Buying a Garmin Edge 520 from overseas

Muttley

And if you're a new customer you get another 10 quid off so that makes it R2983.  Cheaper than your buddies second hand one.

Bargain.

And if you're a new customer you get another 10 quid off so that makes it R2983.  Cheaper than your buddies second hand one.

Bargain.

Thanks but:

Sorry - this product is no longer available

This Garmin Edge 520 GPS Cycle Computer is no longer available although you may find similar or newer versions below:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks but:

Sorry - this product is no longer available

This Garmin Edge 520 GPS Cycle Computer is no longer available although you may find similar or newer versions below:

don't ship garmin + sram to SA

But if you've already got a buddy in the UK, then ship to them.  Simples.

Didn't realise that I needed to change the region to UK-

I've got a UK address with aramexglobalshopper so that's no prob.

The unit you're referring to is just for the unit, not the bundle- the bundle works out to +-R4300

Thanks for the help tho  :thumbup:

They are loaded with a base map which shows like 2 streets per major city as it only has just over 100MB of memory!

As mentioned above you can go to DC Rainmaker's blog https://www.dcrainma...-705800810.html

and download a location specific map that shows more detail. I did it about an hour ago and it definitely shows more street detail. I wanted the entire SA map but this was over 127MB!

The maps are devided up into sections so just select whatever area's you will be riding in.

I am not sure what will happen if you go to an area that is not covered by the maps you select. All I can assume is that no information will be shown on the screen but it should still record your location which will pull across to Garmin connect and Strava when you sync your recorded runs.

Didn't realise that I needed to change the region to UK-

I've got a UK address with aramexglobalshopper so that's no prob.

The unit you're referring to is just for the unit, not the bundle- the bundle works out to +-R4300

Thanks for the help tho  :thumbup:

If you ship to UK address you pay vat over there and vat when it gets here.

If you ship to UK address you pay vat over there and vat when it gets here.

But if he's selling it to me privately, surely there's no additional VAT added as he's not a VAT vendor?

I know I'm deff in for the 15.4% on this side plus about R170 for shipping

Out of interest, what did you end up paying for the 520 after the R1800 discount?

No it wasn't a R1800 discount..... I paid R1800 for the new 520 bundle with cadence sensor, HR unit etc.

Garmin SA are excellent when it comes to replacement units.

The faulty Edge 500 that I traded against the 520 was itself a cheap upgrade (about R1500) from a previous faulty edge 500.

Unfortunately only if your Garmin is broken, not possible for a fair trade in and nothing wrong with the unit, Garmin confirmed.

Mine broke because I dropped it a few times.... you could "drop yours too" :whistling:

The Garmin aftersales service in SA is brilliant.

I will continue to support local agents and retailers that look after me when there is a problem. They are entitled to make a profit which funds staff, premises, stock and spares.

After having three Garmins repaired/replaced/upgraded, I have complete confidence in the local distributors.

And, when I showed the guy at their stand at the 947 Expo on Friday how my Fenix 3 strap was wearing through, he replaced it free of charge.

I wouldn't consider any product from Garmin that didn't come through the official channels.

No it wasn't a R1800 discount..... I paid R1800 for the new 520!

Garmin SA are excellent when it comes to replacement units.

The faulty Edge 500 that I traded against the 520 was itself a cheap upgrade (about R1500) from a previous faulty edge 500.

WOW...that's an awesome deal... :ph34r:  :whistling:  some other Garmin users might "drop" their units too... :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

The trade for a Edge 500 upgrade to 520 for R1900 is not a bad option. But then you need a 500 first.  :whistling:

Will it be possible to trade a 100% working 500 also for a 520? :blush:

Garmin available for shipping from the following retailers, 

Ribble, Merlin and Totalcycling.

AFAIK all you pay is postage + 15.4%.

Will it be possible to trade a 100% working 500 also for a 520? :blush:

Lol - sadly not.... good news is that the 500 will eventually konk out and then you can qualify :)

Garmin available for shipping from the following retailers, 

Ribble, Merlin and Totalcycling.

AFAIK all you pay is postage + 15.4%.

And the Germans over at Bike24 and Starbike. 

Archived