Dullstroom Road Routes?

Cav'

Heading to Dullstroom soon, would like to take the roadbike only.

Any suggestions on what roads to ride and which to stay away from?

- Strava Segment Explorer basically just shows a bunch of MTB routes/trails. (Not what I'm looking for.)

Cheers

the road from belfast to dullstroom is shocking, trucks flying and cars, I used to jump out at the highway ride through meet the wife in town after she unpacked the car :) and I had a few beers, honestly MTB many other lekke options, tar not so much unless you want to do loops up to belfast and back a few times I wouldnt waste my time, you really need to pay attention on those roads,, also keep in mind middleburg is the closest "REAL" hospital,,,,we spent a few hours in belfast hospital once after a cycling "challenge" that went horribly wrong, ended up driving to middelburg

the road from belfast to dullstroom is shocking, trucks flying and cars, I used to jump out at the highway ride through meet the wife in town after she unpacked the car :) and I had a few beers, honestly MTB many other lekke options, tar not so much unless you want to do loops up to belfast and back a few times I wouldnt waste my time, you really need to pay attention on those roads,, also keep in mind middleburg is the closest "REAL" hospital,,,,we spent a few hours in belfast hospital once after a cycling "challenge" that went horribly wrong, ended up driving to middelburg

Guess I should've booked a weekend in Sabie and not Dullstroom!

Bugger all road riding immediately around Dullstroom.

As has been said, there is no way I would ride the road between Dullstroom and Belfast or Dullstroom to Lydenberg.....way too dangerous!

Edited by EmptyB

Not allowed to ride mtb for 8 months due to two eye operations. I'll ride with the car to Lydenburg, leave it there and ride with the bike to Graskop (via Sabie). 

As the old bull said to the young bull while standing at the top of a hill overlooking a field full of cows "....". No need for me to tell you what he said, you heard it. Just leave the bike at home and go and enjoy the week end. It's not as if you are training for world champs.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I didn't see this when you initially posted it, but for future reference, the road down to the Highland Gate Golf Estate is a pretty good road cycling route. The turnoff is just outside Dullstroom on the road to Belfast, you take a left there and its basically a 15km descent (with a few small bumps) down to the golf course and then a 15km ascent back up to the turnoff. 650m climbing in total all at pretty decent altitude. Its pretty quiet because there isn't really anything out there other than a few guest lodges and the golf course. The road actually becomes gravel beyond the golf course (it seems the tar road was built specifically for the golf course) so there isn't much of a thoroughfare and so no reason really for trucks to be there. On top of that, the surface is quite good too, being a fairly new road and parts of it are scenic. Obviously not ideal going up and down the same road repeatedly but if you can do that 3 times, I'd say you can treat yourself to some nice beers at the pub afterwards.

https://www.strava.com/routes/6437612

Edited by Pall Catt

Sorry I didn't see this when you initially posted it, but for future reference, the road down to the Highland Gate Golf Estate is a pretty good road cycling route. The turnoff is just outside Dullstroom on the road to Belfast, you take a left there and its basically a 15km descent (with a few small bumps) down to the golf course and then a 15km ascent back up to the turnoff. 650m climbing in total all at pretty decent altitude. Its pretty quiet because there isn't really anything out there other than a few guest lodges and the golf course. The road actually becomes gravel beyond the golf course (it seems the tar road was built specifically for the golf course) so there isn't much of a thoroughfare and so no reason really for trucks to be there. On top of that, the surface is quite good too, being a fairly new road and parts of it are scenic. Obviously not ideal going up and down the same road repeatedly but if you can do that 3 times, I'd say you can treat yourself to some nice beers at the pub afterwards.

Saw that road yeah, will do it in the future.

My wife dropped me off in Lydenburg with the car and then I rode to Sabie via Long Tom Pass. (very enjoyable) 

Yip, rode that road with my son a few weeks back, although we joined it from the Elandskloof sand road on our MTB's. Nice new road with a shoulder to ride on, not that busy. You will pass the bird of prey lodge on your right as you turn left coming from Dullstrom. Nice undulating road for a nice workout! Only road I would ride on my road bike around there!

Umm - if you are feeling strong you can go down the highland gate road. Its all freewheel down and it's all uphill back up again. Its not for the faint of heart and a couple of laps of that will ensure you have done your hill intervals for a long time. Its quiet and pretty nice as a road so its a nice ride.

But, TBH I would take an MTB - thta way you have a lot more variety, and can also ride district roads for miles. Too many coal trucks on the main routes.

Umm - if you are feeling strong you can go down the highland gate road. Its all freewheel down and it's all uphill back up again. Its not for the faint of heart and a couple of laps of that will ensure you have done your hill intervals for a long time. Its quiet and pretty nice as a road so its a nice ride.

But, TBH I would take an MTB - thta way you have a lot more variety, and can also ride district roads for miles. Too many coal trucks on the main routes.

Next time I go to Dunkeld, I'm definitely also taking the mtb.