Ironman 2017 - PE

IceCreamMan

Read on the Ironman site they are allocating additional world championship spots ( for south Africans only ) for 2018 IM70.3 which will be held at slummies.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read on the Ironman site they are allocating additional world championship spots ( for south Africans only ) for 2018 IM70.3 which will be held at slummies.

PE not East London.

This is pretty standard practice. For Mooloolaba this year additional slots were allocated for Aussies.

Never had an issue at Heia, with the recent rains I would think the water would be clean too. I believe it is billed as the cleanest water in Gauteng currently.

Okay so I have just been diagnosed with Bilharzia. As far as I know I could only have picked it up at Heia Safari or Germiston lake. 

Lets hope the Biltricide does its job and blasts this parasite out of my body before EL 70.3. in two weeks time. 

Okay so I have just been diagnosed with bilharzia and as far as I know I could only have picked it up at Heia Safari or Germiston lake.

oh hell, sorry to hear that. Scheduled to swim at Heia this Saturday.

Heal up quick, best wishes.

Okay so I have just been diagnosed with Bilharzia. As far as I know I could only have picked it up at Heia Safari or Germiston lake. 

Lets hope the Biltricide does its job and blasts this parasite out of my body before EL 70.3. in two weeks time. 

From what I understand you can pick it up stepping just stepping in a puddle sadly, but you will feel great once treated trust me, I had it last year, I wasn't bad but didn't feel great, after treatment felt like a new person, wish I had seen the doc sooner, just taper a bit more for EL 70.3 to recover a bit and you should be hundreds...

From what I understand you can pick it up stepping just stepping in a puddle sadly, but you will feel great once treated trust me, I had it last year, I wasn't bad but didn't feel great, after treatment felt like a new person, wish I had seen the doc sooner, just taper a bit more for EL 70.3 to recover a bit and you should be hundreds...

Thanks! Exactly what I needed to hear.

The problem with this is still if you are in the 35 - 45 age CAT you will probably still need to break 10 hours to get a slot...............   something which is beyond most of us.

The problem with this is still if you are in the 35 - 45 age CAT you will probably still need to break 10 hours to get a slot...............   something which is beyond most of us.

Hope you break 10 hours for a 70.3.... :whistling:

A friend of mine also caught Bilharzia a few weeks back. Germiston Lake being the main suspect...

Anyhoo, unfortunately I am out of IMSA for this year.

Hope you gents have an awesome, windless, race.

A friend of mine also caught Bilharzia a few weeks back. Germiston Lake being the main suspect...

Anyhoo, unfortunately I am out of IMSA for this year.

Hope you gents have an awesome, windless, race.

Not great news considering that the Gauteng Champs were held at Germiston Lake this past weekend...

Ironman is incredibly competitive, I am still surprised by the competitive nature. The times achieved are also mind blowing in the Age Groups.... incredible.

Me, I normally come around 80th in the toppies section, my chances of Kona would rely on numerous ppl not taking the slot :)

A question for those with IM experience. Do you opt for carrying more that one bottle and put them behind the saddle. Or are the water points enough for you to collect bottles as you go and just keep the one on the bike.

I did the one bottle option at Durban and was just fine but other events do not have the same regularity with there water points and I use rear bottle cages. If  the bike course isn't so hilly then carrying extra bottles may help reduce the problems related to collecting water on the go and not penalise much for weight. Any thoughts?

If anyone has a suggestion on accommodation for the PE Ironman for me and my family, please let me know. I am really not looking to break the bank anymore than this sport has already  :blink: so something close by to the venue and reasonable for a family break.

We are looking at dates 26 March - 4 April.

I will of course check Trip Advisor and AirBNB etc.

Thanks Hubbers!

A question for those with IM experience. Do you opt for carrying more that one bottle and put them behind the saddle. Or are the water points enough for you to collect bottles as you go and just keep the one on the bike.

I did the one bottle option at Durban and was just fine but other events do not have the same regularity with there water points and I use rear bottle cages. If  the bike course isn't so hilly then carrying extra bottles may help reduce the problems related to collecting water on the go and not penalise much for weight. Any thoughts?

The course is relatively flat so the weight penalty is relatively small. There are also a number of water points along the course...(this will have to be confirmed for 2017) . Carrying a 750 ml bottle a the start should be sufficient. Of course should you have a puncture or other mechanical you may be a bit short of liquids until you get to a point.

If the water points are the same as 2017 I will start the event with a single bottle. Even though the gain is relatively small I have found over the years that I tend to have to much crap on the bike anyway. I normall end the bike leg with hot cross buns, energy bars etc still in my pockets and/or top tube bag. Not this year. Minimal this year...1 tube, 1 bomb, 1 tyre lever, 1 bottle liquid, and the bare minimum food...the water points also stock bananas , gels etc.

but the one bottle policy will be dependent on the water points.

If anyone has a suggestion on accommodation for the PE Ironman for me and my family, please let me know. I am really not looking to break the bank anymore than this sport has already  :blink: so something close by to the venue and reasonable for a family break.

We are looking at dates 26 March - 4 April.

I will of course check Trip Advisor and AirBNB etc.

Thanks Hubbers!

The PE beach front is littered with hotels...Town lodge, city lodge, town loddge Courtyard, Boardwalk , Raddison, etc etc are all within very easy walking distance of the start. In summerstrand there are loads of guest houses and the like. Somewhere along the front is ideal as your family can estimate when you will be around and not have to stand there the whole day. Typically my wife is in the crowd when I come past ( esp the cycle) then goes boozing at news café or something til my next round or goes to a movie or goes an reads a book in the hotel. Getting to the boardwalk area can be a shlep if you not within walking distance during te day. Ironman commandeer all the roads and spectators start marking off their vantagepoints 2 days before and camp out from early morning restricting access to cars.

You don't mention the size of your family, townlodge has interconnected rooms, you can book 2 next to each other and that should be relatively cheap or book 2 rooms in the road lodge for around 600 per room per night. Can et expensive I spose.

I normally stay in the road lodge, its the closest hotel to the start so I can sleep late etc etc. but it is small. once I did take my wife an lil lad an it was a lil cramped. Nowadays my lad does not accompany us so for wife an I its perfect.

Whereever you decide, make sure its within easy walking distance for the family to the spectator area.

I got Ecoli from CGT Champs in Germiston-never going there again ever!

Archived