Archived