Any Hubbers in the Netherlands?

J∆kk∆ls

Scooters pick and choose. Bike lane here, road there. Pedestrian pavement for good measure. Sorry for your eina Jakkals, but I'm not surprised one of those devils was involved.

Thanks mate.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.buienalarm.nl/

I was shown this great rain forecast app while boating on the weekend. 

It proved to be very accurate giving us a 2 hour forecast. 

Well Rotterdam got a soaking of note Saturday evening.  Thought I was going to watch the ladies European soccer. 

Well Rotterdam got a soaking of note Saturday evening. Thought I was going to watch the ladies European soccer.

So did we. It was raining when went out but an hour into to our trip it started with the cats and dogs. We all loved it though. As long as there is a shower and dry cloths at the end then it can rain as much as it wants.

• 6 years later...
On 1/5/2017 at 3:13 PM, karlvand said:

I've been living in Rotterdam for 16 months, drop me a PM and I'll try answer any other questions.

Unfortunately I haven't cycled much since moving here besides my daily commute but i'm planning on buying a road bike in the next couple of weeks so I can get back into it.

At the moment I commute on a fixie that I bought online from http://www.beastybike.nl/.

If you are planning on getting something nice I would suggest you try keep your bike inside at night  or invest in a really good U-Lock.

Commuting is a absolute pleasure because of the abundance of bike lanes, I cycle around 15km to and from the office and not one bit of my ride is shared with cars.

Hey there, I'm moving to NL in 4 weeks' time. Planning on bringing my (only bike I have) 29er MTB 1x12 along. Don't wanna sell her here and have to reinvest there for a new bike; the 32T upfront might be a challenge I hear as the ratios wont be good for flat road commuting....that said, knobblies will have to be removed in place of hybrid rubber I suppose?

13 minutes ago, AntVanR said:

Hey there, I'm moving to NL in 4 weeks' time. Planning on bringing my (only bike I have) 29er MTB 1x12 along. Don't wanna sell her here and have to reinvest there for a new bike; the 32T upfront might be a challenge I hear as the ratios wont be good for flat road commuting....that said, knobblies will have to be removed in place of hybrid rubber I suppose?

Goes without saying in any country.

Frist go try it out on the 32.
I know guys riding their MTB's in the club road ride, averaging 40+ over 2 hours.  It can be done.
So try it out with the 32 and if it doesn't work, throw on a 34 or 36.
R1500 should solve that easily.  That's like €2 or something up there.  😁

I would definitely invest in some sort of gravel or commuter road bike depending on the roads that are commuting on.  The wind is going to be your enemy.  

2 hours ago, AntVanR said:

Hi there. I live NL at the moment, although most of my riding is on a road bike and a dedicated city bike. Indeed, the wind (or "The Dutch Mountain" as it is known) is the main adversary out there.

If your MTB is precious to you, I also think a dedicated city / commuter bike will be better as most bikes tend to take a beating from everyday use, especially in the colder / wetter months. A dedicated bike will also be better equipped with fenders, lights, "achterwielslot" and racks for your bag.

55 minutes ago, kr_za said:

Hi there. I live NL at the moment, although most of my riding is on a road bike and a dedicated city bike. Indeed, the wind (or "The Dutch Mountain" as it is known) is the main adversary out there.

If your MTB is precious to you, I also think a dedicated city / commuter bike will be better as most bikes tend to take a beating from everyday use, especially in the colder / wetter months. A dedicated bike will also be better equipped with fenders, lights, "achterwielslot" and racks for your bag.

Thank you for this, seems like a 2nd bike is the way. Probs more economical to get one that side then? I have pretty much unlimited cargo space available on this side for my goods to travel to NL from SA, so I will be weighing up buying here in ZAR and shipping it, or buying there for immediate use....

30 minutes ago, AntVanR said:

Thank you for this, seems like a 2nd bike is the way. Probs more economical to get one that side then? I have pretty much unlimited cargo space available on this side for my goods to travel to NL from SA, so I will be weighing up buying here in ZAR and shipping it, or buying there for immediate use....

Can't you just box it and fly it with your baggage when you head over?

17 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Can't you just box it and fly it with your baggage when you head over?

Yeah that's the plan, fortunately we have a container with sufficient space to accommodate the bicycles. Choice is to buy a cheapie here and ship it with, or spend € cash there?

3 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Goes without saying in any country.

Frist go try it out on the 32.
I know guys riding their MTB's in the club road ride, averaging 40+ over 2 hours.  It can be done.
So try it out with the 32 and if it doesn't work, throw on a 34 or 36.
R1500 should solve that easily.  That's like €2 or something up there.  😁

I would definitely invest in some sort of gravel or commuter road bike depending on the roads that are commuting on.  The wind is going to be your enemy.  

😅😅 €2 vs ZAR 1500 ......sad truth 

9 minutes ago, AntVanR said:

Yeah that's the plan, fortunately we have a container with sufficient space to accommodate the bicycles. Choice is to buy a cheapie here and ship it with, or spend € cash there?

A lot of employers have bicycle subsidy schemes if you use the bike to travel to work and back, and will even cover the first year's insurance. Could be worth checking if that applies to you.

I arrived in NL 3 weeks ago. Bought a commuter (stadsfiets) to commute to work. I sold my mtb in sa and brought my road bike on the plane.

Commuter bikes are super cheap here. We bought second hand bikes for between 80 and 150 euros each. All equipped with shimano 7 speed rear hub and dynamo in the front hub for the front light.

i am however struggling to gel with the stadsfiets setup. Way too upright. Especially in the wind. I think I might be selling the commuter soon and buy a cheapish gravel bike… Just fit some mudguards and rear rack if required for shopping. I have seen some nice grave bikes used as commuters, just make sure it is parked out of sight and locked. All the commuter bicycles are equipped with a lock around the rear wheel, but you can just pick the bike up and carry it away.

in short, I would buy a second hand gravel bike here for commuting…

I am enjoying the road and gravel riding on the bicycle lanes! Good luck with the last admin and more admin when you arrive. Welcome to pm me for any info, as we are going through the process…

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 8:25 PM, W@nted said:

I arrived in NL 3 weeks ago. Bought a commuter (stadsfiets) to commute to work. I sold my mtb in sa and brought my road bike on the plane.

Commuter bikes are super cheap here. We bought second hand bikes for between 80 and 150 euros each. All equipped with shimano 7 speed rear hub and dynamo in the front hub for the front light.

i am however struggling to gel with the stadsfiets setup. Way too upright. Especially in the wind. I think I might be selling the commuter soon and buy a cheapish gravel bike… Just fit some mudguards and rear rack if required for shopping. I have seen some nice grave bikes used as commuters, just make sure it is parked out of sight and locked. All the commuter bicycles are equipped with a lock around the rear wheel, but you can just pick the bike up and carry it away.

in short, I would buy a second hand gravel bike here for commuting…

I am enjoying the road and gravel riding on the bicycle lanes! Good luck with the last admin and more admin when you arrive. Welcome to pm me for any info, as we are going through the process…

Shot, thanks @W@nted, will defs reach out. Our plans are coming to a finality it seems. Embassy appt booked or the 9th, then 10 days for stamps and then we should be off. Partner starts work 1Dec, just in time for winter 😆.... While she works I'll have some time to do a few recces and check the lay of the land. 

• 2 months later...

We in Netherlands at the moment, Maastricht. My son starts working at Watersley next week, then study in September.

Trying to find a used MTB medium, can't find anything. He wants to do the trail rides, not for commuting, if any of you guys spot something let me know please.