L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

I also posted it in one of the many insurance-related threads when they announced it. Can't hurt to share it again  :D

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted it on one of the Cycle Tour threads

edit: this one

post-1372-0-95216700-1489499155.jpg

Don't think this would have helped anyone sitting on the start line at CTCT2017

Don't think this would have helped anyone sitting on the start line at CTCT2017

And not for this event either.

It was posted in reply to someone else's post.

CTCT and this is worlds apart when pondering the question from a moral AND legal stand point.

Let us assume that CTCT organisers took the decision to proceed with the event despite caution issued by various experts consulted before the call was made to cancel. This would mean a decision to proceed could be interpreted as gross negligence on the part of the organisers.

Legally no one can indemnify themselves from gross negligence no matter what terms and conditions stipulate. So if people were fatally injured there would be an argument to be made that all responsible for the decision to proceed could be held accountable and charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Morally I would say that CTCT could at best be asked for a partial refund which I would say should be calculated as follows.

Total amount received by CTCT trust minus cost to host event minus any charity contributions equals profit divided by amount of entries equals refund to each participant.

CTCT and this is worlds apart when pondering the question from a moral AND legal stand point.

Let us assume that CTCT organisers took the decision to proceed with the event despite caution issued by various experts consulted before the call was made to cancel. This would mean a decision to proceed could be interpreted as gross negligence on the part of the organisers.

Legally no one can indemnify themselves from gross negligence no matter what terms and conditions stipulate. So if people were fatally injured there would be an argument to be made that all responsible for the decision to proceed could be held accountable and charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Morally I would say that CTCT could at best be asked for a partial refund which I would say should be calculated as follows.

Total amount received by CTCT trust minus cost to host event minus any charity contributions equals profit divided by amount of entries equals refund to each participant.

Ummm that's what they did, all profit is distributed to charities. So the remainder of the profit of the cycle tour was returned to the entrants. 0/35000 =0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummm that's what they did, all profit is distributed to charities. So the remainder of the profit of the cycle tour was returned to the entrants. 0/35000 =0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to share the set of accounts please? [emoji23]

On what scale would you define "anyone else"?

Assume you're talking road events?

I'll add my list of non-ASG events and the number of entries at each one, once you reply.

I mean scale as in number of events (not necessarily size of those events), and yes, road. 

In my mind, there are the full road-closure events:

• CTCT
  • Shova
  • Tour Durban

Then, beyond those, the National Classic (obviously), R4S, R4V, Fast One, 99er, Stellies are of the other sort of scale (size of field), but are organised independently. A dozen or so far smaller events (think Wilro or any of the races in places like Mangaung). 

ASG events tend to stand out, because they happen with some regularity: they're well-spaced through the calendar... (and the 5 emails a week probably help!!)

I know this was discussed on another thread, but banding some of these GP events together as a 'series' would be an excellent idea. 

In the chat with my mate, we agreed that a) there aren't too many skilled organisers in the country who could pull off something like L'Etape (PROPERLY!) and b) road cycling is slowly being eaten by MTB... Both entire threads on their own, I guess ^_^  

At least someone has bought the PR offensive by CTCT hook line and sinker. Gullible much? I better pull out the old gullibility virus email. It's like the helmet saved my life. How do you know people would have been injured or died because the CTCT started? Do you know that EVERY YEAR riders get injured in the CTCT, some have even died? Hell, every day someone on a bike gets injured.

What is next, the nanny state of cycling.

Meezo is 100% correct, whatever the reason the benchmark for an event getting cancelled has been set.

Yawn

Me not yet.

Who did e-mail come from?

The email I received yesterday was from Virtual Card Services and it was an automated receipt confirming the refund of entry fees.  I paid via credit card so they are just refunding the payment.  I have yet to see the money reflected in my account but this usually takes a few days.

Did you pay via credit card or EFT?

The email I received yesterday was from Virtual Card Services and it was an automated receipt confirming the refund of entry fees.  I paid via credit card so they are just refunding the payment.  I have yet to see the money reflected in my account but this usually takes a few days.

Did you pay via credit card or EFT?

The statement from the organizers said 4 days from notification. 

I paid via CC, not EFT. 

Archived