The 100th Giro d'Italia

'Dale

Decided to do a bigger day than the guys at the Giro today so did a little 250km to Thewaterskloof and back to town, was only to pop onto twitter and seeing too off his kid gloves and started calling things how the rest of us are seeing things. 

Waiting for him to tell Nibali the only way he will drop him on a climb is if he holds onto a Skoda!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only watched now.

Holy cow, NQ is simply the most negative rider I have seen recently.

Maybe saving himself to get dropped by Froome in July?

Get your popcorn. .

Whahahahaha

This is hilarious. .some mind games going on.. Dumoulin has Nibali in quite a hissy fit now.. tomorrow Nibali will try and go prove a point and explode something spectacularly ..and perhaps even Quintanna cause I think they have almost reach the point of desperation cause they can't shake him

1ff73af7f5d05b71a7e457680e604854.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

All that is going to happen if he tries that, he will attack, Tom will ride back to him and counter and Nibali will be done.

Great race today. Movistar just to strong for the others today.

Pity about the motorbike incident; would have been interesting to see if the result would have been any different.

Pinot impressive with his ride. Always thought he displayed more balls than brains but today's ride proved otherwise.

As for Tejay and Rolland; i doubt we'll be seeing them finish in the top 6 in any of the tours going forward

I posted the above comment about Tejay and Rolland just over a week ago.

At the time it seemed to me as if we were seeing the end of 2 GC challengers.

I'm not retracting my statement;  i still believe that they will not be serious contenders for the top 6 placings, but the past couple of days have made me "eat humble pie".

Congratulations to both cyclists, and their long suffering supporters :thumbup: , on 2 outstanding wins.

Hope their performances provide the necessary motivational springboard for more such days  :clap:

Oh no

Landa left the door open on that right bend for Tejay to have the perfect racing line ????

Exactly

Exactly X 2!!!

Yah, I dont understand the big "Hoo Hah" over Quintana, I cant remember him doing anything even remotely spectacular on his own, once he is without a wheel to follow he simply drifts back into the  peleton. 

I think Tom has this one cut and dried, barring a major issue like a hunger bonk or a mechanical or another run into the bushes, they are going to have a hard job unseating him.  

The podium chase is still strong

Thrilling stuff

And deep into week 3 anything can happen.

The beautiful Giro  :wub:

Yah, I dont understand the big "Hoo Hah" over Quintana, I cant remember him doing anything even remotely spectacular on his own, once he is without a wheel to follow he simply drifts back into the peleton.

I think Tom has this one cut and dried, barring a major issue like a hunger bonk or a mechanical or another run into the bushes, they are going to have a hard job unseating him.

Yip.. indeed.

So he won the Giro by attacking on a descent after the red flag went up when the others sat up. .he won the Vuelta by jumping on Berts wheel.. and had it not been for Valverde screwing with the skyborg that wouldn't have worked either.

Yes I thought wow this guy is going to be a Great GT rider after that Giro victory turns out he hasn't won a GT through his own initiative... I was fooled.

He is pretty poor on flat tough stages when there is some wind. He can't descend well enough to get a descent gap..shown again today..had the perfect opportunity to work with the 2 Orica guys. .but chose instead to follow wheels so Orica decided well no we aren't dragging you all over the place. . And he can't ride a good enough TT.

Yeah.. a great climber. But it seems like that is all.

Some footage that includes Quintana attacking

Animating

Getting to 2nd on GC doesn't take a sparkling personality and all-round skills

Horses for courses / mountains for grimpeurs ????

What gears do the pros use in the Giro d’Italia’s mountain stages?

Gregor Brown - May 25, 2017

We asked around to see what combination of gears the pros use to get up and down the mountains passes of the 100th Giro d'Italia.

We spoke to the riders and mechanics to understand what they use in the last mountainous week.

The Giro’s final week crosses several famous climbs, including the Stelvio and the Mortirolo. The route through the Dolomite mountains to Ortisei on stage 18 covers three passes above 2000 metres and gradients often in the double digits.

