Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

Haha thanks. Also had a wider of the buoy approach in mind. Any tips on goggles and it fogging up?

I use anti fog on my goggles or a little baby shampoo spread on the inside (rise very lightly). If they still fog up with that on, it may be time for a new set. 

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use anti fog on my goggles or a little baby shampoo spread on the inside (rise very lightly). If they still fog up with that on, it may be time for a new set. 

Thanks. Will try that in the warm water of the gym swimming pool. If it fails I'm definitely buying a new pair

I have pulled out of Durban. Physio has stopped me from running completely. I was just making some really good gains in my running, and now have hit a wall with injuries. Was even starting to run off the bike comfortably, and fast (for me).

Not going to race when I am not running fit again. Just not worth it imo, and if the race goes badly, I am worried I just don't try again. Will rather do shorter races this year and focus on strength and core work to fix my running issues. Seeing an amazing pysio now. She is also a professional triathlete, so I am feeling really confident we will have this sorted. I just want to keep my eye on the bigger picture (IM next year if I am ready and Comrades in the next 3 years). I also want to do some ultra trail runs at some stage, so need to get this done right. 

I have been off the last week, but my stats were:

Cycling 31 hours

Running 27 hours

Swimming 5 hours  :whistling:

Not super great, but was slowly ramping up my running. For interest sake, even though I did so little swimming, my last 400 time trial was 2 seconds slower, and still my second best time ever. Really speaks to technique being the biggest factor. 

Wondered why had not seen your training workouts on strava.... shouldn't stop you swimming and cycling!!... Maybe the shin splints caused due to your arches collapsing... you more of a flat footed person?  If so you might need orthopedic inserts to support your arches.

Good luck with the physio!!

Wondered why had not seen your training workouts on strava.... shouldn't stop you swimming and cycling!!... Maybe the shin splints caused due to your arches collapsing... you more of a flat footed person?  If so you might need orthopedic inserts to support your arches.

Good luck with the physio!!

Thanks shaper. I decided to take a few days to just spend with the family and do normal people type things. I will probably start again on Saturday. I feel more positive, and focused. Been training non-stop since Feb last year (except a two week break from bad bronchitis last year).  

Not flat footed, quite the opposite. The physio was shocked and said my right leg is a cm shorter than the left. She said it's super rare, and I should start running with a slight heel raiser in my shoe. Will see how that feels and take it very slowly with that. My knee tracking is also off as I need more strength in my inner thighs to keep the knee moving correctly when I run, so will be working on that, along with glute and core strength. 

I am a little skeptical about the length difference as the only way to tell with 100% certainty is through scans and xrays. Will just take it slower, and expect to have a few more bumps before I am running 100% pain free. 

Thanks shaper. I decided to take a few days to just spend with the family and do normal people type things. I will probably start again on Saturday. I feel more positive, and focused. Been training non-stop since Feb last year (except a two week break from bad bronchitis last year).  

Not flat footed, quite the opposite. The physio was shocked and said my right leg is a cm shorter than the left. She said it's super rare, and I should start running with a slight heel raiser in my shoe. Will see how that feels and take it very slowly with that. My knee tracking is also off as I need more strength in my inner thighs to keep the knee moving correctly when I run, so will be working on that, along with glute and core strength. 

I am a little skeptical about the length difference as the only way to tell with 100% certainty is through scans and xrays. Will just take it slower, and expect to have a few more bumps before I am running 100% pain free. 

What is this break from training you talk of??  :whistling:  :P ... such a foreign concept these days hahaha

Maybe go see a podiatrist and get a second opinion with regard difference in leg length?  Most people have a difference but not as pronounced as yours if it is the case

Difference in length will affect running gait as hip will drop one side and you may over compensate the other side.  Whether this affects enough for shin splints I do not know, but can see why been told to work on core, hip flexors, abductors and glutes to strengthen this area and run in a more natural pose, lessen dropping of hips and improve tracking when running.

I use anti fog on my goggles or a little baby shampoo spread on the inside (rise very lightly). If they still fog up with that on, it may be time for a new set.

Thanks for the tip. It worked great and my goggles were fog free for during my 30min swim

Make sure your hips and back are all correctly aligned, because if they are not, it can cause a perceived difference in length.

Make sure your hips and back are all correctly aligned, because if they are not, it can cause a perceived difference in length.

Thanks. Yes - going to see a chiro to have another look over. 

Why not do the swim aN cycle an take it from there. Keep in the game so to speak.

Not worth the time off from work, the accommodation and travel costs, etc. Will do the 5150s this year, and then maybe the new Ultra Gauteng in November. Lead that into EL and then potentially IMSA, and Durban after that (to get the big medal). 

Not worth the time off from work, the accommodation and travel costs, etc. Will do the 5150s this year, and then maybe the new Ultra Gauteng in November. Lead that into EL and then potentially IMSA, and Durban after that (to get the big medal).

Sometimes you just gotta say **** it and do it....

My opinion, and only my Ill informed, unprofessional , stupid opinion is you should do it. It is end of season event in ZA basically, throw caution to the winds, draw yr broadsword, look fear in the face and go have fun. Can pull out anytime, no pressure.

Any recommendations on which bike transport to use for Durbs? I used 'Bicycle Transport' for EL and was very happy with them, although they are charging R950 for Durbs?

Is this the going rate?