Buying a Garmin Edge 520 from overseas

Muttley

Hi all,

I've got a mate in the UK who's willing to sell me his Garmin Edge 520 for +-R3000- it's hardly been used and it looks like it's in great condition.

Does anyone know if the maps etc will work if I buy it and bring it to SA?

Can't seem to find info on this on the net.

TIA

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you won't be able to claim warranty here in SA I dont think which can be quite costly. I recently had issues with my 4 year old Edge 500 which I bought from Garmin SA. They traded it in for me against a new 520 for R1800. Edge 500 was also a trade in at a minimal cost.

Longer term much better idea to buy local.

Hi all,

I've got a mate in the UK who's willing to sell me his Garmin Edge 520 for +-R3000- it's hardly been used and it looks like it's in great condition.

Does anyone know if the maps etc will work if I buy it and bring it to SA?

Can't seem to find info on this on the net.

TIA

If its the same as other Garmin devices, it depends what maps are already loaded....Southern Africa maps may be needed.......

OR....

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

Edited by capediver

you won't be able to claim warranty here in SA I dont think which can be quite costly. I recently had issues with my 4 year old Edge 500 which I bought from Garmin SA. They traded it in for me against a new 520 for R1800. Edge 500 was also a trade in at a minimal cost.

Longer term much better idea to buy local

Out of interest, what did you end up paying for the 520 after the R1800 discount?

Out of interest, what did you end up paying for the 520 after the R1800 discount?

R1800. That was the price, Not the discount.

R1800. That was the price, Not the discount.

Had a similar experience when I shoved my finger through a 510 touch screen... R1750 and got an upgrade.

And ... you can't fool Garmin to say you bought it locally. They check the unit when it went "live" first and tell you the date AND where it first connected to satellite. :eek:

The trade for a Edge 500 upgrade to 520 for R1900 is not a bad option. But then you need a 500 first.  :whistling:

Had a similar experience when I shoved my finger through a 510 touch screen... R1750 and got an upgrade.

Longer term much better idea to buy local.

Unfortunately only if your Garmin is broken, not possible for a fair trade in and nothing wrong with the unit, Garmin confirmed.

Edited by CASSIE1975

Good point, I bet it was more than the R4150.00 I paid for the Garmin 520 Bundle I just bought from Total cycling.  I also got extra  Speed and Cadence sensors for two bikes, and another HR belt from  Bike 24 Germany at 50% of the price on the Garmin SA store.

In the Past Garmin SA have done the same upgrade deal for me on an faulty overseas bought GPS, but it did not save me anything on buying another overseas one.

And if you're a new customer you get another 10 quid off so that makes it R2983.  Cheaper than your buddies second hand one.

Bargain.

+ 15.4% vat and postage.

Just load new maps.

DC Rainmaker has a nice tutorial on it. 

Did it on the 820 and it works fine.

Does it use a standard mount like K-edge or do you need the XL mount?