Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

What amazing weather !!!

Finished in 5.57 so I am very happy with my time considering the lack of training.

Swim 37 min

Cycle 3.02

Run 1.57

My Transitions were the longest ever, something like 17 minutes !!

I will hopefully send through a bit more of a detailed race report later.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from Durbs so post race report:

As this was pretty much a taper since IMSA in April, was hoping some of the fitness and form would carry through... which am happy to say it did :)  My goal for Durbs was to enjoy the race more, take it easy on the swim and cycle and see how hard I could push on the run as have always struggled doing this flat run.  I much prefer EL and PE runs!!

Weather was kind and no sapping heatwave on the cycle and run... so was a bonus!

Took the swim nice and easy in 38 mins, went out hard on the cycle then took it easy on the way back as there was quite a headwind, cycle done in 2:46 and felt good for the run.  Started fast and maintained the speed and form with a 1:47

Finished in 5:25

My transitions were also long around 12 mins in total, which i guess was in most part to having to run roughly 700m in cleats for T1.  The new T1 with the revised swim in front of Ushaka was a long thin strip of 2 bike racks roughly 600m in length.

Downside to the new swim location and T1 is the change area is too small, people were falling over one another trying to get changed as there was insufficient space.  Then add to that the 700m run in cleats which worked the calves.  Then there is the 3-4km neutral non racing start to the cycle along the promenade before you get on to the M4... not idea if you looking to race.

Final downside, having finished the race, your street ware bag is about 1km away from race village and was mass queues to retrieve both your street and bike bag.  When I collected mine it was early enough that it wasn't a problem but when I went to collect a mates bag 2hrs later it was complete chaos!

Otherwise happy with the race, especially my run and collecting the tour medal for doing all 3 this year :)

post-33015-0-36325400-1497868307_thumb.jpg

Congrats to all that competed.

Just out of curiosity, was the pro field weekend as the winning time of 4.08 seems slow compared to the sub 3.50 one sees now days?

Congrats to all that competed.

Just out of curiosity, was the pro field weekend as the winning time of 4.08 seems slow compared to the sub 3.50 one sees now days?

No Pro's racing... heard a rumour that they were not prepared to put up the prize money for the Pro's this year.... whether that is true or not I still have yet to be confirmed.

No Pro's racing... heard a rumour that they were not prepared to put up the prize money for the Pro's this year.... whether that is true or not I still have yet to be confirmed.

Interesting. Also saw that it was the same date as European Champs

Otherwise happy with the race, especially my run and collecting the tour medal for doing all 3 this year :)

Cracking time, well done!

I couldn't wait to hear about the transitions, that run in the cleats sounds like hell.

I couldn't wait to hear about the transitions, that run in the cleats sounds like hell.

That's why you should learn flying mounts.

Just kidding of course... 

Some great times shaper and gurns. 

It was, even the refs were giving advice to clip your shoes to your bike, run in socks or bare feet, get on your bike at the mount line and pedal 10m into the race.... then stop, dismount, un-clip your shoes and put them on and remount your bike... as technically once you have crossed the mount line you are in the race and can do what you want... whether it would be quicker I don't know... i decided to run in cleats.

i decided to run in cleats.

I would too. I like my socks stone-free and dry when I ride thanks.

That's why you should learn flying mounts.

Just kidding of course... 

As much as I picture myself a racing pro. sadly not..  :lol:

Short Race Report.

Registered Friday and attended race briefing. Racked bike and hung bags on Saturday, all was good in the land.

Alarm went off at 4.30am Sunday morning, and was in the car driving  by 5.15, as I live about 45 minutes outside of Durban. My gorgeous wife dropped me at 6am as planned and I was looking forward to a fine Fathers day. The sea looked good, and the weather prediction was positive.

I had decided to take the whole day easy due to my lack of training, as well as having spent about 2 weeks in London and Italy (Amalfi Coast - absolutely amazing) on holiday, so I was well rested.

Standing at the start reminded me of my first Ultra Tri 20 years ago, which started in almost the same spot, but we swam all the way up to Pirates. I was so seasick that day, but that is another story. Started in the sub 40min batch, and the swim was just fantastic. My goggles ended up leaking, probably because they had not been used much in the last 3 months, sorted that out, and had a relaxed 37 min swim.

Running up the beach had my heart rate going properly. Got my bag, and found a spot to change amongst the crowds. My feet were still caked with sand, and that's when I realized that I had forgotten to put a small towel in my bag. Fortunately someone next to me offered theirs.

Onto the bike, and I did not mind the no passing zone as I was still planning on taking it easy. As I got going, I noticed that my heart rate monitor had stopped working, but I figured that I would just go on feel. No wind, which got me really excited! The ride was uneventful all the way to the turn point, and I was averaging a solid 29 kph, which is more that I had planned for. There were a number of athletes that definitely had not signed the "I am true" pledge, and they were looking like well organized peletons. Anyway, legs and everything were still feeling good, so I thought that I would try for more of the same on the way back, but erring on the side of caution. I use a HRM to put a cap on my efforts so I was a bit concerned that I might be pushing a bit too hard.

After the turn, I realized that there was a slight breeze, and that I was now into a slight headwind. A very pleasant return leg, with maybe a bit more of an effort expended in the last 10kays than I would have liked. Vanity - I thought 30kph would look much better on the time sheet than 29kph.

Cycle done in 3.02

Another long transition, not sure what I was up to, but both transitions added up to 17 min.

And so onto the run, I started running comfortably and I knew that I would definitely get to the 10km mark before having to walk. I was running in the region of 5.20 to 5.40 per km, which was according to plan. At this point, I was still thinking that I may have to walk for 3 or 4 kays at the end, so there was very little pressure that I was going to finish outside of my predicted 6.30 total time.

Got to the 10k mark, and I was still feeling strong(ish). I then visualized one of my 5k routes and knew I could run that before walking. I ran past the 16k point, and visualized a 3k route that I run on the farm, and knew that I could also do that. While running past Bike and Bean, a couple of Babes cheered so loudly for me that I simply had to turn on some speed so as not to disappoint them, and this motivation lasted until the final turn point at Blue Lagoon. Unfortunately they were not there when I ran past on the return. The pace then slowed, until vanity kicked in again when I realized that  I could complete the run in under 2hrs, so picked it up again and completed the run in 1.58.

Total time of 5.57 which was way better than anticipated. It was a great day out. The organization was superb, but the logistics were hampered by the available space. Getting my Bike bag was a bit of a schlepp, and then having to go all the way back to T2 to get my bike and run bag on tired legs wasn't the best.

I will be back next year for sure.

So bleak I didn't do it. Was interested to see how I would fare with the less appropriate training regime of surfing, hockey and cycling (you have to do one thing proper).

Beautiful day out and was fun supporting for a change. 

Well done to all who participated!