Going solo in the final 20 mins

http://capovelo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/PeterSagan_Flanders2016.jpg

Damn that was something incredible. Edited by Gen

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 115th running of the Paris-Roubaix spring classic will include four French Pro Continental teams, in addition to the full slate of WorldTour squads, organizer ASO announced Monday. Two Belgian teams and a Dutch outfit were also included in the line-up for the 2017 “Queen of the Classics,” which will run April 9 in France.

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/news/paris-roubaix-announces-2017-teams_430994#wRVFP27ZxCQlVr5p.99

Here is a preview are of some of the bigger names for the cobbles races. For each of them, I give a precis of their results thus far, and compare these to their own results in previous seasons. I am judging them against their own “curve”  in the context of a rapidly changing early-season calendar and team changes.

Tom Boonen:

Results this year: A first and second in San Juan. Meh in Oman.

Expectations: The win in San Luis was his first pre-April win since 2014, but in his peak years he started the season dominantly. Hard to compare his performance in the absence of Qatar, where he was routinely brilliant, but this year's early-season form looks very promising. The last time he won in Argentina was 2012, and you don’t need me to tell you how good he was that year.

His curve: I’d say he’s ahead of it, for a rider in his final season. The signs are promising for an on-form Boonen crushing one final year on his beloved cobbles. Gosh, I hope that happens.

Alexander Kristoff:

Results this year: Two wins in Oman. A win and two seconds in Besseges.

Expectations: Kristoff starts the year winning, and to be honest it doesn’t tell us very much. Has gone awfully well in Qatar the last three years and his Classics form has been up and down after that. Still, for a guy who, his critics say, has sacrificed his sprinting speed, the wins are encouraging (though he’s not beating top-tier sprinters, with Demare probably his most notable scalp).

His curve: He’s right on the curve, and you’d be hopeful he’s preparing to give of his very best. As one of the most consistently high-performing guys in the peloton, not a big worry.

Peter Sagan:

Results this year: Proved to everyone’s satisfaction that he was second-fastest, to Caleb Ewan, in the Tour Down Under, and hasn’t raced since. Due to reappear at Omloop where his form will be a mystery.

Expectations: He’s not the hottest of starters, and last year’s run in San Luis looked a bit like this year’s TdU. He came out with 2nd in Omloop on his next start last year before a spring, and season, that were distinctly above average.

His curve: Something of a mystery but he’s earned our trust and you’d assume he’s going to be ready to be competitive come opening weekend. The move in his race programme looks like it was for sponsorship, not anything to do with starting earlier or racing different roads. He’s nicely on his curve.

Sep Vanmarcke:

Results this year: Utterly anonymous so far in Valencia and Algarve

Expectations: He’s always utterly anonymous as he gets the miles in before the Omloop. It doesn’t mean a great deal.

His curve: I assume he's on his curve, but how can you tell? Nothing to see here.

Niki Terpstra:

Results this year: A couple of top 20s in Oman, but nothing to shout about. Helper for Dan Martin in Valencia.

Expectations: A man who can time trial and find the right echelon, Terpstra won Qatar in 2014 and 2015, and had great springs. Last year he was less impressive early and a win in Le Samyn was the highlight of a relatively disappointing spring.

His curve: He’s behind the curve, though he's certainly missing the Tour of Qatar and I might be overstating the case. On that basis, it’ll be interesting to see how he goes in Omloop. Others at Quick-Step are looking better right now.

Jon Degenkolb:

Results this year: A win and never outside the top five in Dubai (with a top sprint field) and another fifth in a good field at Algarve.

Expectations: Draw a big line through last year, but he’s had decent early season runs in 2014 (Besseges and the Mediterranean) and 2015 (Dubai and Ruta del Sol).

His curve: Sets a high standard for his early season results but he’s ahead of it. Looks like the crash is firmly behind him and he’s one to have confidence in.

Lars Boom:

Results this year: Picked up 5th in an 18km time trial in Algarve.

Expectations: His time trial form has proved a surprisingly useful barometer to spring success. His peak years came when he was able to ride with the best against the clock in Mediteranean (2013) and Qatar (2014) and he didn’t do so well in 2015 or 2016.

His curve: He’s well ahead of it – and he’s sort of the reason for this post. The change in team and the result yesterday in Portugal have me wishing I could have my “hold” rating on him back. He’d be a "buy" now and I’m expecting an improved spring. He’s not a favourite to win the biggest races but I’d expect him to be involved at the sharp end, especially in the Monuments.

Greg van Avermaet:

Results this year: Part of the BMC TTT juggernaut in Valencia, and a few other top tens there and in Oman.

Expectations: Got off to very hot starts in 2016 and 2015 (carrying excellent form from the Middle East into opening weekend and down to Strade Bianche) and, for varying reasons, didn’t quite see it through in the monuments. Curiously, went better in 2013 and 2014 after slower starts.

His curve: He’s behind the form of the last two years, which, counter-intuitively might mean he’s in a better place for success. I like his chances of peaking at- the right time.

Others on track towards a successful classics campaign:

Kwiatkowski

Benoot

Stuyven

Edited by Cav'

Here is a preview are of some of the bigger names for the cobbles races. For each of them, I give a precis of their results thus far, and compare these to their own results in previous seasons. I am judging them against their own “curve” in the context of a rapidly changing early-season calendar and team changes.

Tom Boonen:

Expectations: The win in San Luis was his first pre-April win since 2014, but in his peak years he started the season dominantly. Hard to compare his performance in the absence of Qatar, where he was routinely brilliant, but this year's early-season form looks very promising. The last time he won in Argentina was 2012, and you don’t need me to tell you how good he was that year.

