2016 Red Bull Rampage

Nick

What's the odds for more spinal injuries this year?

Not that I am not looking forward to the event. But it is worth the risk of just one paralysis?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the odds for more spinal injuries this year?

Not that I am not looking forward to the event. But it is worth the risk of just one paralysis?

Well, we still send thousands of laaities onto the rugby field every year.  Can't eliminate all risk when risk is part of the allure to the event.  From what I gather the risk is being mitigated massively this year by changing the structure of the contest.  No more qualifying rounds.  Just practise and a final.  Plus everyone that's there gets a part of the prize money so the incentive to risk life and limb unduly has been reduced significantly.

Same with DH racing, MotoGP, scrums.  You will have injuries.  Even deaths unfortunately.  But as long as the structure of the sport does not encourage recklessness then all that is left is the inherent risks associated with the sport, which these participants signed up for.

Past years it went beyond that.  Guys were pushed to take stupid risks just to get in the finals, and then pushed even harder to get some pay.  Now guys will ride to win and still walk away from the event.

everyone that's there gets a part of the prize money so the incentive to risk life and limb unduly has been reduced significantly.

Any details on this? The total prize fund has almost quadrupled in the last 5 years. There's also less riders this year than before. Same amount on money spread a little more evenly?

I can't get why this has been organised for Friday. It would be awesome to watch live, but I've actually got work to do.

I can't get why this has been organised for Friday. It would be awesome to watch live, but I've actually got work to do.

at 6:30pm? 

at 6:30pm? 

Yes. Here in Europe knock-off isn't at 4:00pm.  

If it starts at 6:30pm I'll probably only miss the first few runs. Hoping they aren't Strait, Brendog or Semenuk.

Yes. Here in Europe knock-off isn't at 4:00pm.  

If it starts at 6:30pm I'll probably only miss the first few runs. Hoping they aren't Strait, Brendog or Semenuk.

aah forgot you weren't on GMT+2

aah forgot you weren't on GMT+2

According to redbulltv it's starts 18h30 CEST, so, I shouldn't miss too much of the action.

Probably so they have Sat an Sun if the weather is bad on Friday

Well, we still send thousands of laaities onto the rugby field every year.  Can't eliminate all risk when risk is part of the allure to the event.  From what I gather the risk is being mitigated massively this year by changing the structure of the contest.  No more qualifying rounds.  Just practise and a final.  Plus everyone that's there gets a part of the prize money so the incentive to risk life and limb unduly has been reduced significantly.

Same with DH racing, MotoGP, scrums.  You will have injuries.  Even deaths unfortunately.  But as long as the structure of the sport does not encourage recklessness then all that is left is the inherent risks associated with the sport, which these participants signed up for.

Past years it went beyond that.  Guys were pushed to take stupid risks just to get in the finals, and then pushed even harder to get some pay.  Now guys will ride to win and still walk away from the event.

I watched a RB movie on the history of DH skateboarding in the 70's in the USA. The stuff these nutters did was amazing. No safety, no brakes  - not even straw bales at the side of the track. One of the female contestants crashed in a skate car doing around 90kph. Hit a kerb and some spectators. They were running out of ambulances so many other people got injured. Had to be revived 3 times, lost a lung and broke all her ribs and shoulder blade in 14 places.  

Humans are crazy and the more dangerous the better it seems.

If you look at what Josh Bender and some of the others used to get up to and the history of the Rampage, its clear that spinal injuries are not that common in freeride. Cant say the same for concussion and broken limbs however.

Humans are crazy and the more dangerous the better it seems.

If you look at what Josh Bender and some of the others used to get up to and the history of the Rampage, its clear that spinal injuries are not that common in freeride. Cant say the same for concussion and broken limbs however.

Indeed, lot of crazy sports out there like base jumping.

There are quite a few broken back stories in slope style & freeriding (Brett Reefer, Sam the Man) its just damn lucky no spinal injuries occur as well. That's coming from someone who counts his blessings in that regard.

But at least this year they are giving all the competitors a slice of the cake and making it less pressured, still hecto tho, ride safe bros!

Archived