Ironman 2017 - PE

IceCreamMan

I'm going to take another week off and then slowly start building toward next year's IMSA.

I'm going to take another 5 months off and then slowly start building to next years IM. :D

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am running 2oceans on Saturday (56km)

See you there!

We will be plodding along with the 6 hour bus to the bottom of chappies and make a call from there. 

Slow and steady and full of laughs is the 2017 mantra

So my main focus was to run a sub 4 hour marathon in PE.  I knew if I could achieve that then I would have a great day regardless of times......  My secondary focus was to do a 12 hour race (PB) although I am careful to link times to full IM races as it is a very dangerous thing to do.  If the weather sucks or something small goes wrong and your target slips away it tends to negatively influence the athlete which deflates you for the rest of the race...........

So the weather was perfect.  I swam 11 minutes faster than planned.  I swam 3.88km which is unheard of for me.  If you can swim fast then at least swim straight!!  Came out in 01h14 and felt great.

On the bike I quickly realized the conditions was favorable and decided to push a little bit harder than initially planned.  My reasoning was due to a slight tail wind going out and cooler conditions.  I knew once it warmed up it would be harder to push hard.  After 90km I felt crap and only drink water for the ensuing hour - which paid dividends as I really felt the afterburners firing at 130km.  Finished the bike with a welcome tail wind in 05h53.  

I ran really well and according to plan and finished the first 22km in just under 2 hours.  I thought OK n ow only 6min per km and I would do the sub 4.  Boom, I started feeling crappy and made the mistake of drinking redbull.  Instant meltdown.

I limped home in a marathon time of 04h16 and a total time of 11h36.

Super happy.  What an incredible day! 

Well done to all who took part!

Super time Garfield2010, well done!  :clap:

Note to self: avoid caffeinated energy drinks. 

If it's not in your nutrition plan for the day do not take stuff that you have not raced on.... or tried and know your stomach can handle it.

Each time I passed the redbull stand I gave it a wide berth and avoided the outstretched arms with cups.  Similarly with spectators on the side of the road offering whatever... and especially to those offering beer!!  :P

Edit:  Well done Garfield, good time!!

Great time. Awesome.

I had the Red Bull kool aid but by then I was OD ing on Coke anyway. Became a vicious circle eventually. I refrain from Coke til the last lap normally but this year took the devils juice early which results in one just drinking more aN more of it an it sloshes around yr gut.

Great event. Those planning on 2018 best wishes. Me only 70.3s from now.

Great time. Awesome.

I had the Red Bull kool aid but by then I was OD ing on Coke anyway. Became a vicious circle eventually. I refrain from Coke til the last lap normally but this year took the devils juice early which results in one just drinking more aN more of it an it sloshes around yr gut.

Great event. Those planning on 2018 best wishes. Me only 70.3s from now.

Tell yourself that now. But wait for the FOMO to kick in!

Tell yourself that now. But wait for the FOMO to kick in!

I wouldn't put too much pressure on ICM as he has probably told his wife and family never again. We can't help him break his word. 

My race day started with a bit of frustration as by the time I got to the beach I could only get to the front of the 1 hr - 1:30 group. I found again that people were wildly optimistic or just simply didn't listen to the instructions. On the negative side I might have missed out on a bit of drafting. On the positive side I had quite an ego boost as I was continuously passing people. I ended up with 1:00:35. I have not yet swam under 30 in a half distance so I was very pleased.

My strategy for the day was to be hasty but not run in transition that meant socks on for the ride for a bit more comfort. I ended up with 2 x 6 minute transitions. I also stopped for a Sun cream top up which afterwards I was very glad for.

The ride was really good for the first 3/4. I went slightly over my target power for the first lap mostly due to the yo yo ing with the same few riders. I've noticed when using my power pedals people tend to overtake me on the climbs but the same folk back off the power on the flats and even more on the downhills. As a result I'm often putting more effort into overtaking moves simply because I want to make them stick only to sometimes lose it all when going up an incline. I paid a bit of a price in the last quarter and dropped my average power a bit. I had problem with sore toes in the build up to the race and I was expecting the discomfort in the last part. Thanks to the hub search function I have read that moving cleats back on my shoes will help but there's no way I was going to change anything in the build up to the race. I finished the ride in 5:27. I was hoping for 5:45 so I was very happy once again.

I followed the High 5 nutrition plan pretty much to the letter. I trained with it in the build up and on the ride I supplemented the energy source drinks with banana bars and later caffeine gels. On the run I used the gels with caffeine for as long as I could.

Next to crossing the line my most pleasant experience of the day was putting my running shoes on and saying goodbye to the sore toes. I started to run at a comfortable pace and was glad to see my pace around 5:15 min / km. This lasted for the first two laps then fatigue set in and I slowed up a bit. I started to feel really nauseous after about 34 km and began walking more than my planned walk at every water point. I wasn't feeling like any more gels and drank only water for while before I decided to try a coke. Around this time I found it more comfortable to run at a slow pace than walk. With the finish line getting closer and the realisation that a good time was still a possibility I went all out, and for the last 4-5 km I managed a solid run.

I finished in 10:56 and I couldn't have been happier. The whole experience has been great and I can't get 2018 out of my head right now.

@ndy has cycling with power made a big difference to your bike leg? 

I've been thinking about it for a while now, but its quite an expensive addition.

It also seems your training would need to change a bit to become more scientific or maybe you have to then use a coach or training program to fully exploit the benefits.

1:03 swim

5:27 bike

3:49 run

10:30 total including transitions and a slot to world 70.3 here next year which makes the day all more special.

1:03 swim

5:27 bike

3:49 run

10:30 total including transitions and a slot to world 70.3 here next year which makes the day all more special.

Congrats on time and slot at worlds!!

Archived