Need assistance choosing a road bike

Dullscalpel

Hi everyone!

I am new to road cycling and I would like to get a good, solid bike to start off with. This bike has a few requirements:

1) needs to be good quality

2) needs to be race worthy (no use buying a road bike you can't race on, imo)

3) needs to be cheap (sub 5k for now :( )

4) needs to be complete

I have had a look at gumtree and there have been a few issues- bikes aren't my size, bikes are incomplete, and also, I have no idea what is good and what is not. I am not sure if the prices people are asking are a bargain or a rip off.

One thing I am confused about, is sizing. I am 51cm, but when it comes to finding a bike in that size, it is difficult! Is it a major issue if I were to get a 50cm bike?

Any advice about what to look out for would be greatly appreciated! :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would have to look at a Raleigh RC series in that price bracket.

I bought a RC2000 from Cash Converters like 3 months ago for R1700. lol :w00t:

Tiagra 9spd groupset, needed some repair work but that amounted to like R600

Hi,

First point look at the Classified section.

You need to get the right size bike but seems that you know that already.

Then you need to realise that on Recreational level there is not that much difference that a bike makes on performance.

Therefore a carbon bike will not go faster than an Aluminium bike.

Weight does not make that much difference, but if you start looking at weight look at the wheels first.

Therefore a bike that is a few years old, that has a few scratches and maybe not as shiny as the new look bikes will not be slower.

As long as your Wheel bearings is still ok and the gear shifting is fine you will be able to race.

The example below a bit higher priced but see what you get for R8500 https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/224814-merida-scultura-110-2015-sm/

IMO rather look at a previously loved mountain bike. This way you will have something you can ride off the road (safer) and considering you wont be jumping away in A batch if you're new you can race on it as well.

The classifieds here have some deals you can look at.

Would have to look at a Raleigh RC series in that price bracket.

I bought a RC2000 from Cash Converters like 3 months ago for R1700. lol :w00t:

Tiagra 9spd groupset, needed some repair work but that amounted to like R600

Woah! At Cash Converters?! Ok, I will keep an eye out! Thanks!

Hi,

First point look at the Classified section.

You need to get the right size bike but seems that you know that already.

Then you need to realise that on Recreational level there is not that much difference that a bike makes on performance.

Therefore a carbon bike will not go faster than an Aluminium bike.

Weight does not make that much difference, but if you start looking at weight look at the wheels first.

Therefore a bike that is a few years old, that has a few scratches and maybe not as shiny as the new look bikes will not be slower.

As long as your Wheel bearings is still ok and the gear shifting is fine you will be able to race.

The example below a bit higher priced but see what you get for R8500 https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/224814-merida-scultura-110-2015-sm/

Thanks so much for this information! Along the sizing line, is it ok to drop a cm? I have only found one 51 cm bike (and I have been looking for 2 months). 50 cm looks to be a bit more common. I assume going down a centimetre is better than going up a centimetre?

Just me or does that bike seem a bit over priced

My Fiance got a brand new Giant SCR for that.

@ the OP. You can get deals at that price point be patient and don't allow yourself to get screwed. You can get a perfectly good bike for 5k There are deals to be had if you keep your eyes open. Id let you have my Media 903 for 5k but it's a 54.

Thanks so much for this information! Along the sizing line, is it ok to drop a cm? I have only found one 51 cm bike (and I have been looking for 2 months). 50 cm looks to be a bit more common. I assume going down a centimetre is better than going up a centimetre?

Rather go up 1, also sizing is varies between manufacturers, if you have an idea of what you would fit on i.e saddle height etc. rather look at the bikes geometry than absolute size.

Rather go up 1, also sizing is varies between manufacturers, if you have an idea of what you would fit on i.e saddle height etc. rather look at the bikes geometry than absolute size.

Ok, cool. That makes sense. Thanks so much!

This looks like a decent option, with good level components! For the amount you have in budget you need to recognise that you will be looking towards a more entry level type bike than something that is weight conscious with higher end parts on. It will however stand you in great stead for getting into the riding scene and doing the odd race on. It will also double up as a useful second bike that can be converted into a commuter or single speed or other variant down the line when you have decided you are ready for an upgrade and the sport floats your boat! Welcome btw!

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/221300-merida-road-904-r5500-neg/

This looks like a decent option, with good level components! For the amount you have in budget you need to recognise that you will be looking towards a more entry level type bike than something that is weight conscious with higher end parts on. It will however stand you in great stead for getting into the riding scene and doing the odd race on. It will also double up as a useful second bike that can be converted into a commuter or single speed or other variant down the line when you have decided you are ready for an upgrade and the sport floats your boat! Welcome btw!

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/221300-merida-road-904-r5500-neg/

Just realized something when going through the classifieds, people are very out of touch with the value of their used bikes (people wanting 85% of new retail for two year old bike that hasn't even been looked after)

That bike would be almost reasonable at the price except look at the rust on chain and cassette.

Just realized something when going through the classifieds, people are very out of touch with the value of their used bikes (people wanting 85% of new retail for two year old bike that hasn't even been looked after)

That bike would be almost reasonable at the price except look at the rust on chain and cassette.

Buying any 2nd hand bike, it's useful to factor in at least replacing the basics of chain and cassette. The poster says the price is negotiable. Price a new 105 chain and cassette and ask for the difference in discount. It being a 2nd hand bike in the roughly 5K bracket with a Shimano 105 groupset is a useful option for this budget!

Buying any 2nd hand bike, it's useful to factor in at least replacing the basics of chain and cassette. The poster says the price is negotiable. Price a new 105 chain and cassette and ask for the difference in discount. It being a 2nd hand bike in the roughly 5K bracket with a Shimano 105 groupset is a useful option for this budget!

Agree that 105 at the price point is not bad at all, other than chain and cassette bike also seems (at a glance) in good condition.

Buying any 2nd hand bike, it's useful to factor in at least replacing the basics of chain and cassette. The poster says the price is negotiable. Price a new 105 chain and cassette and ask for the difference in discount. It being a 2nd hand bike in the roughly 5K bracket with a Shimano 105 groupset is a useful option for this budget!

He does have a point tho. As I said a little earlier. For R8500 you can get a brand new Giant SCR. Yes the components are on the cheaper side but it's a great ride. Certainly much better than my more expensive Merida was.

Indeed DB. Far better to go new if it presents itself as an option. However if the budget is 5K and you're stretching it to 8.5 for the bike, that leaves very little to no budget for helmet, cleats, shoes, bibs and some spares (tubes, tyre levers, bombs and adapters, etc). We all know you can get a great deal of value by going second hand, that can often be very well looked after and maintained! If you're shopping on a budget you have to look in this sector.

Archived