His curve: I’d say he’s ahead of it, for a rider in his final season. The signs are promising for an on-form Boonen crushing one final year on his beloved cobbles. Gosh, I hope that happens.

Alexander Kristoff:

Expectations: Kristoff starts the year winning, and to be honest it doesn’t tell us very much. Has gone awfully well in Qatar the last three years and his Classics form has been up and down after that. Still, for a guy who, his critics say, has sacrificed his sprinting speed, the wins are encouraging (though he’s not beating top-tier sprinters, with Demare probably his most notable scalp).

His curve: He’s right on the curve, and you’d be hopeful he’s preparing to give of his very best. As one of the most consistently high-performing guys in the peloton, not a big worry.

Peter Sagan:

Results this year: Proved to everyone’s satisfaction that he was second-fastest, to Caleb Ewan, in the Tour Down Under, and hasn’t raced since. Due to reappear at Omloop where his form will be a mystery.

Expectations: He’s not the hottest of starters, and last year’s run in San Luis looked a bit like this year’s TdU. He came out with 2nd in Omloop on his next start last year before a spring, and season, that were distinctly above average.

His curve: Something of a mystery but he’s earned our trust and you’d assume he’s going to be ready to be competitive come opening weekend. The move in his race programme looks like it was for sponsorship, not anything to do with starting earlier or racing different roads. He’s nicely on his curve.

Sep Vanmarcke:

Expectations: He’s always utterly anonymous as he gets the miles in before the Omloop. It doesn’t mean a great deal.

His curve: I assume he's on his curve, but how can you tell? Nothing to see here.

Niki Terpstra:

Results this year: A couple of top 20s in Oman, but nothing to shout about. Helper for Dan Martin in Valencia.

Expectations: A man who can time trial and find the right echelon, Terpstra won Qatar in 2014 and 2015, and had great springs. Last year he was less impressive early and a win in Le Samyn was the highlight of a relatively disappointing spring.

His curve: He’s behind the curve, though he's certainly missing the Tour of Qatar and I might be overstating the case. On that basis, it’ll be interesting to see how he goes in Omloop. Others at Quick-Step are looking better right now.

Jon Degenkolb:

Results this year: A win and never outside the top five in Dubai (with a top sprint field) and another fifth in a good field at Algarve.

Expectations: Draw a big line through last year, but he’s had decent early season runs in 2014 (Besseges and the Mediterranean) and 2015 (Dubai and Ruta del Sol).

His curve: Sets a high standard for his early season results but he’s ahead of it. Looks like the crash is firmly behind him and he’s one to have confidence in.

Lars Boom:

Results this year: Picked up 5th in an 18km time trial in Algarve.

Expectations: His time trial form has proved a surprisingly useful barometer to spring success. His peak years came when he was able to ride with the best against the clock in Mediteranean (2013) and Qatar (2014) and he didn’t do so well in 2015 or 2016.

His curve: He’s well ahead of it – and he’s sort of the reason for this post. The change in team and the result yesterday in Portugal have me wishing I could have my “hold” rating on him back. He’d be a "buy" now and I’m expecting an improved spring. He’s not a favourite to win the biggest races but I’d expect him to be involved at the sharp end, especially in the Monuments.

Greg van Avermaet:

Results this year: Part of the BMC TTT juggernaut in Valencia, and a few other top tens there and in Oman.

Expectations: Got off to very hot starts in 2016 and 2015 (carrying excellent form from the Middle East into opening weekend and down to Strade Bianche) and, for varying reasons, didn’t quite see it through in the monuments. Curiously, went better in 2013 and 2014 after slower starts.

His curve: He’s behind the form of the last two years, which, counter-intuitively might mean he’s in a better place for success. I like his chances of peaking at- the right time.

Kwiatkowski

Benoot

Stuyven

Nice write up there Cav.

Mmmm..Maybe we'll see Stuyven once again be given some freedom during the early classics before he works for Degenkolb come Flanders and Roubaix.

Such a talented that one..

Interested to see what trek deliver this year, they have built a great team for the classics.

Bring it on already.

Here is a preview are of some of the bigger names for the cobbles races. For each of them, I give a precis of their results thus far, and compare these to their own results in previous seasons. I am judging them against their own “curve”  in the context of a rapidly changing early-season calendar and team changes.

Tom Boonen:

Alexander Kristoff:

Peter Sagan:

Expectations: He’s not the hottest of starters, and last year’s run in San Luis looked a bit like this year’s TdU. He came out with 2nd in Omloop on his next start last year before a spring, and season, that were distinctly above average.

Sep Vanmarcke:

Niki Terpstra:

Jon Degenkolb:

Lars Boom:

Results this year: Picked up 5th in an 18km time trial in Algarve.

Greg van Avermaet:

Kwiatkowski

Benoot

Stuyven

2 names missing - Greipel and Gaviria. Not sure who is riding which race but Gaviria is my pick for Milan-San Remo.

Check it out...

Bucket list stuff for you, Gen' [emoji317]

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-02-21 at 18.37.26.jpg

Indeed..I get so green with envy every year when our buddy does them.. sportive on the Saturday and watch the pros do it on the Sunday..he says Flanders is best.. can't beat the Belgium fan's passion and their hospitality...

Roubaix he says is a bit trickier but after a decade he has it sorted..knows when and where to go and the road to take to get to the other spot to watch them come past lol says it's a watch and go..they come past.. hop in car to the next ideal spot..becomes a bit of a adventure lol

Must be quite something to feel what it feels like to push your bike up those cobbled climbs and then see the pros ride them flat.

Edited by Gen