Refund for wheels

King of the downhill

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ADVR, what was the reason for taking a screenshot of the ad and hanging onto it for 6 months? This is generally not common practice IMO

no, an admin was kind enough to send it to me after requesting it

For joining the discussion, putting your argument forward and prolonging the joy that it this thread, i am giving you your first LIKE.

There you go...but i'm taking it back in 6months.

Hi All, I am new here and clearly dont have any friends here or support. Nevertherless keep an open mind.

I bought the wheels. Gulzar told me he removed the yellow stickers as it clashed with his colour scheme. I did not mind this. I bought them in the evening on Koeberg Road after work and put them away till now.. I have started building a bike and got the wheels out ready  to go. 

The truth is the front rim was replaced with a cheap quality rim and the stickers transferred. I know this as the front rim has a completely new braking surface.

Gulzar said with all his knowledge and experience, riders brake more with the rear. I call bull**** !

Reality is the front rim should show more brake wear than the rear.

It may not be a huge amount of money in cycling terms but the principle is solid. Had i bought no name wheels that would have been one thing. I bought Syncros wheels and got a cheap fong kong rim with Syncros stickers.

Even more concerning is the stress line around the entire rim. If you need to replace a rim, then a similar quality is acceptable. Dont slap on cheap rubbish and throw it out there with nice stickers.

6 months is a long time....I am afraid you will have to take this one on the chin!

Hi fellow hubbers.....I have been a hubber (and more importantly) a happy cyclist, for a few years now.....I have also sold many a bike part on the hub and occasionally,a full bike.....A few months back I sold a set of Syncros wheels to a buyer.....To my knowledge wheels were in good nick and rode really awesome but I had another set so I decided to sell these.....Long story short.....after almost 6 months this guy NOW comes back to me and tell me there is a "stress mark" on the one rim and insists that I take back the wheelset and give him a full refund........SERIOUS....... He had a good look at the wheels when purchasing them and my question is......If he saw the "stress mark" now....why did he not see it at point of purchase????? Please advise as to what will be the right thing for me to do.....I have only 100% ratings on the Hub...... P.S.  He claims he only took out the wheels now to start a build with them.........PLEASE HELP.....

Regards

King of the Downhill.....

if you knew about the defect but did not tell him then legally he has a claim.

If you did not, politely decline.

Voetstoets is not a blanket absolution when selling anything, there is much misunderstanding as to what voetstoets really is.

What type of insurance?

Bicycle insurance, if I crash while training or riding I can claim damages. Same as if I accidentally ride over my bike with a car. No joke I once took my bike off the rack and put it next to the rack. I saw a closer parking spot open and started reversing thinking my bike was still on the rack. Luckily I heard the bike fall and stopped just as my tyre touched the bikes tyre. No damage shooo....so no claim...

if you knew about the defect but did not tell him then legally he has a claim.

If you did not, politely decline.

Voetstoets is not a blanket absolution when selling anything, there is much misunderstanding as to what voetstoets really is.

The OP said that according to him the wheels were in good nick.

So, he was not aware of any defect.

Therefore, he did not represent to the buyer a product with the knowledge that the product had a defect.

That would have been a misrepresentation.

The buyer bought it, did not inspect it and wait...waited 6 months before raising the "alarm".

But if he's telling the Insurance its 2nd hand wheels, I don't think they will insure it.

The kicker here is the time frame. Does anybody in any industry warrantee 2nd hand goods for 6 months. Regardless whether they have been used or not .

i bought a bike from a fellow hubber, had it for 2 months in storage before i took it into the LBS to get it serviced before riding.

I get told from the mechanic that the rear wheel has a few tiny micro fractures which is why they cant tension it correctly.

I figured it was my bad for not seeing it at the time (albeit being very difficult to spot). Bought a set of new wheels and wrote it off as a learning experience.

Unfortunately my experience of buying off the hub is that of a total lottery, i have also realized that one persons 'good condition' is my version of 'totally abused'.

I wouldnt entertain that after 6 months if i was the original poster, having said that there are always 2 sides to the story (like mine)

To be fair, I rode my training wheels for years, no problems, a re spoking once, then when the bike went in to insurance assessor, I get told the rims are a write off... I would have sold them as well used reliable wheels and in good faith. Sometimes you can ride something for years and not know it has a stress factor as does not affect you.

Welcome to the Hub ADVR.

Thank you for putting your version of events forward.

I note that you must have negotiated a reduction in price. This would constitute a counter-offer which was obviously accepted by the seller.

The question is: What would a REASONABLE MAN have done when buying used products advertised in the classifieds?

a) Take them without inspecting them, wait 6 months and then inspect them

b) Inspect them properly before bringing a contract to conclusion

c) Expect a 6 month warranty even when none was offered

It is totally unreasonable to expect any sort of warranty unless it formed part of your contract. If the wheels are no longer what you want, sell them and get a set that suits your expectation. You should obviously b prepared to pay in line with your expectation.

no, i paid full price R1400.

I could not sell them like this.

i have not checked if the profile is identical. i will tonight

i am not calling it a warranty. This is a dud and there is no time restriction on misrepresentation.

Bicycle insurance, if I crash while training or riding I can claim damages. Same as if I accidentally ride over my bike with a car. No joke I once took my bike off the rack and put it next to the rack. I saw a closer parking spot open and started reversing thinking my bike was still on the rack. Luckily I heard the bike fall and stopped just as my tyre touched the bikes tyre. No damage shooo....so no claim...

But if he had this type of insurance it would not cover him for what he alleged, only if the wheel was damaged during use after the sale not so. 

But the Big Question here is?

1. Do you have a Instagram acc that we can have a look at?
  2. And do you like taking selfies ? :whistling:

The OP said that according to him the wheels were in good nick.

So, he was not aware of any defect.

Therefore, he did not represent to the buyer a product with the knowledge that the product had a defect.

That would have been a misrepresentation.

The buyer bought it, did not inspect it and wait...waited 6 months before raising the "alarm".

the rims were neat , clean and straight. spun freely . that is what i checked before handing over money.

Since the original picture, the rim was replaced and  stickers swapped.

Archived