94.7 MTB 55 km Route

Guest CraigTaylorZA

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hehehehehehee

thanks autocorrect, but ye also me not having read it before I hit post.

G

Had a good laugh, autocorrect tells the best jokes.

My first 55km 94.7 MTB on this route. Despite being in two minds about riding for the week leading up to Sunday (all the rain and my non-existent MTB skills made me nervous), I really enjoyed the route and didn't find it too technical at all. As was stated earlier on this forum, starting in amongst the hordes of people back in A5 meant that I was pretty much climbing off my bike at the bottlenecks at the 2 or 3 points that might have worried me. Everything else I managed to ride without a problem. I also paid attention to the advice on the forum and left something in the tank for Pain City. Passed a good 50 people on those climbs. Didn't hear much moaning, but heard a lot of heavy breathing. Was a bit disappointed that I missed my target time by 55 seconds, but I had to climb off my bike for about 2 minutes about 1km from the finish due to cramps, so it probably balances out.

All in all a great day and excellent organisation from all involved.

Much better than the last time, basically no bottlenecks, managed to finish in 2:45. A bit of friendly competition is always a good motivator.

Edited by Earth Bicycle Trading

Had a much better race than last year really enjoyed it. PS: How was that concrete road climb as you came back into Steyn City.

Hmm... Wonder how riders from A7 manage to get into the top 20...

Surely there isn't enough clear track ahead of you to run at a similar average speed to the okes in the top 20 spots...

Surely there isn't enough clear track ahead of you to run at a similar average speed to the okes in the top 20 spots...

mmm and said riders 30km time from last year was only 20 odd mins quicker than this years 55km. 

I want whatever training program he went on!!  :nuke:

A7 would've had some bottlenecks somewhere on the route as we all know the seeding system is not that accurate and that some ineperienced riders do start in early batches and most of them is the cause of bottlenecks.

Possibly just jump the line at the first water point, where the guys crossed under the bridge or just outside the gate at the first water point. I stopped just after the first water point not feeling well and decided that I'm not going to risk it just to finish. When turning back I could've easily just move to the other side of the tape taking the normal route back again thus achieving a very good time.

A7 would've had some bottlenecks somewhere on the route as we all know the seeding system is not that accurate and that some ineperienced riders do start in early batches and most of them is the cause of bottlenecks.

Possibly just jump the line at the first water point, where the guys crossed under the bridge or just outside the gate at the first water point. I stopped just after the first water point not feeling well and decided that I'm not going to risk it just to finish. When turning back I could've easily just move to the other side of the tape taking the normal route back again thus achieving a very good time.

You didnt actually consider it?

Well done to the organisers, I started in A5 and the race was going well until I broke the chain on the metal bridge. Lo and behold I did not have the link  :thumbdown: . Removed an extra piece of the chain fixed it and soldiered on to the finish  :clap: .

fixed it and soldiered. 

you riding around with a blow torch on your comeback ?

G

Well done to the organisers, I started in A5 and the race was going well until I broke the chain on the metal bridge. Lo and behold I did not have the link  :thumbdown: . Removed an extra piece of the chain fixed it and soldiered on to the finish  :clap: .

You didnt actually consider it?

Not at all, didn't feel like riding at all when I turned back. Nothing to gain...will only fool myself by earning 55km results with only riding about 30 - 35km's.

ye ye spell police, actually did type it correct... some how autocorrect decided to change  it.

G

soldiered not soldered  :whistling:

Maybe they posted their rides on Strava, then you can check how far they actually cycled.