L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

There is a group of 4-5 of us from JHB who are still interested in coming and riding on Sunday. We have paid for the accommodation so why not?! 

Would be great to join a bigger group so please keep the updates flowing. Hopefully see you there! 

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning everyone.....okay lets get this thing sorted!!!

Time to start sorting out details/

I'm going to set up a wattsapp group this morning.  Pm me your no. and Ill add you. Please indicate if you would like to be made an admin so that you can add other friends or club members. 

P.s  If You are a group admin and you change my group icon I'm going to box you and then make you carry my watterbottles on the day. 'Just saying :whistling:

European organizers + Local municipalities = Non event

Local organisers..they just use the TDF name and format for the event and probably a hefty fee.

Morning everyone.....okay lets get this thing sorted!!!

Time to start sorting out details/

I'm going to set up a wattsapp group this morning. Pm me your no. and Ill add you. Please indicate if you would like to be made an admin so that you can add other friends or club members.

There's an "Invite to group via link" option once you've created the group.

If you can PM that link, then I can get one or two members to join. Easier than adding numbers.

a2464ee7e7f43ecc398ce4fb0471fe13.jpg

In terms of our club, we have 14-16 interested. Knowing their strengths or lack of, we might have to split the group in two - based on speed. Regroup at a certain point to refuel and eat.

I'll see if someone in the club can take our trailer (can fit 10-bikes, if the need arises). We also have a dedicated person for backup. If anyone else wants/has someone to do backup, then two groups are possible.

How do we convince Gen to join us on Sunday for a roadie ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do we convince Gen to join us on Sunday for a roadie ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly!!!  when riding a double paceline and she sits on the inside away from the cars?

Please Gen!!!  We will look after you

Local organisers..they just use the TDF name and format for the event and probably a hefty fee.

ASO probably sells franchises to the likes of Octagon  who then made a deal /  "formed" Buyu Sport & Entertainment in SA (who quite possibly have never organised an event let alone a bike race) but who players may have featured  in the Commonwealth Games fiasco of which Octagon was involved - its more about wheeling and dealing with frigging brands than being of any utility to the world and civilisation at large.

What are the distances available?  Speed?  I may just trip it slowly and see how far I get?

Don't want to be hassle though.

Joined the whatsapp group :) Think its gonna be a blast! Are we still aiming to do 160 if that is even possible ?!

Joined the whatsapp group :) Think its gonna be a blast! Are we still aiming to do 160 if that is even possible ?!

The route will still be 160(-2k to Mandela capture site) if we start and finish at Piggly. The only way to cut it shorter would be to start at Notties but that would not be viable.

If we start early from Piggly we should have quiet roads up to Rosetta. from Rosetta to Kamberg there is very little traffic. The issue here will be the potholes. There are some fast descents and bends where if you are in a tight bunch you cannot fore see the holes. This issue continues for a good 10-15k. once past Glengarry the potholes are no longer an issue. Only the usual odd one here and there but easy to avoid.

After the monster Vaalkop and San Soucie (good first water point) climb the road to Mooi River is OK. long smooth and undulating with the odd pothole which are easy to avoid and very little traffic.

The real issue is entering Mooi River. Riders need to take a few turns to get through the centre of town and onto the Rosetta road. here midday taxis etc will need to be avoided. Someone will need to know how to get in and out of Mooi River as there are a few confusing turns to take.

A good water stop place is outside Mooi  River at the 1 stop/wimpy.

The first real issue starts now. The road to Rosetta has a narrow verge and will now be busy due to it being later in the day on the popular Midlands Meander route This is where riders must be careful.

Once past Notties it is a bit easier but riders must still be vigilant. Expect a fast last 30K back to Piggly.

What time is sunrise in that part of town? The race was scheduled to start at 06:00, so I guess a similar start time could/should be considered. And I guess the start time should be the "leave" time and not the arrive at Piggly Wiggly time.

I think Piggly Wiggly will be a sensible start point, providing their gates are open that early in the morning (when no race is taking place).

Bring

Pack some spare bottles to keep in the cooler box/fridge, and bring a small bag with race nutrition (bars, gels, bananas, etc.) to keep in the car and used at the water stops. Just remember to mark your bottles and bags with your name, for easy and quick searching. Don't forget some change for post ride drinks and a donation to the back up driver (their fuel costs).

The route

From experience riding on our JHB-Durban tours, traffic can back up along the R103 from Rosetta to Notties, so riding single file may be required on certain sections. We've usually had one or two riders at the front looking for open gaps on the oncoming lane and then calling cars through - the drivers seem to understand and seem quite considerate.

WhatsApp group

If you want to join the WhatsApp group - let me know by PM and I can share the link to join.

Here is the route on www.ridewithgps.com.

post-1372-0-41808900-1490546334_thumb.png

Perhaps the first stop after the KOM (+/- 63Km), and as Chainsaw suggests, the second one at the Engen/Wimpy in Mooiriver (110Km). A nasty bump coming out of Mooiriver and then a nice long downhill to the finish (with a few bumps in between).

post-1372-0-86203100-1490546548_thumb.png

Archived