The i team revisited / new roadie hubbers

Pikey

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at my company end of year function...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you should rather post a video of that [emoji6][emoji23]

Looking back on the action, we didn't achieve much in terms of "training". One of the original questions was "how long do I sit on the front, or how much work do I do?". The problem is that there are so many small things that one needs to learn and let it become second nature.

I like to think of it like the Karate Kid - he was doing a lot of manual labour. After hours/days of hard work, he asked when he's going to learn "real" karate moves. Turned out that the wax on, wax off, painting and and and was preparing him for the moves.

So who's coming to wash and wax my car?  :D

Looking back on the action, we didn't achieve much in terms of "training". One of the original questions was "how long do I sit on the front, or how much work do I do?". The problem is that there are so many small things that one needs to learn and let it become second nature.

I like to think of it like the Karate Kid - he was doing a lot of manual labour. After hours/days of hard work, he asked when he's going to learn "real" karate moves. Turned out that the wax on, wax off, painting and and and was preparing him for the moves.

So who's coming to wash and wax my car?  :D

if it involves pedaling a bike I will. :whistling:

I know theory is just that, theory and its always better to practise with experienced guys like some of those that rode on Saturday, but some basic paceline pointers:

KEEP THE PACE The number one mistake riders make is picking up speed when they get to the front. "Some guys just want to show off; others are well-intentioned—they just aren't in tune with their effort and feel like they're supposed to take a pull, so they pull." As you're riding through the line, pay attention to the group's average speed and effort. When you get to the front, do your best to maintain those levels. The goal is to keep the pack together, not blow it apart or shell riders off the back.

MICROADJUST It's nearly impossible for everyone to put forth equal amounts of effort, especially on undulating terrain. You need to make adjustments along the way to prevent the “Slinky” effect, where the line alternately bunches together and becomes strung out, with big gaps. "It's better to make two small undercorrections than one big overcorrection,".

"Think of it like driving: You don't slam on the brakes, then hit the accelerator; you moderate your speed." To do that in a paceline, try one of these techniques:

Soft pedal: If you feel like you're getting sucked into the rider in front of you, take a light pedal stroke or two to adjust your speed accordingly.

Air brake: An easy (and safe) way to trim speed is to sit up and catch some wind. It'll slow you down a notch without disrupting the rhythm of the line.

Feather brake: Gently squeeze the brakes while continuing to pedal. You can scrub speed while shifting up or down as needed to alter your pace.

DON'T STARE Focusing on the wheel directly in front of you is a natural instinct when riding in a line, but it gives you zero time to react should something go awry. "Keep your head up and check about 10 meters down the road,". "Look through holes in the leading rider—over his shoulder, under his arm or through his legs—and ride proactively instead of reactively. This will help keep the line moving smoothly."

EASE OFF THE GAS Rather than accelerating when you pull, try to ride in the line at a steady pace and decelerate as you pull off and drift to the back. "This provides the right work-to-recovery ratio without all the punchy surges that tend to blow the weaker riders off the back,".

SHARE AND SHARE ALIKE Pacelines are designed to share the workload, so limit your pulls to a few minutes to stay fresh and give other riders a chance.

CONSERVE ENERGY If you feel tired, sit out a few turns until you're ready to take another pull. Simply open a spot for riders to rejoin the line in front of you, or come to the front and immediately pull off and drift to the back. You'll do the pack a favor by staying with them rather than working yourself into the red and falling off the back, which makes the group slow down to let you catch up.

Dude that video is perfect to show the pace line and what breaks it up and how it works.

Awesome awesome job G ???? Thanks to all who attended and to those that where teaching. Looking forward to the next one. Could be legendary.

Right now I have seen this video my arse is itching to ride

well done to you guys for taking up time to teach others, was going to join but had work, hopefully i will attend the next one. btw love the video

I would be happy to come through to to do the same loops again on Sat the 17th if anybody else is keen.

Sounds good ????

I would be happy to come through to to do the same loops again on Sat the 17th if anybody else is keen.

16th is a holiday if that will draw a bigger crowd..

I'm away that weekend

Can't make that weekend either - holiday time with the fandamily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived