Specialized Epic comp vs Giant Anthem X 29er

Nicol Rademeyer

Some of the stores like the one in the City Bowl are good, but most are not great. The one in Bedfordview is the best, they don't even have prices on products. The dude just sits behind the counter watching Youtube and barks prices at you from across the store.

You obviously love this 'brand' stuff. I find it all quite false and would like to actually chat to the guy who made the bike. Different strokes for different folks.

But back to the original point, I don't think there is a real risk going for a bike from a manufacturer with lower volumes and who doesn't mass produce bikes. Many of my mates have Yetis, Norcos, Pygas, Rocky Mountains, etc. All love them. Cracked Norcos and others are replaced based on a photograph. I don't see much of downside, but they are amazing bikes to ride

Well, now... I don't give a toss about this-vs-that brand arguments, as long as you are happy, but your comments about the Spez shop in Bedfordview is plain wrong. Every single bike, parts, tool or clothing in the store has prices on them...? I have been going there frequently (and to many other bike stores) and never found an item without a price on. Furthermore they are extremely helpful, when you request them to consider a discount. Just like many other good shops around town.

And they host plenty wine, beer and snack (technical...) evenings - what is there not to like about that?

On a completely different note - I don't get the 'brand' point? Every single bike (frame) manufacturer uses Fox, Sram, Shimano, Rock... parts. Most can agree that Spez makes good quality wheels, tires and nice saddles - again, what is wrong with that.

I guess we are all brand sluts, whether you prefer Pyga, Santa, Spez, Canon, etc...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, now... I don't give a toss about this-vs-that brand arguments, as long as you are happy, but your comments about the Spez shop in Bedfordview is plain wrong. Every single bike, parts, tool or clothing in the store has prices on them...? I have been going there frequently (and to many other bike stores) and never found an item without a price on. Furthermore they are extremely helpful, when you request them to consider a discount. Just like many other good shops around town.

And they host plenty wine, beer and snack (technical...) evenings - what is there not to like about that?

On a completely different note - I don't get the 'brand' point? Every single bike (frame) manufacturer uses Fox, Sram, Shimano, Rock... parts. Most can agree that Spez makes good quality wheels, tires and nice saddles - again, what is wrong with that.

I guess we are all brand sluts, whether you prefer Pyga, Santa, Spez, Canon, etc...

I reckon the specialized power saddle is used on as many non specialized manufactured bicycles as what there are specialized. The design and result of just a bike seat from the brand is remarkable. I don't see any bike brand committing as much to fit and options to accommodate different butt, feet and hand shapes to ensuring the best possible ride comfort and performance balance.

In General The price point for their accessories is insanely competitive, even their tires. A pity about clothing which is priced very premium due to the duties paid on textiles in SA.

At a brand power level, IMO, specialized are the apple equivalent of the bicycle industry even though at an industrial level they are significantly owned by Merida and have all their bikes made by that company's factories.

Good to hear they may have changed.

7 months ago I walked out of there in frustration while trying to buy a helmet. I ended up going to a retailer down the road. I went in again a few months later with my old man who was keen on the Roubaix . After nonsensical conversations with a sales person who did not really know much about the bike or prices (which he had to continually 'look up on the system'), we just left.

Does it bug anyone else how Specialized mix and match components? For example on the Camber Comp, they use SRAM drivetrain and then slap Shimano brakes on? I know they're trying to give you the best bang-for-your-buck, but I'm sure many would prefer that they follow through with the whole groupset and put some Guide or Level brakes on. Worst of all though, is the Rockshox Revelation paired with the Fox Float.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Does it bug anyone else how Specialized mix and match components? For example on the Camber Comp, they use SRAM drivetrain and then slap Shimano brakes on? I know they're trying to give you the best bang-for-your-buck, but I'm sure many would prefer that they follow through with the whole groupset and put some Guide or Level brakes on. Worst of all though, is the Rockshox Revelation paired with the Fox Float.

