Ironman 2017 - PE

IceCreamMan

Not to be mean but if this is a real concern you have either not trained well enough or are injured!

not mean at all, each to his own - some ppl wanna win, others just wanna take part,

1st timer so completion time is irrelevant to me - im just hoping to finish ,

btw im not targeting 17hrs , i said i dont care if it takes that long,

shout and smile when you pass me on the course :drool:

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question.. The Special Needs bags - are they a viable option? Or is it a disaster of a pile of bags lying in a heap which takes 15 minutes to sort through?

It would be nice to have a couple of ready-made bottles and (my preferred) bars waiting halfway, rather than chancing it with whatever I can salvage en-route.

Last time I did it the special needs worked very well. You put your hand up about a km or so before the station indicating you want to access your bag. When you get to the station a volunteer will be ready with it, you stop and take what you need etc. and be on your way.

Same with the run.

What is everyone's finishing time goal?

Was hoping for sub 12:00 based on my training, but that wasn't considering wind and that its my first so probably sub 13:00. 

If all goes to plan and we're lucky with the wind:

1:10 swim

6:00 bike

4:30 run

20 mins for T1 and T2. 

Edited by Simonpurdon

Was hoping for sub 12:00 based on my training, but that wasn't considering wind and that its my first so probably sub 13:00. 

If all goes to plan and we're lucky with the wind:

1:10 swim

6:00 bike

4:30 run

20 mins for T1 and T2. 

I reckon sub 12 is a boss time. If I do this event again next year - and I suspect I will.. I'll aim for this.

Good luck!

I reckon sub 12 is a boss time. If I do this event again next year - and I suspect I will.. I'll aim for this.

Good luck!

Thanks. Super nervous but excited as well. Would be lekker to somehow display your username so you can check the bikehub guys on the route!

1:20-1:30 for the swim depending on conditions

sub 6:00 for cycle but will be dependent on wind conditions (would like to aim for 5:30)

Sub 5:00 for the run

Sub 20mins for transitions

Ultimately it will be what it will be, will not be chasing times, just executing each discipline as best I can... the bonus will be if I can achieve those times.

Thanks. Super nervous but excited as well. Would be lekker to somehow display your username so you can check the bikehub guys on the route!

was wondering if one is allowed to koki the number , if so that might work but suspect its illegal.

will have to compile a little list of numbers and memorise them. only first names on the number.

Eish...this is sad news for PE!!

Police have confirmed that Belgian triathlete Frederick van Lierde, 37, was attacked on Victoria Drive in Port Elizabeth earlier this afternoon.

According to police spokeswoman Captain Priscilla Naidu, van Lierde was ambushed by a group of teenagers before he was robbed of his iPhone 7.

The triathlete was unconscious after he was allegedly hit with a stick.

He was taken to St Georges Hospital but has since been discharged.

Van Lierde won the 2015 Ironman competition. 

Earlier today another cyclist reported being attacked on the same road. His backpack was stolen during the attack.

Damn idiots. We have stupid ppl in za. World champs next year may be in jeopardy. Hope he heals up an ok to race.

Damn idiots. We have stupid ppl in za. World champs next year may be in jeopardy. Hope he heals up an ok to race.

Wonder if he will stay around to race.

Hope they don't block the route on race day in some protest.

Wonder if he will stay around to race.

Hope they don't block the route on race day in some protest.

Aghhh hell. Did not even think of that. Not as high profile as CT challenge though. Another thing to worry about.

I hope my swim will be around 1:10, +- 5:45 for the ride, run is a complete stab in the dark. First full IM and first ever marathon so 4:30 perhaps.

I'll be super happy going under 12 hours but I'm in for the experience. I've trained my butt off and I can't wait to see what I can do on the day. I always have lofty ambitions if I am slower then I have a goal for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can confirm that Frederik is recovering from an incident which happened during a training ride in Port Elizabeth, South Africa where he was attacked by a group. Thankfully Frederik escaped relatively unharmed and intends to participate in the race. We are overwhelmed by the support of Frederik’s fans and appreciate the help offered by the IRONMAN team.