“This Giro is a 38 or 39 [front inner chainring] by 30 [cassette], that’s what we are using through this Giro without steep climbs like the Zoncolan or the Mortirolo from Mazzo,” team BMC Racing coach and former rider Marco Pinotti told Cycling Weekly.

He pointed out to the sunny mountains around the start town. He said the roads are statale or bigger state roads instead of smaller local or provincial roads.

“We decided to use a maximum 30 in the back, and a 39/53 up front for everyone through the race, using a 30 in the back always on the climbing stages. This Giro doesn’t have sections of 16 or 17 per cent.

“It has long and hard climbs, but they’re statale roads.

“Some of our riders always will use 38, a little easier, but that’s dependent on the rider, to give them more leverage when they attack.”

BMC Racing uses Shimano, like most teams including Team Sky, Quick-Step Floors, Astana and Trek-Segafredo.

Portuguese mechanic Jose Eduardo Santos rushed around the Trek-Segafredo bikes. Others view him with awe as he is supposed to be one of the fastest wheel changers in the group.

“Bauke Mollema uses a 39-28 on most mountain days and a 30 on some other days,” Santos explained.

“The other guys will use a 36-30, but Mollema always keeps a 39-tooth ring on, he doesn’t use a 36. He’ll keep the 39-28 on it as well for the Dolomite stage.”

Spanish rider Luis León Sánchez rolled by and stopped. His Astana team uses Argon 18 bikes with Shimano groupsets.

“I have a 39-32 today [stage 17], but I’ll make changes every day,” Sánchez explained. “I had that same for the Stelvio, a 39-32.”

Belgian Iljo Keisse (Quick-Step Floors) trained on his rollers and laughed when he heard that BMC Racing uses 39-30 through the entire Giro.

“I don’t really see the BMC guys in my gruppetto!” Keisse said. “Our team has two teams, one around Bob Jungels and one around Fernando Gaviria, and our group doesn’t climb that well!

“I change gears often, for the mountain stages, 38 in front, and 32 in the back. That’s what I had on the Stelvio stage and I’ll keep using it because I’m done, I had a really bad day [on the Stelvio]. On the steep parts I need the small gears because I have no more power!”

He said that the team mechanics do not need to switch cassettes, but wheels. They have the high-profile wheels with smaller cassettes and the low-profile ones with the climbing gears up to a 32-tooth gear.

Lotto-Soudal uses Campagnolo with different gearing options for their riders like Maxime Monfort and sprinter Moreno Hofland.

“We maybe have more options, but we don’t have a 30 gear to use in a back, so it’s 29 or 32 in the back, and the difference is a bit too big,” Lotto-Soudal mechanic, Nick Mondelaers explained.

“Most of our men will use a 36×29 and some, the climbers with stronger legs, will have a 39 and a 32 in the back. Hofland, our remaining sprinter, uses a 36 by 29.

“On the normal stages or the other mountain stages, they use a 39 in the front and a 29 on the back. And that’s more than fine for the normal stages.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geez

The scenery today ????

Oh Italy. .

Almost looks like a Hollywood set.

The podium chase is still strong

Thrilling stuff

And deep into week 3 anything can happen.

The beautiful Giro :wub:

The Giro seldom disappoints

Yip.. indeed.

So he won the Giro by attacking on a descent after the red flag went up when the others sat up. .he won the Vuelta by jumping on Berts wheel.. and had it not been for Valverde screwing with the skyborg that wouldn't have worked either.

Yes I thought wow this guy is going to be a Great GT rider after that Giro victory turns out he hasn't won a GT through his own initiative... I was fooled.

He is pretty poor on flat tough stages when there is some wind. He can't descend well enough to get a descent gap..shown again today..had the perfect opportunity to work with the 2 Orica guys. .but chose instead to follow wheels so Orica decided well no we aren't dragging you all over the place. . And he can't ride a good enough TT.

Yeah.. a great climber. But it seems like that is all.

Yah, and theres lots of other more well rounded athletes in the peleton now, like Tom who can climb and TT and ride the flats, unless the other more rounded athletes crack completely and get shelled on the mountains Quintana can only get a few seconds and has to work very hard for that, whereas Tom can take minutes in a short TT, so Yah, you really will struggle to win a GT now as just a climber. 

Archived