OVAL MTB chainring feedback

rsgreen

Hi guys,

Wanted some feedback from anyone who has used an oval chainring for a 1x setup, the good, the bad and whether or not it is something to look into on a long term basis.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been riding mine since October last year.  Absolute Black 34T with XT 11-42 cassette.  More than enough gears for anything and easier on my knees.

Even fitted Absolute Black rings to my road bike.

For me there are only positives  

Hi guys,

Wanted some feedback from anyone who has used an oval chainring for a 1x setup, the good, the bad and whether or not it is something to look into on a long term basis.

Running a 34t round ring at present and I can see there is not enough chainstay clearance to run a 34 oval - just something to check - your frame needs enough clearance for the maximum diameter of the ring that you select.   For example a 34 oval probably has the diameter of a 36t ring on its long axis.

Been riding mine since October last year. Absolute Black 34T with XT 11-42 cassette. More than enough gears for anything and easier on my knees.

Even fitted Absolute Black rings to my road bike.

For me there are only positives

Where did you get the AB road rings?

I bought a 32T Oval ring a while ago and tried it but im too fat, so i swopped back to my 30T round. Gave it to my buddy and he loves it.

The one thing i did notice and i dont know if i liked it and its maybe just because i am not fit enough, when climbing with an oval you always have traction, i rode groenlandberg with it and its loose and rocky and the oval helped alot.

Switched over my Giant Trance about 4 months ago or so to a 32 rapide oval 11/36 that worked out great for around Southern Suburbs. Did the Fedhealth 65 1800m or so elevation and put a one up 40T on the back and found the gearing perfect for me. Did try out a 30T round chainring before the race and after riding oval preferred the feeling of the oval more so swapped back.

You do seem to spin a better circle with oval and that helps going up hill especially with technical sections you don't lose traction as easily and mash the pedals.

Apparently coming up to speed from a stand still with oval is faster never tested this in any way myself. 

I like the fact that through the pedal stroke it's easier at the hardest point to pedal almost at first feels like when you have power its slightly harder and when you do not it's easier around the pedal stroke. 

Order a 32T from Rapide NW Ultralight R449 so not too expensive, mine seems to be waring alright and if you have a 11/36 cassette that can be broken up (I know my original giant one could not be separated) stay with that for the start and once you have tried a few climbs get either a 40T or a 42T one up and a 16T Cog to put in and replace a 15T at the rear to smoothen out the jump in gears. I have not tried the 42T but I do like the jump from 36 to 40. Also the chainring has built in spacers and you can use original chainring bolts which makes it easy to put on just make sure you can get your BB and cranks off. I have a Shadow rear derailleur with the clutch and don't run any bash guard or chain guide, chain never come off. 

Evo had a special on a new chain and a 11/36 cassette think I got the 16T Cog from there too. If you need a new one. 

Good luck 

Switched over my Giant Trance about 4 months ago or so to a 32 rapide oval 11/36 that worked out great for around Southern Suburbs. Did the Fedhealth 65 1800m or so elevation and put a one up 40T on the back and found the gearing perfect for me. Did try out a 30T round chainring before the race and after riding oval preferred the feeling of the oval more so swapped back.

You do seem to spin a better circle with oval and that helps going up hill especially with technical sections you don't lose traction as easily and mash the pedals.

Apparently coming up to speed from a stand still with oval is faster never tested this in any way myself.

I like the fact that through the pedal stroke it's easier at the hardest point to pedal almost at first feels like when you have power its slightly harder and when you do not it's easier around the pedal stroke.

Order a 32T from Rapide NW Ultralight R449 so not too expensive, mine seems to be waring alright and if you have a 11/36 cassette that can be broken up (I know my original giant one could not be separated) stay with that for the start and once you have tried a few climbs get either a 40T or a 42T one up and a 16T Cog to put in and replace a 15T at the rear to smoothen out the jump in gears. I have not tried the 42T but I do like the jump from 36 to 40. Also the chainring has built in spacers and you can use original chainring bolts which makes it easy to put on just make sure you can get your BB and cranks off. I have a Shadow rear derailleur with the clutch and don't run any bash guard or chain guide, chain never come off.

Evo had a special on a new chain and a 11/36 cassette think I got the 16T Cog from there too. If you need a new one.

Good luck

My cassette couldn't come apart as well, used small grinder to grind one side of the pins holding it together and whalla, took it apart, added a 42 T, took 15 and 17 off, inserted 16T. Very easy and works 100 %.

A bad day cycling is better than a good day working.

BSG that's awesome thanks! I've been wanting to buy a new wheel set for my trance and wanted to put a 11-42 on both sets with disks too so I could just swap straight over without having to change everything. Have my old cassette at home will most definitely grind those off and split it up!

My cassette couldn't come apart as well, used small grinder to grind one side of the pins holding it together and whalla, took it apart, added a 42 T, took 15 and 17 off, inserted 16T. Very easy and works 100 %.

This worked for me too. Except I fitted the 40 tooth from Kalbo, it works fine.

I have an oval 34 t chainring from China, also works fine. Seems pretty similar to the round chainring, just feels a bit funny when you first put it on.

This worked for me too. Except I fitted the 40 tooth from Kalbo, it works fine.

I have an oval 34 t chainring from China, also works fine. Seems pretty similar to the round chainring, just feels a bit funny when you first put it on.

Mine is 32 oval and 42 hill kill also kalbo. Great service great product

did K2C on my 34t absolute black, no issues at all

I want to try to try to Absoluteblack.cc chainring. The Chinese ones don't have the offset of 10 to 15 %, and I think this is important. I have seen on the Wattbike at gym that this offset is how your torque curve aligns with the pedalling stroke.