Urgent notice - "Trail Z" Tygerberg

milky4130

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any benefit, financial or otherwise for the land owners or do they allow the access entirely out of the goodness of their hearts? Just been wondering.

For many of them it's another income line, especially if they have ancillary businesses like accommodation and eateries. Then there's also the safety and security aspect in many cases, more eyes on the ground kind of thing. Sometimes you might see something like a stranded animal, fire, broken fence etc on a section of land that a landowner or farmer would need to know about. 

Or simply there are a lot of landowners who are passionate riders themselves. Van Gaalen, Boschendal, Bartiney etc ... 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ag he is just "suurtiet" (as some "famous" Ex Hubber would have said) that they do not have the pristine areas we have to ride in.

Areas that we fervently guard, as we know it is a hard earned privilege to ride there, not a right.

Off topic

Wonder if he thought "die ref het gekroek" after the Blou Fulletjies lost the Currie Cup final?

Back on topic

Maybe also the trails up north are operated by the landowners themselves, rather than by a club that petitioned access to the farms under certain conditions and restrictions of usage. Therefore teh landowners would be more amenable to an infraction, whereas here they go straight to TBMTB Club and say that there are people threatening the agreement by not adhering to the conditions agreed upon

Off topic

Wonder if he thought "die ref het gekroek" after the Blou Fulletjies lost the Currie Cup final?

Back on topic

Die Oom has contacts. I will watch my 6 if I was you.

Maybe also the trails up north are operated by the landowners themselves, rather than by a club that petitioned access to the farms under certain conditions and restrictions of usage. Therefore teh landowners would be more amenable to an infraction, whereas here they go straight to TBMTB Club and say that there are people threatening the agreement by not adhering to the conditions agreed upon

Nope. We have companies and enthusiasts building. Think Hakahana, VG, Modders, NF, BCC, Thaba, the Hero dudes the list goes on. The vast majority of those trails mentioned are on private land. VG trails cover something like 40 farms and Hakahana like 10 (correct me if I'm wrong)

Not sure if this is still relevant, but Farm crimes in these areas especially Malmesbury side is extremely high, if I am not mistaken

Nope. We have companies and enthusiasts building. Think Hakahana, VG, Modders, NF, BCC, Thaba, the Hero dudes the list goes on. The vast majority of those trails mentioned are on private land. VG trails cover something like 40 farms and Hakahana like 10 (correct me if I'm wrong)

Cool. Though the Fun Gullens was on a single farm or at least 2 large ones. 

van Gaalen has lost access on part of the river trail because one of the new land owners there accused riders of (rogue) riding through their property, then another part is becoming a game reserve and that will be fenced off. 
In total on either side vG the trails are supposed to cross upto 100 odd farms, taking magalies areas towards chicken pie into account. The land holdings are a lot smaller generally compared to WC though. 
In theory between Fourways area and vG there are approximately 300km of trail, and I don't mean dirt road. 

van Gaalen has lost access on part of the river trail because one of the new land owners there accused riders of (rogue) riding through their property, then another part is becoming a game reserve and that will be fenced off.

In total on either side vG the trails are supposed to cross upto 100 odd farms, taking magalies areas towards chicken pie into account. The land holdings are a lot smaller generally compared to WC though.

In theory between Fourways area and vG there are approximately 300km of trail, and I don't mean dirt road.

That's a terrible loSS. The river trail is/was super.

That's a terrible loSS. The river trail is/was super.

Aren't you being a bit sensitive now ... it's only a trail!  :clap:  :clap:

If there is one thing that is clear from the north south argument going on here, it's that we should all count ourselves lucky to have access to 100's of kms of trails in the respective provinces. That in itself is super cool but comes with the responsibility of respecting the privelge and acknowledging you are on someone else's property. It's a simple concept but obviously not that simple for all to understand. Hopefully the rogue element won't ruin it for everyone

Probably because the overwhelming majority of trails are on private land or land with entry restrictions imposed on them, and we are particularly sensitive to the potential loss thereof due to the inconsiderate actions of a few. Very different to up north where there are more open spaces and public dirt roads and trails

Maybe, but actually, its probably just because there are so many more superb trail riding areas in the Cape compared to that smokey city up north. More trails, more riders, and probably more rogues too  :-) There are rogue riding issues in public land down here as well btw, the green belts for instance...

If I recall Kliprig was lost cos of a rider getting lost on a race,  and when confronted by the owner was told who the F...K are you and F..K off by the rider. if you are in the wrong be polite.

Archived