L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

Postponing the event and citing the condition of the road as the only reason is just an excuse.  When we did the recon ride there is a 20km section where potholes were being filled.  On the day I chose to not ride a tight bunch so that we had space to move around the odd hole, single file worked well here.  I suppose racing that section would be hazardous if the holes were not filled on time.  Riding it socially..... I don't see a problem.  The rest of the route is beautiful, maybe we should ask Antoo to share some of his scenery photos with us?

All the holes will not be filled in a weeks time. Too many to do at their current rate of progress. However , you are absolutely right. Would be hazardous for bunch racing but no issues at all at a slower pace where you just work your way around the holes. Great piece of road to ride. The Loteni road out of Nottingham road is also very nice to ride ,but you will have to ride out and back rather than a loop. Avoid the R103 from Mooi River to Rosetta without road closure. Traffic can be an issue , especially big trucks. Vehicles travel fast on this section and there is no shoulder.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Postponing the event and citing the condition of the road as the only reason is just an excuse. When we did the recon ride there is a 20km section where potholes were being filled. On the day I chose to not ride a tight bunch so that we had space to move around the odd hole, single file worked well here. I suppose racing that section would be hazardous if the holes were not filled on time. Riding it socially..... I don't see a problem. The rest of the route is beautiful, maybe we should ask Antoo to share some of his scenery photos with us?

I reckon the big thing was not being able to get the necessary permission for road closures..and also the low entries.

All the holes will not be filled in a weeks time. Too many to do at their current rate of progress. However , you are absolutely right. Would be hazardous for bunch racing but no issues at all at a slower pace where you just work your way around the holes. Great piece of road to ride. The Loteni road out of Nottingham road is also very nice to ride ,but you will have to ride out and back rather than a loop. Avoid the R103 from Mooi River to Rosetta without road closure. Traffic can be an issue , especially big trucks. Vehicles travel fast on this section and there is no shoulder.

If there was ever a intent hostage the event, why not simply offer a route that misses the potholes. I don't know where the potholes are,so start after them or make the race up to the potholes and back, there have to be options. A lot of people have spent a lot of money to get there. A shorter route or something could have been offered. I doubt the event was ever going to take place. 

Just chatted to Andy and he isn't even aware that its off yet.

Nooit they haven't bothered to let their celeb know yet, shees they are tossing name all over.

I reckon the big thing was not being able to get the necessary permission for road closures..and also the low entries.

Road closures should've been finalized before announcing the event, taken the prestige of the whole thing.

As for low entries as a result of perhaps too high a entry fee.

I feel sorry for the riders who have booked plane tickets, paid deposits on accomodation.

Postponed until when?

They were expecting to get alot more entries, so maybe they haven't hit the target which is why this has happened...

CSA could be in on the whole thing and just playing along to make it seem more legit. Damn, anything is possible in this country.

In view of the turn this event has taken. Has anybody planned to enter the Liberty 250 in Ballito in June? It's also a new event on the calendar, wanted to ride it with a few mates but don't want to go through the expense, again, and then no race.

In future events may need to put up guarantees with CSA as to their ability to perform. CSA should also perform a basic clearance check (road closures, medics, health and safety, back-up route plan, etc.) before they sanction an event.

If the rumours of cancelling due to a poor turn-out is true, it would be incredibly poor form to cancel on these grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All the holes will not be filled in a weeks time.

You guys started this thread 6 months ago about the event.

I'd say enough time to ensure a route with proper road surface.

Gerald, to totally hijack this, how many go on your club rides?

I ask because there was a thing on the radio this morning. Something about if there are more than 6 people (something like that) attending an organised event, one needs to obtain permission. Loads of folk chatted about cyclists, but also picnics with families on the beach, birthday parties, etc.

Just wondering what would happen if a cop stops you ... "no officer, we are individuals and we all just ride at the same speed. No officer, Gerald, that oke with the chicks at the back, he organised nothing. No, thats not his Mrs chasing him down with the car that looks like our team kit."

I'll be honest and say I am not aware of >6 people requiring permission to ride an organized ride. I'll check the relevant documentation we submit for an event, but that's something new to me. Perhaps a local by-law?

We have up to 40 people on a club ride (on a good day), and have never had a problem with the authorities - even riding 2 abreast. We greet the officers too and they greet back.

I do know that it's illegal for vehicles to drive in convoy, without permission. It's somewhere in the Road Traffic Act.

As far as an "organized" ride next week, I am not worried about it, at all. (1) we are not charging anyone an entrance fee, but rather a contributions (voluntary) to the fuel for the backup car, and (2) as long as we ride according to the road rules, we shouldn't have a problem. And yes, I do know that 2 abreast is illegal - even though I'm sure we'll be riding two abreast, except where traffic is busy and requires that we ride single file (like the R103).

Lucky I'm too poor at the moment to have shelled out for an entry and a weekend in the Midlands.

But this is disgraceful.

The organizers (and the individuals involved) should be blacklisted and banned from ever organizing another cycle race.

Conspiracy theory: could the cancellation have been made to try to boost attendance at the Maputo double 90?

Edited by Grogs

In future events may need to put up guarantees with CSA as to their ability to perform. CSA should also perform a basic clearance check (road closures, medics, health and safety, back-up route plan, etc.) before they sanction an event.

If the rumours of cancelling due to a poor turn-out is true, it would be incredibly poor form to cancel on these grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your first paragraph is part of the problem in the current system.

In all the years I've been involved with the organizing committee of our race, we've always had the sanctioning given long before the checks are done. Sure, our paperwork is all in place at least 4-6 months before the event, as per the regulations for hosting a sports/recreational event - referred to as SASREA (Safety At Sports and Recreational Events Act).

Back to the problem - last year's MTB event we added to our weekend of racing was only checked on the morning of the race. The MTB Commissaire was appointed less than 48 hours before the event. Although we have a proven track record on the road, it doesn't mean we have all our ducks in a row for the MTB event. Thankfully we were okay, with one or two minor things to change for the next event, but it's not safety critical.

As you have said, there needs to be a pre-check before sanctioning is given, and before entries open. A final approval should be given before entries close to ensure everything is still the same or improved (if noted at the pre-check. Then the usual activities leading up to the start of the event.

Edited by geraldm24

Lucky I'm too poor at the moment to have shelled out for an entry and a weekend in the Midlands.

But this is disgraceful.

The organizers (and the individuals involved) should be blacklisted and banned from ever organizing another cycle race.

Conspiracy theory: could the cancellation have been made to try to boost attendance at the Maputo double 90?

Maluti entries already closed and not an easy event to plan for in terms of teams, accommodation etc.

I would suggest that we create a whatsapp group for all those still interested on a ride on Sunday!

Maybe one of the locals there who is planning on riding can organize it and suggest a meeting point?

I am as a Capetonian certainly gonna give the Meander a bash :)

Shell Belle, Gerald24 etc. maybe we can all make a plan :) Don't kind whether we do 80,100,120 or the whole route if even possible but could be fun to meet new people and just enjoy the scenery !

I would suggest that we create a whatsapp group for all those still interested on a ride on Sunday!

Maybe one of the locals there who is planning on riding can organize it and suggest a meeting point?

I am as a Capetonian certainly gonna give the Meander a bash :)

Shell Belle, Gerald24 etc. maybe we can all make a plan :) Don't kind whether we do 80,100,120 or the whole route if even possible but could be fun to meet new people and just enjoy the scenery !

There will be 4 of us there from JHB driving down on Saturday morning. One of the guys flew in from Dubai to do the race, you can imagine his expenses. We are going to try and ride the route anyway. So very keen to join in with a bigger group.