• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/16/2024 at 2:13 AM, Wayne Potgieter said:

Also have this running in the printer as we speak

https://www.printables.com/model/418962-bikepacking-front-rack

why not run the moonbag directly off the bars? or do you want the frame to create space? id run 100% infill on that design, those clamps will be working hard.

FWIW i honestly dont get the point of the moonbags over a top tube bag or front triangle bags which you can access during the ride.

On 2/12/2024 at 3:15 PM, Kom said:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/gear/accessories/bike-tech/cockpit-and-handlebar-mounts/forward-am-i-canyon-3d-print-mount/9102036.html

Interesting that Canyon are selling 3D printed computer mounts now too ...

Someone has already published this on Thingiverse for anyone wanting to try it out/remix for their own purposes.

I can vouch that this design is extremly strong (even in PLA).

ive probably printed this design a dozen times already - i kept getting stuck with too many tree supports and a k*k finish under the mount.

i stumbled on Cheps youtube channel and discovered custom supports as a marketplace plugin for cura - what a discovery! 

Cheps custom profiles for cura are excellent too - my ender 3 has a new lease on life!

52 minutes ago, Kom said:

Use 100% infill folks 🫣

also: don't Eddie Mercx your designs too much 🤐

IMG_4205.jpeg

IMG_4206.jpeg

Too true, I have come to the conclusion that anything I'm mounting on my bike 100% infill every time!

On 2/19/2024 at 4:24 PM, Kom said:

ive probably printed this design a dozen times already - i kept getting stuck with too many tree supports and a k*k finish under the mount.

i stumbled on Cheps youtube channel and discovered custom supports as a marketplace plugin for cura - what a discovery! 

Cheps custom profiles for cura are excellent too - my ender 3 has a new lease on life!

very cool, thanks for sharing this,

On 2/24/2024 at 12:39 PM, Kom said:

Use 100% infill folks 🫣

also: don't Eddie Mercx your designs too much 🤐

IMG_4205.jpeg

IMG_4206.jpeg

you might enjoy this cantilever test...

11 minutes ago, Jono said:

you might enjoy this cantilever test...

excellent - but didnt realise the jump from 90 to 100% infill was so geometric - strength to weight and overall breaking point almost double!

4 minutes ago, Kom said:

excellent - but didnt realise the jump from 90 to 100% infill was so geometric - strength to weight and overall breaking point almost double!

yeah that's quite surprising

With STEEL the strength is in the outer layers - when subjected to bending stress. 

Thus the use of "I" beams.  The thin web between the two outer flanges does very little.

Would be interesting to see these experiments repeated with part infill in the "middle", but full infill on the outer layers ....

I am keen top print a monitor shelf for my home office setup. I can find heaps of brackets and stands, but all of them require some form of wooden shelf to be inserted. (see this for the general idea - Not my file, just sharing for information purposes - all credit to original author)

https://www.printables.com/model/56729-honeycomb-monitor-stand/comments

Now, This got me wondering about whether it is possible to print the actual shelf using PLA and have it modular? So lets say a shelf that has some form of interconnector puzzle like ends so you can attach two or three shelf pieces together to increase the length and glue them. Would that even be strong enough to hold up a wide monitor?

8 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

I am keen top print a monitor shelf for my home office setup. I can find heaps of brackets and stands, but all of them require some form of wooden shelf to be inserted. (see this for the general idea - Not my file, just sharing for information purposes - all credit to original author)

Now, This got me wondering about whether it is possible to print the actual shelf using PLA and have it modular? So lets say a shelf that has some form of interconnector puzzle like ends so you can attach two or three shelf pieces together to increase the length and glue them. Would that even be strong enough to hold up a wide monitor?

I have seen a setup with a conveyor belt for printing bed. Means you can then increment with the 4th axis and print long long parts on a small bed. That way you could print a long honeycomb structure.

https://www.hackster.io/news/learn-how-to-add-a-conveyor-belt-to-your-3d-printer-2f9bd2c2b960

My 2c though is to get a proper monitor bracket like a North Bayou, clears up rout desk, gets the monitors up where your neck hurts less  ad tidies up cables.

Edited by dave303e
added link

11 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

Im the first one to dive into these exact types  of projects where there is a much better product available for delivery to your door from takealot.

not about the money, not about knowing you designed and solved the problem yourself, but sometimes aesthetic needs to win the argument.

My end result in the pics

97D870C0-813A-410E-B7C9-2B832A9B0785.jpeg

The only reason I recommend the monitor mount bracket is because it changed my work from home set up in a bid way. I also run 1 landscape and 1 portrait monitor for map and then code/table/word data and it allowed for a normal matching monitor to mount in portrait view.

Aesthetically it is just a beam up the back of the desk, I actually have a wooden shelf as well, but just to hold my desk holster and store random stuff like axs battery charger.

But that shelf of yours looks good