L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He he.. it seems my recipe has now changed again.. so from steady time in the saddle I now started with shorted harder rides during the week and long rides over the weekend.. and yip I am still only seeing HR and Time on my device.

Yesterday I did sprint sessions

Get to max then hold it..

Set 1: 3 x10 sec

Set 2: 10sec, 30sec, 10sec

Set 3: 3x10sec.

With 10-15min recovery in between sets.

I saw stars and nearly puked.

I am happy with how things are going atm..especially considering that I started from scratch.

This weekend I do my very first road race.

[emoji4]

I alternate longer rides between the RB and mtb..as hubby isn't all that fond of riding his mtb on tar.. so all good I am happy to ride which ever bike wherever and fortunately we have endless supply of dirt roads around.. Yeah they are corrugated and stacked with deep sand in places..but all good.

Edited by Gen

Jinne that was complicated.. I had 2 objectives.. find a group.. stay in group and control effort.

1.. I found a group early.. unfortunately there was a bad crash within the first 5km.. I had to use some Sagan skills to avoid going down.. Any case.. so I was a little cautious.. the group split up and when it regrouped they were just going too fast for my liking and I decided to rather just ride on my own till I find another group.. another rider came up to me and we rode together for a bit well for some time.. I decided to eat and when I looked again I was solo..ha ha ha.. all good decided that I would use this chance to test myself on the rolling hills and measure my effort.. somewhere I passed the other rider and about 43km in he came up to me again and we worked together, by this time we had turned and had a headwind.. which was fine as wind doesn't seem to bother me so much anymore .. so he would work on the downs and I on the ups.. about 54km in we latched on to a group of about 5 riders and parked off there for a bit sharing the work of course except one lady who I watched throughout the race she would jump groups and never work and get dropped and so on and so on...so I now get the frustration when people don't share the work and we weren't a lot in that little group. at about 67km in a faster group came past and I joined there..sharing work and finding myself on the front up the hills..and accidently riding away from them.. not intentionally I just focused on keeping the tempo on the up parts as this is my weakness and I have to improve on it.

So I learnt a lot.. 1 stop with the damn solo riding..and 2 my "climbing" isn't as bad as what I thought 3..the endurance is getting there as I felt better and better as the ride progressed.

All in all I am actually quite chuffed..and I am getting there.

It was a 84km race..(although I forgot to start the garmin at the very start and got 83.1km and an average of 28km/hr) also happy with that considering the too much solo riding and not getting that first objective done[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Edited by Gen

Nicely done Gen, sounds like you had a good day out.

It's the first weekend in ages that I'm forced to stay off the bike. Got up with a chest cold so had to rest. Hope it doesn't get too bad.

Jinne that was complicated.. I had 2 objectives.. find a group.. stay in group and control effort.

1.. I found a group early.. unfortunately there was a bad crash within the first 5km.. I had to use some Sagan skills to avoid going down.. Any case.. so I was a little cautious.. the group split up and when it regrouped they were just going too fast for my liking and I decided to rather just ride on my own till I find another group.. another rider came up to me and we rode together for a bit well for some time.. I decided to eat and when I looked again I was solo..ha ha ha.. all good decided that I would use this chance to test myself on the rolling hills and measure my effort.. somewhere I passed the other rider and about 43km in he came up to me again and we worked together, by this time we had turned and had a headwind.. which was fine as wind doesn't seem to bother me so much anymore .. so he would work on the downs and I on the ups.. about 54km in we latched on to a group of about 5 riders and parked off there for a bit sharing the work of course except one lady who I watched throughout the race she would jump groups and never work and get dropped and so on and so on...so I now get the frustration when people don't share the work and we weren't a lot in that little group. at about 67km in a fast group came past and I joined there..sharing work and finding myself on the front up the hills..and accidently riding away from them.. not intentionally I just focused on keeping the tempo on the up parts as this is my weakness and I have to improve on it.

So I learnt a lot.. 1 stop with the damn solo riding..and 2 my "climbing" isn't as bad as what I thought 3..the endurance is getting there as I felt better and better as the ride progressed.

All in all I am actually quite chuffed..and I am getting there.

Well done, Gen! Sounds like you are far more Froomey than you thought.

Nicely done Gen, sounds like you had a good day out.

It's the first weekend in ages that I'm forced to stay off the bike. Got up with a chest cold so had to rest. Hope it doesn't get too bad.

Thx Veeez, and look after yourself..hope you are better real soon.

I enjoyed myself.. and hubby had a lekker ride on the mtb race so all in all a lekker morning for us.

These guys just start so fast.. and it's a small race so you have the really fast guys ..the fast guys and I was stuck between the fast guys and the rest.. but I'll get there... Eventually [emoji23] [emoji23]

Edited by Gen

• 2 weeks later...

So how is everyone going?  It is the 99er race in CT this weekend and I have been shoved into %  :eek:

I am absolutely terrified.

So how is everyone going? It is the 99er race in CT this weekend and I have been shoved into % :eek:

Argh..

This last week has been a mess..between the weather and my kids schedule and their school I have battled to find time to cycle... also I think the rest was welcomed, had a few weeks with a lot of km done[emoji85] and felt a bit fatigued.

Getting onto the IDT tonight, for some hurting while going nowhere.

Edited by Gen

Argh..

This last week has been a mess..between the weather and my kids schedule and their school I have battled to find time to cycle... also I think the rest was welcomed, had a few weeks with a lot of km done[emoji85] and felt a bit fatigued.

Getting onto the IDT tonight, for some hurting while going nowhere.

Brilliant, Gen'

It is always better to get to the start slightly undercooked but fresh as Aru's daisy....

Rest lots.

You're a Mama as well and all that busy-ness.

Keep on going.

Sagan would be proud.

Brilliant, Gen'

It is always better to get to the start slightly undercooked but fresh as Aru's daisy....

Rest lots.

You're a Mama as well and all that busy-ness.

Keep on going.

Sagan would be proud.

He he he..

Thankfully I got my +-8weeks riding a lot of steady km in..just miffed I didn't get the hours in that I was planning last week... but hey what can you do.. but the rest was really welcome..I think I picked up a small calf muscle injury, which has now healed as I feel no discomfort there anymore.

But here we go lol

bbeadeae658a35ca5531517b0f5cac20.jpg

Edited by Gen

So how is everyone going?  It is the 99er race in CT this weekend and I have been shoved into %  :eek:

Building up again after having 8 days off the bike with the flu. This week is easy and then next week is back to suffering...

Plan to ride some of the route later this month.

Building up again after having 8 days off the bike with the flu. This week is easy and then next week is back to suffering...

Lekker, glad you are better

I'd love a nice detailed description of the pain that awaits[emoji6]

Edited by Gen

Yes please send us descriptions!! Wish I had the opportunity to ride some of the route  :thumbup: