Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

Hi guys, anybody staying at the Garden Court South Beach Hotel?

Staying at the Protea hotel close to the swim start.

Looks like we are going to have great weather. 6 days to go!

post-14677-0-77324300-1558939958_thumb.jpg

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, anybody staying at the Garden Court South Beach Hotel?

Yes I am, Saturday, Sunday, Monday

Can anyone clarify the drafting and passing rule in the 2km zone before we go out onto the highway. What happens if the person infront of you is moving crazily slow? What are you supposed to do, if not passing is allowed?

Can anyone clarify the drafting and passing rule in the 2km zone before we go out onto the highway. What happens if the person infront of you is moving crazily slow? What are you supposed to do, if not passing is allowed?

Last year many guys passed me with no consequences at all, and we were not going so slow. If a guy is going really slowly, just pass him quickly. 

As far as I remember from last year the rule was pretty relaxed at least from where started. There were lots of people adjusting shoes at the beginning so passing was difficult to avoid. Then when I encountered some very slow riders I did the right thing and held back until I got passed by masses of other people and decided (after checking for martials) to do the same.

Pass them, if you on a tri-bike just stay out of the extensions/aero position until you hit the road after the 2kms

I'm trying to understand the cleats on the bike thing? Are you guys saying that the distance from where you get you bag and pop on your bike gear is really far from your actual bike and therefore running in the cleats is a bit of a problem? if so how far?

There are only two rails for bike racking. Last year I was racked right at the end so after running up the beach and through the changing area I still had about 3-400m to go before I reached my bike.

I always go barefoot and keep my shoes cleated and help upright with rubber bands. In this race the rewards are greater than usual because of the long transition.

There are only two rails for bike racking. Last year I was racked right at the end so after running up the beach and through the changing area I still had about 3-400m to go before I reached my bike.

I always go barefoot and keep my shoes cleated and help upright with rubber bands. In this race the rewards are greater than usual because of the long transition.

I've got MTB cleats so a 400m run shouldn't be so bad, I have not practised getting into my cleats while riding.

Does anyone know in what format the Biogen juice and water is provided on the ride? I.e. bottles you can put straight into your bottle cage or small cups / water sachets?

Thanks

Does anyone know in what format the Biogen juice and water is provided on the ride? I.e. bottles you can put straight into your bottle cage or small cups / water sachets?

Thanks

Biogen will be in sports bottles, and water will be in Pump bottles with a little squeezed out so they fit into a bottle cage. 

Edited by @ndy

Biogen will be in sports bottles, and water will be in Pump bottles with a little squeezed out so they fit into a bottle cage. 

Awesome, thanks!

I've got MTB cleats so a 400m run shouldn't be so bad, I have not practised getting into my cleats while riding.

Run through transition in your MTB shoes. You will be fine.

Run through transition in your MTB shoes. You will be fine.

In theory yes, but I have found that my ankles feel it a day later if I run in those MTB shoes, even if it is only 100m. Rather leave them on the bike and put them on on the side of the road before or after the mount line if you are not comfortable in putting them on while riding. But please o please don't do it where you will obstruct the flow!