Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

Trying to get organised, a few questions for those that have done this before:

Charging Garmin/Phone - Is there any power pints in the camp?  Or is the only option to buy Amped?

Avis car hire - What size car is required for a bike box? i.e Group D (Hyundai Accent Hatch) ok?

Thanks.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to get organised, a few questions for those that have done this before:

Charging Garmin/Phone - Is there any power pints in the camp?  Or is the only option to buy Amped?

AMped is the only safe way - but a 10 000 mah similar unit will probably keep your garmin fine for the whole race - just don't expect your phone, tablet, ipod and kindle to be charged.... :)

So how much is average km's per month for an Epic. Did 1100km in Dec (with ample holiday drinking  :clap: ) and 1400km in Jan. Mostly road during the week and offroad weekends. Should I panic? Problem always remains proper climbing..no REAL hills in around Pta. So what have fellow hubbers doing the Epic put in so far? Sheesh ..just don't start with 2000km+ months. I am not Amanda Coker (380km daily for the last 230 days..check Strava). 

Edited by pedal menace

So how much is average km's per month for an Epic. Did 1100km in Dec (with ample holiday drinking  :clap: ) and 1400km in Jan. Mostly road during the week and offroad weekends. Should I panic? Problem always remains proper climbing..no REAL hills in around Pta. So what have fellow hubbers doing the Epic put in so far? Sheesh ..just don't start with 2000km+ months. I am not Amanda Coker (380km daily for the last 230 days..check Strava). 

Start with some mtb skills - your distances are fine - unless you plan to win a category you should finish easily.

But if you fall off...... :)

Planning transport to the Prologue an onto Stage 1.

When are the Prologue start times usually released?  Thanks.

Quality over quantity.

You can ride Epic on 8 hours a week and do well.

You don't need hills to practice hill climbing - just get in the right zone. A flat piece of tar, a WattBike, into the wind, whatever.

Quality over quantity.

You can ride Epic on 8 hours a week and do well.

You don't need hills to practice hill climbing - just get in the right zone. A flat piece of tar, a WattBike, into the wind, whatever.

Hi Velouria,

Have you done the epic before?

Hi Velouria,

Have you done the epic before?

Yup. Doing it again this year for the first time in ages, with a partner who is an Epic virgin.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yup. Doing it again this year for the first time in ages, with a partner who is an Epic virgin.

8 hours is cutting it tight ma man!

So what do you guyz think about the route, I think its going to be a tough one...

Epic is always tough. I've yet to ride an easy route. You're always riding on your limit. Route looks cool. A little bit of everything for everyone.

Comments have been made that if we get rain this year it will be toughest muddiest harshest Epic ever (a real Epic)! ....everyone stop doing any and all rain dances now!! (I know the Cape really really needs rain....after the Epic, I will dance with you!). I also think 8 hours/week sounds a bit thin, but then again...I am an Epic virgin! Done plenty Sani's, Transbaviaans's. Sabie's etc. 

Comments have been made that if we get rain this year it will be toughest muddiest harshest Epic ever (a real Epic)! ....everyone stop doing any and all rain dances now!! (I know the Cape really really needs rain....after the Epic, I will dance with you!). I also think 8 hours/week sounds a bit thin, but then again...I am an Epic virgin! Done plenty Sani's, Transbaviaans's. Sabie's etc.

Those sandy sections will actually be ridable if there is some rain, so its like Sophie's choice really.

I am crapping myself..point! Have no idea what to expect in the Epic. What is enough training? What is considered good hill training (or is quality "flattish" training sufficient)? Is a 100km with 1000m ascent considered enough climbing? I have a view to just finish..no racing, no attacking...enjoy and embrace every second of the Epic.  It will most likely be my one and only opportunity to do it.