No. Why?

I have Sram gears because they are the best... and I have XTR brakes because they are the best! Simple. If Fox makes the best rear shock, but Rock the best front - then that makes sense to me???

Same philosophy with cars, my HIFI, etc... Shame I can't apply that logic to my wife(s).

No. Why?

I have Sram gears because they are the best... and I have XTR brakes because they are the best! Simple. If Fox makes the best rear shock, but Rock the best front - then that makes sense to me???

Same philosophy with cars, my HIFI, etc... Shame I can't apply that logic to my wife(s).

It must just be my OCD. If I bought that bike I would sell the brakes and shock and replace with Guides & a Monarch, before even going on my first ride.

Or alternatively, sell the drivetrain and fork and replace with SLX M7000 and a Fox 34. The only problem with option 2 is the XD freehub.

It must just be my OCD. If I bought that bike I would sell the brakes and shock and replace with Guides & a Monarch, before even going on my first ride.

Or alternatively, sell the drivetrain and fork and replace with SLX M7000 and a Fox 34. The only problem with option 2 is the XD freehub.

Bought a Trek Superfly some years ago, was standing on the floor with SRAM Drivetrain and Shimano Brakes. Have seen many other bikes since the; brand new being offered with products from either of the companies.

Bought a Trek Superfly some years ago, was standing on the floor with SRAM Drivetrain and Shimano Brakes. Have seen many other bikes since the; brand new being offered with products from either of the companies.

I see it all the time, and it 'grinds my gears' everytime.

if it works, then why stress about it?

i have a sram 1x11 drivetrain with shimano brakes...best of both worlds.

The Epic is the better racing bike but the Anthem is more versatile. The Anthem is very cheap to maintain and the Epic is very expensive to maintain - this for me makes the Anthem the better choice. If I had to buy a 29er 100mm dually I would not look at either of these.

Giants are great all round bikes and easy to upgrade,  giant will always be lighter vs an Alu Spez. if you want a stiffer bike you will have to look else where. if you looking to tackle the more trail orientated riding. between the 2 I would go Giant, I think it has a much better suspension as the same system used in a slightly longer travel Trance.

I had a  Giant  2010 model which is now with its 3rd owner, frame is solid, its done plenty racing with each owner.

I think the camber is great but weight wise easily over 1.5 kg heavier even the carbon versions are heavy and there is a big premium on price

other brands the Scott spark 2016 .. heavier but good spec with 2X11 .. although new pivot kit 1500 bucks

I have a Pivot Mach 429alu.. NOW THATS A PROPER BIKE!!!

Giants are great all round bikes and easy to upgrade,  giant will always be lighter vs an Alu Spez. if you want a stiffer bike you will have to look else where. if you looking to tackle the more trail orientated riding. between the 2 I would go Giant, I think it has a much better suspension as the same system used in a slightly longer travel Trance.

I had a  Giant  2010 model which is now with its 3rd owner, frame is solid, its done plenty racing with each owner.

I think the camber is great but weight wise easily over 1.5 kg heavier even the carbon versions are heavy and there is a big premium on price

other brands the Scott spark 2016 .. heavier but good spec with 2X11 .. although new pivot kit 1500 bucks

I have a Pivot Mach 429alu.. NOW THATS A PROPER BIKE!!!

Weight is only as good as the water bottle and tools you carry in your back pocket, not to mention that half us are not nearly as close to our ideal weight as it could be.

Point is that 1-2kgs of saving, vs the other considerations is low on the priority list, yet drives so many of us to spend silly money on equipment we can't justify.

I completely agree, that year on year for some time now, best value for money at a component level is Giant.

To draw an analogy though, the same could be said about japanese, german and italian car brands. My head will always say japanese, but my heart will always be in the german and italian cars. There is some truth in the many brands available in the bicycle space.

There is little to no emotion to the giant range, compared to specialized, compared to the real exotics like pinarello, canyon, yeti etc

Archived