Ironman 2017 - PE

IceCreamMan

This time in 3 weeks (!) there will be many creaking battered bodies crushing a breakfast buffet

hehe. to the victor the spoils hey.... Gonna spend the day in Barneys eating and drinking and watching the ocean then off to the awards evening.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have any experience with PE water temps and a wetsuit? More than likely going to rent one, even just for the buoyancy, just would like to know how much of a deep breath I'm going to need when running (walking) into the water!

I would be more worried about making sure it fits right and at least get a swim in before you use it to know where to apply Bodyglide and get used to the feel 

I would be more worried about making sure it fits right and at least get a swim in before you use it to know where to apply Bodyglide and get used to the feel 

Was out yesterday and met a swim coach.  She was telling me how she had a client who actually cut off his wetsuit because he couldn't get it off in T1 (it was new) because the zipper was different to what he was used to. I cannot confirm the validity of that story, but it's a valuable lesson imo. Practice your transitions and train in the gear you going to use. 

I have had a few decent weeks of training.  Very challenging during the week due to work and other issues but some good solid weekends.  In the last month I have run a 42km, a 27km and a 32km on different occasions.  

The cycling have been a problem as I have a quadriceps tendinitis injury above my left knee.  This is mainly due to overuse and partially due to a knee operation a long time ago.  It only gets sore with cycling - running seems to be fine.  I have only biked 4 hours twice in the last month and I think I will struggle from 140km onward in PE

Going for a MRI scan now and tomorrow we start "shock therapy". on the knee.  I will have to maintain and treat until July when the doc can operate.

Dispite all of this I am looking forward to a nice race this year.  Definitely have done the mileage I know only have to round everything off in what will probably be the most important 10 days coming up. 

I have had a few decent weeks of training.  Very challenging during the week due to work and other issues but some good solid weekends.  In the last month I have run a 42km, a 27km and a 32km on different occasions.  

The cycling have been a problem as I have a quadriceps tendinitis injury above my left knee.  This is mainly due to overuse and partially due to a knee operation a long time ago.  It only gets sore with cycling - running seems to be fine.  I have only biked 4 hours twice in the last month and I think I will struggle from 140km onward in PE

Going for a MRI scan now and tomorrow we start "shock therapy". on the knee.  I will have to maintain and treat until July when the doc can operate.

Dispite all of this I am looking forward to a nice race this year.  Definitely have done the mileage I know only have to round everything off in what will probably be the most important 10 days coming up. 

Shockwave Therapy is the Business-you will not believe how quickly it sorts you out, I had tendonapothy or some such thing and had shockwave therapy and it is expensive and the medical aid doesnt cover all of it-but worth it-had 3 sessions and felt right after just two.  

Shockwave Therapy is the Business-you will not believe how quickly it sorts you out, I had tendonapothy or some such thing and had shockwave therapy and it is expensive and the medical aid doesnt cover all of it-but worth it-had 3 sessions and felt right after just two.  

Oh yes and it hurts in the weirdest way when it is applied-so not the most fun.

This is great news.  I have had this underlying pain for 18 months now and it has now reached a point of becoming unbearable.  I am an ironman taking the lift at work cuz stairs hurt me!

I saw a whole bunch of experts on Friday so at least I am in the best hands possible.

This is great news.  I have had this underlying pain for 18 months now and it has now reached a point of becoming unbearable.  I am an ironman taking the lift at work cuz stairs hurt me!

I saw a whole bunch of experts on Friday so at least I am in the best hands possible.

Who is the doctor? Is it the guys at Rosebank?

Bloemfontein  :eek:

Shockwave treatment is pretty much dependant on the machine and locating the area -once you have that it is about the frequency and how long you can stand it so it's more about the equipment and the identifying the area. Let us know how long you can hold out and the intensity-it goes to 6. At Rosebank it is the Team Doctor of the Lions that does it and the rugby players come in and do it themselves -so it cant be very hard. I was there when Ross Cronje came in -man those guys are big!       

hehe. to the victor the spoils hey.... Gonna spend the day in Barneys eating and drinking and watching the ocean then off to the awards evening.

Lucky bugger. Gonna be spending 8 hours in the car driving back to Cape Town... will be stopping at every Wimpy/Steers I see. :D

Lucky bugger. Gonna be spending 8 hours in the car driving back to Cape Town... will be stopping at every Wimpy/Steers I see. :D

If you can , delay your trip home and don't miss the awards evening, its a very sweet evening.

If you can , delay your trip home and don't miss the awards evening, its a very sweet evening.

Ai boet, wish I could. Very bizzy time at work, so sadly can't stay on a bit.

Archived