Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Swim was lekka, definitely longer than 1.9. Cycle went well and was beautiful when I remembered to look up and at the coast. The run was brutal on last 8 km, hit 3 cokes + extra water at the same aid station at some point but pleased with my result. Aimed for 05:30 and came in at 05:24:16

SWIM 00:40:52
BIKE 02:41:19
RUN 01:53:27

OVERALL 05:24:16

TRANSITION DETAILS

T1:SWIM-TO-BIKE 00:05:33
T2:BIKE-TO-RUN 00:03:05

There were some animals out there on the bike. Definitely adds to the experience hearing TT bikes coming up from behind and seeing them become little dots in the distance - inspiring!

I had a great weekend. My swim was 2230 long so added a few minutes to my overall time. The cycle was beautiful with hardly any wind the second lap was very busy. I think most people were playing fair as I didn't notice the big bunches I have seen in the past. I have put in a lot of extra effort on the bike recently and It paid off. I was then very pleasantly surprised I could keep up a good pace for the run. I finished in 4:57 which is a PB for Durban and my second sub 5 hour 70.3. I'm super happy and looking forward to a month or two of taking it a bit easier.

Before I forget...

Apologies to everyone I had to squeeze past in the swim chutes.

It was me that never put my timing chip on and had to work my way to the front of everyone to get a replacement 25 minutes before the start.

And then had to go back again to where I actually wanted to start.

Sorry and thanks for letting me through.

5.54 Overall so I was happy with that.

Swim - 41 minutes, goal was 40

Cycle - 2.56, goal was 3

Run - 2.03, I was hoping to go under 2.

It was an awesome day out, with Durban showing off as it does at this time of year. Swim was nice and calm with no crowding at all.

The cycle was really enjoyable, it was my first race with my new bike, and what a Bike. Happy is an understatement.

Run was going very well, first 10k in 50min, and then with about 8k to go, drank 2 cups of coke and ended up with an airlock, which slowed me down considerably.

Great day out.

Definitely back next year.

Finally back from holiday, and here's how my race went.

Woke up the Friday morning before race Sunday with the dreaded COLD. Did not feel too bad, and was luckily still above the neck. 

Race day - My cold was still there but luckily no fever and still above my neck. Was shocked to see my swim time when I got out of the sea. Almost 4 min slower than expected. But looks like the swim was about 200m longer than usual. I measured 2188m

Took it easy on the bike to save my legs for the run, and it was a perfect day weather wise. Run was good, and started out at 5:50 to 6:00 min/km, and that is where it stayed throughout my run. Tried to pick up the pace the last 7km, but I could feel the energy slipping away from my body. It took everything left in me to try and finish strong.

Swim - 39:45

Bike - 2:54

Run - 2:05

Total - 5:52, that I'm really happy with. 

Tuesday after the race, the flu had me in bed for 5 days and missing my whole holiday in Umhlanga. Still trying to recover from it :thumbdown:

Also heard someone died in their sleep the night after the race due to racing with a flu :(

Has anyone received pictures of the event? Last year they were pretty quick to send them out

Has anyone received pictures of the event? Last year they were pretty quick to send them out

Received my pics two days after race day. One is now my profile pic :D