Ironman 2017 - PE

IceCreamMan

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done all. It's an amazing event an amazing feeling finishing. Congratzzzzz

Also applied aN got the 9000 points from vitality. Amazing watching the little dial go round an round haha.

Well done to all!!!

This was my first year supporting (went down to support our ministry - Race of Faith - you guys would have heard us coming past Marine Hotel) and boy is it hard work! I have done three IMSA's but will definitely do some training for when supporting next time, or rather compete  :D

We were on the beach at 06.00 and I left when the last guy finished, just before 00.00.

Although everyone said it was an almost 'perfect' day I think the choppy sea, constantly shifting wind and hotter than normal weather made it tougher than it looked.

Well done again to all who finished, it remains a great achievement!

Well done all. It's an amazing event an amazing feeling finishing. Congratzzzzz

Also applied aN got the 9000 points from vitality. Amazing watching the little dial go round an round haha.

Still waiting for my Disco points allocation.

On reflection the real ironmen are those still suffering on the run, when it is dark, cold and windy, long after I had finished, showered and gone for something to eat.  We stood on the way back to the hotel, giving encouragement to the few that we saw.... as by then the majority of the crowds had pretty much dissipated.

Entries now open for PE,  11 March 2018  #justsaying  :whistling:

During the race I said never again.... but I'm sure I'll be back next year. The human body is very good at forgetting the pain.

During the race I said never again.... but I'm sure I'll be back next year. The human body is very good at forgetting the pain.

Race memory is very short term.

Me am taking this week off totally to enjoy the time to recover.... but my training partner is already itching and mentioning that he is keen to train again.... and he suffered more than me in PE with severe cramps on the run.... so ya the body is good at forgetting the pain!!

Still waiting for my Disco points allocation.

On reflection the real ironmen are those still suffering on the run, when it is dark, cold and windy, long after I had finished, showered and gone for something to eat.  We stood on the way back to the hotel, giving encouragement to the few that we saw.... as by then the majority of the crowds had pretty much dissipated.

Have to agree. I hung about the race village an ate and drank and sat in the stands at the red carpet to get the vibe, something I have wanted to do every year but never get around to it. So only got bike around 22:30 and walked to hotel. The run course was pretty empty at that point but encouraged the ous. My mate Jefta was coming in so applauded him. I think the cold winds chased the spectators away, crowds I thought were a little thinner than previous years. But encouraging as always.

11 March 2018 , good luck to those who are aiming for it. With a bit of experience the event will be much better for those returning a second time.

The awards evening was brilliant as always and the standing ovation for lochi brought a tear to my eye. The human spirit is amazing.

Well, not awkward at all. Roll on EL and PE! Woot. Now to try figure out how I am going to get my head around a 42km run... Your race reports have totally energized me. 

Well, not awkward at all. Roll on EL and PE! Woot. Now to try figure out how I am going to get my head around a 42km run... Your race reports have totally energized me. 

EmJay, this constituted my very first marathon. 

Wait. It was also my first 180km ride.

Aaaaaand my first 3.8km swim.

If you train properly, your body can handle the distance. Your mind just has to get out of the way!

Respect to all of you! What an inspiration and thanks for all the reports and feedback!

I always found race day the easiest part of IM... The training always seemed much more difficult.

That being said, I have always found the last 45km of the bike is the darkest place on the race. Alone, no one to talk to, hurting, sore bum, just head down trying not to lose focus.... that solitude is deafening.

Then its just BOOM into transition, someone throwing sun screen on me and people people shouting supporting for a quick 42 km, the red carpet......... then shivers for 35 minutes followed by free food! mmmmmmmm 

I always found race day the easiest part of IM... The training always seemed much more difficult.

That being said, I have always found the last 45km of the bike is the darkest place on the race. Alone, no one to talk to, hurting, sore bum, just head down trying not to lose focus.... that solitude is deafening.

Then its just BOOM into transition, someone throwing sun screen on me and people people shouting supporting for a quick 42 km, the red carpet......... then shivers for 35 minutes followed by free food! mmmmmmmm 

That last 25kms of the cycle I was singing and humming to myself to keep focus and concentrating on the cyclist up the road of me.... gauging distance and setting myself goals of trying to catch them in the next whatever minutes.

The last 45 km stretch was 2 halves for me...5 kays out of seaview I had the mother of all cramp attacks where I stodd on the side of the road for a minute and could not move... legs seized solid... I thought my race was run... luckily they loosened up a bit and I spent the next 20 km's nursing my legs an stretching out. from the bottom of the hill where we turned left I floated along and my average actually increased again due to the favourable wind... happy days but mindful of the cramps that were lurking all the time...

The run, no cramps at all..happy days...but I am a *** runner ...  for me, the knowledge that I could finish kind of took the edge off if that makes sense. once the bike is parked and with experience from previous years I knew it was just winding down the km's to the end. gets kinda boring. Getting that last hair elastic was a joyous occasion and stopping at the last stop for a lekker pee behind the bus stop and some coke was a special moment.

Apart from the cramping on the bike, I had a pretty perfect day to be honest. Only mistake I think I made was taking far too much food on the bike, not sure why I packed large...

Archived