L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

Yeah, depending on feedback from a number of existing and previous entries, the MalutiD90 might be moved to May... ????

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

That's interesting.. the 2 events won't survive if they clash and from what I have heard Maluti is a really nice event.

Any ideas what the number of entries are for L'Etape.. last time you said.it was around the 400 hey?

Edited by Gen

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting.. the 2 events won't survive if they clash and from what I have heard Maluti is a really nice event.

Any ideas what the number of entries are for L'Etape.. last time you said.it was around the 400 hey?

last time is was "less than 300".

Yesterday - less than 600, but I believe some people haven't paid yet, so the actual number is less.

last time is was "less than 300".

Yesterday - less than 600, but I believe some people haven't paid yet, so the actual number is less.

Sjoe .. one would have thought there would be a lot more by now.

Sjoe .. one would have thought there would be a lot more by now.

In all the years I''ve been involved with my club's race, at least 50% on the entries are done in the last week and a half before entries close.

It's only a few (road) races that can claim to sell out soon after entries open.

I can't see this one being any different.

In all the years I''ve been involved with my club's race, at least 50% on the entries are done in the last week and a half before entries close.

It's only a few (road) races that can claim to sell out soon after entries open.

I can't see this one being any different.

Aaah I see..

So will you be entering now or the week before.[emoji6]

Edited by Gen

Aaah I see..

So will you be entering now or the week before.[emoji6]

If I had my way, the week before entries close... [emoji16]

• 2 weeks later...

As promised a few pages back I went out this weekend with some mates to go do a little route check. I haven't edited the ride to just the race distance but have made a segment for it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/805385457/

https://www.strava.com/segments/13829436?filter=overall

If you want only the race route plus a few km's.

https://www.strava.com/activities/805699554#19684742343

Nice ride yesterday, pity some sections of the road need major repair.

Yip, most of the route is good. Just that 20km stretch from the Roseta turn that needs some major attention. Lets hope Alec can work some magic.

Yip, most of the route is good. Just that 20km stretch from the Roseta turn that needs some major attention. Lets hope Alec can work some magic.

Lets hope it will happen in time, and while on the fixing issue let him please shave off a few % gradient on that wall  :ph34r:

Awesome route

Like Spoke 101 mentioned, the road surface has a few potholes. Okay a lot of potholes. It's important to prepare for this ride. The Natal Midlands has awesome views, this make the ride very pleasing to the eye. It's simply beautiful. A number of the climbs are very steep. I suggest a compact crank and a 28 cassette. There are a number of long steady climbs as well. I also suggest 25mm tyres. The road surface is a little bumpy at times.

I would like add what I consumed during the ride yesterday. The ride time was just over 6 hours.

Before

Breakfast - Biogen porridge

Banana

Cup of coffee

Glass of water

750ml - Biogen carbogen

750ml - High5 Zero tablet

During

7 x 750ml - High5 Energy Source (3 bottles included a High5 Zero tablet)

6 x High5 Energy snack bars

1 x Whole wheat bun with Nutella

3 x Bananas

After

1 x 500ml water

1 x Steers choc milk shake

5 x Castle Lite beers 

I hope this helps you guys prepare.

Awesome route

Like Spoke 101 mentioned, the road surface has a few potholes. Okay a lot of potholes. It's important to prepare for this ride. The Natal Midlands has awesome views, this make the ride very pleasing to the eye. It's simply beautiful. A number of the climbs are very steep. I suggest a compact crank and a 28 cassette. There are a number of long steady climbs as well. I also suggest 25mm tyres. The road surface is a little bumpy at times.

I would like add what I consumed during the ride yesterday. The ride time was just over 6 hours.

Before

Breakfast - Biogen porridge

Banana

Cup of coffee

Glass of water

750ml - Biogen carbogen

750ml - High5 Zero tablet

During

7 x 750ml - High5 Energy Source (3 bottles included a High5 Zero tablet)

6 x High5 Energy snack bars

1 x Whole wheat bun with Nutella

3 x Bananas

After

1 x 500ml water

1 x Steers choc milk shake

5 x Castle Lite beers

I hope this helps you guys prepare.

Having cycled down to Durban along the final section of the route (Mooiriver to the finish), I have wondered what it would like going the other way. Guess I'll find out next year - can't wait as I enjoy the long, never-ending drags.

I am familiar with that section of the route and the conditions, as of mid-October. Perhaps I'm used to worse conditions, but I didn't think it was too bad.

Also not sure what temperatures are like in early April, but in October it was incredibly hot. A bottle filled with ice, and then ice cold water added to it, lasted 20 mins before it was just water.

• 2 weeks later...

With the new year here, its time to commit to training for this one!  Ive decided to sign up for this.  Lets keep each other motivated, the standard 100km sat morning ride is not going to cut it anymore :wacko: Time to get going!  

Gen and I will be selecting our domestiques to carry our waterbottles and spares in the weeks leading up to the event.  If you resemble Peter Sagan or Fabian Cancellara your application will receive special consideration. :P

With the new year here, its time to commit to training for this one! Ive decided to sign up for this. Lets keep each other motivated, the standard 100km sat morning ride is not going to cut it anymore :wacko: Time to get going!

Gen and I will be selecting our domestiques to carry our waterbottles and spares in the weeks leading up to the event. If you resemble Peter Sagan or Fabian Cancellara your application will receive special consideration. :P

He he he absolutely.

Hard training starts now.. have my base more or less.. was out with stomach bug before holiday and got back and had a head cold.. but yip.. back on the bike and going to go get the tough things done.[emoji106]

Happy that you are entering[emoji4]

Edited by Gen

Does anyone know how to set up a strava club for those of us training for this?

I don't have a clue :wacko:

I'd be less inclined to miss a ride if I see everyone else is training hard.