L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

Recent email from cycle events regarding credit card refunds

Good day,

Thank you for your email.

Please find attached the statement that the organizers has sent to all the riders.

We will be handling the Credit Card refunds.

We will not need any information from you.

All transactions will just be reversed.

We are just waiting to get the go ahead from the organisers.

An automatic confirmation will be emailed to you as soon as the refund has been completed.

For any other queries please do not hesitate to ask.

*that bit - waiting for go ahead from organisers is the worrying bit*

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I received an email on Saturday to say a race i had enter for July has been cancelled.I opted to get reimbursed rather than transfer entry to next year.

Money was paid into my acc this morning :thumbup:

What's taking this lot so long then?

I received an email on Saturday to say a race i had enter for July has been cancelled.I opted to get reimbursed rather than transfer entry to next year.

Money was paid into my acc this morning :thumbup:

hellooooo, this is South Africa, gooobye

Money was paid into my acc this morning [emoji106]

I suspects the organisers are scrambling to find the money.

They should maybe just check under the mattress.

Gen (and anyone else unsure of how online entries work),

If you've entered any event on the Cycle Events (CE) database, they have your details on record. You login using either your ID number, Email address or FB as the password.

As an event organiser, we can request certain information relevant to the event, which lists some, but not all information - they have to comply with the POPI act, just like an event organiser must. CE also has the infrastructure to send out bulk emails/SMSs to all participants, which is why you are receiving the emails from them, and not the organiser.

So, having spoken to CE yesterday to try get an understanding of what is going on, it is clear they need more information from the organiser before they will commit to anything firm. Concern #1 

Depending on the agreement with CE, part payments will be made at certain intervals before and after the event. Concern #2 - if portions of the money has been paid over to the organiser, it needs to be paid back to CE, so they can then reverse the credit card transactions. This is why they specified up to 4 days in one of the emails I got.

Hope this helps clear up possible reasons why the refund is not immediate.

Gen (and anyone else unsure of how online entries work),

If you've entered any event on the Cycle Events (CE) database, they have your details on record. You login using either your ID number, Email address or FB as the password.

As an event organiser, we can request certain information relevant to the event, which lists some, but not all information - they have to comply with the POPI act, just like an event organiser must. CE also has the infrastructure to send out bulk emails/SMSs to all participants, which is why you are receiving the emails from them, and not the organiser.

So, having spoken to CE yesterday to try get an understanding of what is going on, it is clear they need more information from the organiser before they will commit to anything firm. Concern #1

Depending on the agreement with CE, part payments will be made at certain intervals before and after the event. Concern #2 - if portions of the money has been paid over to the organiser, it needs to be paid back to CE, so they can then reverse the credit card transactions. This is why they specified up to 4 days in one of the emails I got.

Hope this helps clear up possible reasons why the refund is not immediate.

Thx

What I left off the last reply, is that certain money would have (or rather should have) been spent on t-shirts, medals, branding at the start/finish, route signage, plus deposits for fencing, toilet hire, medical teams, marquees, and much more.

Assuming the checks and balances were checked during the meeting with CSA, and haven't been booked. So some of this may not have been in place, so maybe the money hasn't been spent - who knows?

What I left off the last reply, is that certain money would have (or rather should have) been spent on t-shirts, medals, branding at the start/finish, route signage, plus deposits for fencing, toilet hire, medical teams, marquees, and much more.

Was wondering this morning about this.Has any of this been done and if not then isn't it fraud?

Was wondering this morning about this.Has any of this been done and if not then isn't it fraud?

Time will tell - if they offer another event.

I was thinking about the Munga that got postponed - everyone was refunded (I assume) in full, and they returned to host the event (and another). Sure, some of the guys that had originally entered never returned, while others have.

I suspects the organisers are scrambling to find the money.

They should maybe just check under the mattress.

someone probably needs to sell a ferrari or a bentley

Summary:

CTCT - good guys keeping your entry fee

L'Etape SA - bad guys refunding your entry fee

As far as I'm concerned the event organisers should reach into their pockets and fund these costs, they chose to launch the 'business venture', they were going to be the beneficiaries of any profits and hence they should bear the risk of losses. Moreover this situation arose due to their incompetence. That's how business works. Now #paybackthemoney in full!

I hope we have all the answers we need by this weekend. We are going to have a fat jol of a ride and hopefully talk about all sorts of nonsense. I don't want to have a seven hour moan about the Le'Tape organisers.

I hope we have all the answers we need by this weekend. We are going to have a fat jol of a ride and hopefully talk about all sorts of nonsense. I don't want to have a seven hour moan about the Le'Tape organisers.

Even if we don't have all the answers yet, I'm still looking forward to checking out the route and the scenery regardless. Yes, we're all out of pocket to some extent or another, and it is a serious issue, but while out there I'm not going to be thinking about it.

As far as I'm concerned the event organisers should reach into their pockets and fund these costs, they chose to launch the 'business venture', they were going to be the beneficiaries of any profits and hence they should bear the risk of losses. Moreover this situation arose due to their incompetence. That's how business works. Now #paybackthemoney in full!

This doesn't help my efforts to ease the pain some of the participants are expressing on this forum...  ^_^

Archived