Climbing: Sitting or Standing

Big%20smile

Won't say it's silly but I read the pro's comments/books on sitting/cadence etc but this is me as I see it...my way of riding...I agree sitting is more efficient but personally I cannnot train all my life sitting on climbs I need to use my leg muscles & I exert a bit more force at times...I train high cadence / aerobically anyway most of the time.

will this help you climbing a hill in the seated position? I think it does, maybe some will differ....

"DTThumbs%20Up"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing - when climbing a hill in a race you are ALWAYS working very hard. so slowly spinning seated like you were doing earlier in the ride hiding in the bunch isn't going to work.

Climbing seated at a slow cadence is crazy... get easier gears if necessary. Once you drop below about 70 rpm (cadence) you are just wasting your time while seated. unless

I think to climb well/ or train to climb well you must be able to do 1. high revs and/or high power for a perid of 5 to 15 minutes. Sitting or standing isn't all that relevant. .. and lose some weight, easier from the body than the bike.

Big%20smile

Gumpole keep in mind not everyone can climb well and especially in high cadence...some cadences drop to 40rpm in some cases..would anything lower than that not strain the knee's??? perhaps not I suppose...I know on a bad day I or some days I do climb a tad slower...to reserve some energy for later....

"DT Thumbs%20Up"

Gumpole - I can attest to that lose weight theory, I had quite some to lose. Lost +- 10 kilo's in the last 6-7 weeks and it has had a dramatic improvement in my climbing, ask Dirt Rider!

Instead of it costing money (as it would have to lighten my bike) it has in fact saved me money (on expensive sweets, lunchtime rolls, chips etc.!). Which I have now used to convert my MTB to tubeless!

ClapIt is true and well done to BB for sticking to his plan !! I just don't know what I must do next to stay with him !

May I suggest that well tested product called Evening Primrose Oil? Not taken oraly but applied to the well defined shaved legs? Looks good but has no effect on your speed whatsoever!

Smile Remember your bike next week DR.

Seriously i prefer sitting but do alternate a bit. I only learnt to stand and cycle comfortably when i started spinning classes. 

Big%20smile

Gumpole keep in mind not everyone can climb well and especially in high cadence...some cadences drop to 40rpm in some cases..would anything lower than that not strain the knee's??? perhaps not I suppose...I know on a bad day I or some days I do climb a tad slower...to reserve some energy for later....

"DT Thumbs%20Up"

Even more important for weak cyclists not to be pedalling at 40 RPM.

Imagine riding a flat race at 30km/h (or 23 or 47km/h, whatever speed you can maintain with a lot of effort). Now imagine you are in the 53-11 gear and grinding away at 40 rpm - its just stupid. I think weaker (or rather new riders) get into this macho 'out of the saddle struggle against the mountain' mindset when infact they are actually being very inefficient.

Not all people can climb at very high cadences like LA does but at 40 rpm you are either popping your knees or going much too slow.

Big%20smile

We did a Sun City ride not so long ago...very flat except a few rolling hills abound..average 32k' p/h..for 135 k's in distance..Cadence ave at 98rpm..max 120rpm...up those hills we kept the cadence high...for very very brief moments I used the 53 ring...not to lose that speed & cadence...Now comes these big hills & surely I cannot go up them at 98rpm evev if I weigh 73kg's....I do try honestly....

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Standing or sitting  ?? Whats wrong with walking

Yes, I was wondering that too.  Big%20smile

(Carmichael suggests training doing hill repeats alternately sitting and standing.)

Standing or sitting  ?? Whats wrong with walking

Yes' date=' I was wondering that too.  Big%20smile
[/quote']

The more you walk, the longer it takes to get to the beer. Doh!

TNT12006-10-05 07:08:43

Big%20smile

We did a Sun City ride not so long ago...very flat except a few rolling hills abound..average 32k' p/h..for 135 k's in distance..Cadence ave at 98rpm..max 120rpm...up those hills we kept the cadence high...for very very brief moments I used the 53 ring...not to lose that speed & cadence...Now comes these big hills & surely I cannot go up them at 98rpm evev if I weigh 73kg's....I do try honestly....

"DTThumbs%20Up"

LOL, if you can average 98 for the race, then you can easily do 98 for a hill - just in a smaller gear. You will have to switch to the 39 though!!! thats what it is for. If you are standing then a lower cadence but nowhere near 40. If you cant do that then you need easier gears/ triple/ compact to help!

I had a friend who decided to do the argus (40s, smoker, overweight, unfit) and she bout a second hand bianchi - old 7 speed with an easiest gear ratio of 42/21! She walked up the mineshaft at kyalami which was good training for walking up almost any hill at the argus!! final time 8 hours. If she had a bike with granny gears she would have been able to finish it a lot quicker and climbed most of the hills.