Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

I'd feel claustrophobic and get way too hot with a camelback. Those pockets are made to be stuffed to the brim...and my partners for holding on to

Make your partner wear a camelback... those straps are easier to hold on to than a pocket...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's doable on bottles, and you don't have to stuff your pockets. The water points are well stocked - take your time, enjoy the food.

But, if you're happy with a Camelbak, stick to it. Do what you know.

And like everything - ride waterpoint to waterpoint.

If the waterpoints have good food...that is great cause I generally stock my pockets with energy bars and energy jellies...I hate a camelback...makes it way too hot...especially if we will get temperatures close to 40 ...

If the waterpoints have good food...that is great cause I generally stock my pockets with energy bars and energy jellies...I hate a camelback...makes it way too hot...especially if we will get temperatures close to 40 ...

The past EPics have seen well stocked waterpoints for sure. They run a solid range of sweet and savoury things (as well as cut fruit - cold oranges a bonus when its hot). My first two Epics were done riding with a Camelbak - but the long days and heat caused a heat rash on my back that I've never picked up on other race. Took weeks for it to go afterwards - and it was irritated in the shower. This year (4th Epic) I'm going bottles only. The points are close enough to stock up on liquid. Obviously if the paw-paw hits the fan and you have a bad mechanical - well, then you're buggered anyway! Enjoy the run.

Gents,

also my first EPIC. Feeling calm but slooowly getting excited :w00t: :clap:

Have ridden tons of events though (Joberg2C, Tankwa, Sani, Trailseekers etc etc.)

I think two main point for training now are:

1. do a lot of hill repeats now (for max 2hour rides), ride "round" (push and pull) and do plenty rest between repeats (5-10min). Esp if you're from Gauteng - find a hill!). Ride in race conditions not only 4am!

2. Do recovery rides!! Recovery (not a beer) is as important as training!!!!!! Recovery: low intensity rides (+-20-30km).

For event:

1. Be calm and believe all will be good (even in pain)

2. Eat and drink regularly! (every +- 20min). water point to water point. take 2min at water point min - you will be repaid later. Ride for tomorrow (eat and drink plenty without stuffing yourself). Try stay with healthy and natural stuff - sticky stuff only in emergencies.

3. Recovery mode at finish: eat and drink before anything else. Smile and enjoy.

Spare Stuff on rides - take what makes you feel "safe". But nothing you won't need on the ride but check and change before each new day i.e. brake pads and stuff

And: bottles only - you will enough time to take a sip or two (while climbing).

Weather update: last projection is for an average heat week (22-26C). Check again one week before to make sure of mental approach and you have required kit (always take all!)

My 1c. I think above applies for racing snake and back marker (altho snakes wont stop at w points :ph34r: ).

Last thing: please do a skills course if you are unsure on descents! Quick fix: keep your ass well over and/or behind saddle (unless you have a dropper).

See you there

Good luck :thumbup:

Make your partner wear a camelback... those straps are easier to hold on to than a pocket...

His partner is 70 years of tender age..... surely there's a law against taking advantage of pensioners?

Sorry DP

His partner is 70 years of tender age..... surely there's a law against taking advantage of pensioners?

His pensioner is going to hurt him.... :) Wait... I thought he was a girl....

Morning Everyone,

Can I please get your opinion on the Best tyre combo for epic :

Schwalbe NN RR combo

Vittoria B+S combo

Conti tyre Combo

Mitas K+S combo

Thnx,

Ace

I am by far no expert on this event and I was in survival mode most of the time but the best advice I was given was:-

'Start every day'

i.e. if you finished the previous day doesn't matter how bad you feel when you get up just start. 9/10 times you soon start feeling a bit better and it isn't too bad ... if not then abandon.

Morning Everyone,

Schwalbe NN RR combo

Vittoria B+S combo

Conti tyre Combo

Mitas K+S combo

Thnx,

Ace

I will be riding Rocket Ron front and rear - Evo Trailstar Snakeskin.

Probably not the best alternative if you are over 75kg - but has worked for me before and I am going with it again - might swap front to a NN - but...

Morning Everyone,

Schwalbe NN RR combo

Vittoria B+S combo

Conti tyre Combo

Mitas K+S combo

Thnx,

Ace

I survived my epics on Conti X-Kings. Not one puncture or side wall tear. Maybe lucky, but I think it's also up to the rider. Make sure you pick your lines carefully when you going through rougher terrain.

Quick Question: Received Rider Communication #8 yesterday. It mentions one can get digital version of the Ride Guide. On the webpage I just get some text but no guide or download link. Just want to check it is not perhaps our company blocking everything from an innocent smile to a running nose! Can everyone else access it form the web page? 

Quick Question: Received Rider Communication #8 yesterday. It mentions one can get digital version of the Ride Guide. On the webpage I just get some text but no guide or download link. Just want to check it is not perhaps our company blocking everything from an innocent smile to a running nose! Can everyone else access it form the web page? 

I get a digital book thingy:

post-39133-0-96003200-1487936015_thumb.jpg

Archived