The Classics

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the exchange between Peter Sagan and a Belgian television station before the start in Ghent. Cycling's answer to Frost/Nixon.

- How is your form?

- I don’t know. It depends on the results and then we will see how it is going.

- Are you looking forward to the Classics?

- Yes, that’s why I am here.

- Do you expect a duel with Greg Van Avermaet?

- I will be racing a lot of riders in the peloton, not only him.

162km remaining from 198.3km

Still no flurry of attacking off the front of the peloton, but it's hardly as though the bunch has called a piano. The pace remains brisk, though not excessively so.

????????????There is a crash in the peloton ahead of the cobbled sector at Haaghoek, which precedes the Leberg

Remember Villagers? And alternating 2 hours of English and Afrikaans.

And lest us not forget the Viilage People!

Joke was growing up in a seriously homophobic, racist, narrow minded and blinkered society on the D0os Rand (where even the slightest effeminate bros were bullied and taunted to tears)  they and Queen and Elton "Rocket Man" were all the rage .. little did we know lol.

But I digress... although I will confess my army number started with a 76

Edited by kosmonooit

143km remaining from 198.3km

The first break of the race goes clear ahead of the Leberg, meanwhile, as Gediminas Bagdonas (AG2R La Mondiale) and Justin Jules (Veranclassic) forge clear. They have 40 seconds in hand by the top of the Leberg and pad that advantage out still further as they head towards Berendries, the second climb of the day.

Bagdonas and Jules extend their lead to 1:30 over the Tenbosse, while Leigh Howard (Aqua Blue) and Preben Van Hecke (Topsport Vlaanderen-Baloise) give chase ahead of the main peloton.

132km remaining from 198.3km

Howard and Van Hecke's chase effort has been joined by Mike Teunissen (Sunweb) and Brian van Goethem (Roompot) ahead of the Eikenmolen. The four-man group is 1:00 behind Bagdonas and Jules, with the peloton a further 30 seconds back.

????????????

There has been another crash in the peloton ahead of the Muur, with riders from Quick-Step, Lotto Soudal and Sunweb involved, though Sporza does not report any significant consequences. The break's lead, meanwhile, is nudging northwards towards the 8-minute mark.

107km remaining from 198.3km

While the six leaders plough are 8 minutes clear of the bunch, Guillaume Boivin (Israel Cycling Academy) is gamely giving chase alone, though he the Canadian is some five minutes down on the break.