Helmet Safety Poll

Patchelicious

Helmets  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Has wearing a helmet ever reduced or prevented a head injury during a crash.

• Yes, it reduced my head injury.
    • Yes, it prevented a head injury.
    • No, it made no difference to my head injury.
    • No, I have not crashed yet.
  2. 2. Has wearing a helmet ever caused me to crash.

• Yes, I rode faster than I would normally have and crashed directly due to wearing a helmet.
    • No, I have not crashed due to wearing a helmet.

The first time I rode the Bridal Path down, I was a bit nervous, however, midway through I gained courage and decided to let go of the brakes, hit a rock and went OTB, landed on my back, hit my head against the ground, all in slow motion....

Came out ok, as well as my helmet, however, could've been worse.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to land on my head a lot it seems. My first "big" accident I basically cracked my cheapie helmet in half on a rock. Back was sore, neck was sore, bike looked a little sore, head was fine.

Forever sold on no helmet, no ride.

I had a road crash a while ago near the finish.  took a corner too quickly and landed on my side hitting my head on the tar.  Afterwards I was so nauseous for about an hour,  then felt so sleepy.  I  had a headache for three days afterwards.  Without a helmet I would surely have fewer brain cells than what I have now.

ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET PROPERLY (fixed correctly on one's head).

There, I added to your statement.

In the start batches of the race I am involved with, I've had to tell a number of people to ensure the helmet sits properly on their head. Kids being the most often - it's as if the parents think that by wearing a helmet, all is okay.

In fact, injuries from two crashes at the same race could have been less serious if the helmet was worn correctly (and tight enough) - this according to the medical report.

Here are some examples (courtesy of the photographers on Google).

http://www.ilovebicycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/How-To-Fit-a-Bike-Helmet.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-BlkPQgiA07k/Tpb3lw1x53I/AAAAAAAABYs/xCDt1gyCPhs/helmetsafety_thumb.png?imgmax=800

http://abcycle.com/images/library/site/twsd_hlmt_11_p.jpg

There, I added to your statement.

In the start batches of the race I am involved with, I've had to tell a number of people to ensure the helmet sits properly on their head. Kids being the most often - it's as if the parents think that by wearing a helmet, all is okay.

In fact, injuries from two crashes at the same race could have been less serious if the helmet was worn correctly (and tight enough) - this according to the medical report.

Here are some examples (courtesy of the photographers on Google).

http://www.ilovebicycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/How-To-Fit-a-Bike-Helmet.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-BlkPQgiA07k/Tpb3lw1x53I/AAAAAAAABYs/xCDt1gyCPhs/helmetsafety_thumb.png?imgmax=800

http://abcycle.com/images/library/site/twsd_hlmt_11_p.jpg

Nothing irritates me more than this at events... facepalm comes to mind.

I've had my bell rung more than once on a bicycle.... Hit at tree once wearing a helmet. Glad I had it on. Had a few OTB's. Can't say for sure that my lid saved my life but wouldn't want a do over without a helmet.

A few years ago I went for a spin with the kids in a resort when on holiday wearing slops so didn't bother putting a helmet on. Was supposed to be a easy ride down to the dam and back. A pothole jumped out at me and the results were an OTB which resulted in a cut in my head, a nice roastie across my cheek and no skin on my shoulder. Add to that a trashed RedBull X-Fighters T shirt that I got for Christmas a few days earlier! (The helmet would have done nothing for the shirt and the shoulder but I am pretty sure my noggin would have survived)

Nowadays I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it....

Based on this thread content and the poll, what conclusions do you guys draw?

Does the crash protection benefits one enjoys when wearing a helmet outweigh the increase in crashes caused by wearing helmets?

I still lack to see how a helmet could be the cause of an accident... surely there is no helmet going around looking to crash right? So the wearer had some lapse of concentration and thus did not see the tree branch the caught the helmet and then knocked the rider off... or some other reason.

wear a helmet. the end.

Based on this thread content and the poll, what conclusions do you guys draw?

Does the crash protection benefits one enjoys when wearing a helmet outweigh the increase in crashes caused by wearing helmets?

What are the chances of a helmet causing a crash? Probably nil unless you are stupid enough to believe that a helmet is going to save you so I don't understand the question.

As an aside, I have had a few crashes over the past few years that have landed me in hospital, some with helmets and some without, but in all cases I have not had an issue my head getting dined.

There does seem to be evidence that wearing a helmet could cause behavioral changes, whereby we take slightly bigger risks due to the extra perception of safety.

However, my question is, does this increase in crashes outweigh the benefits of wearing one?

No. And behaviour has nothing to do with the fact that a helmet protects your noggin. If it means you are maybe a bit more confident then the behaviour change is not always a bad thing. being a bit more confident is for the most part safer. This does not mean you got to do stupid things.

No. And behaviour has nothing to do with the fact that a helmet protects your noggin. If it means you are maybe a bit more confident then the behaviour change is not always a bad thing. being a bit more confident is for the most part safer. This does not mean you got to do stupid things.

Also, I dont think the car that did not see you and T bone you will care if you have a helmet on or not.

There does seem to be evidence that wearing a helmet could cause behavioral changes, whereby we take slightly bigger risks due to the extra perception of safety.

However, my question is, does this increase in crashes outweigh the benefits of wearing one?

Based upon the poll in this thread, reading comments etc. one would say that the slight increase in crashes does not outweigh the benefit of wearing one.

Also if one looks at studies in  behaviour in general, generally a 'risk taker' will normally be a risk taker in most situations so there will only be a pretty small percentage of people who think that they will take a bigger risk as they are wearing  a helmet.

What would be interesting to see is the effect of crowd psychology/group mentality/peer pressure/ego on taking risks on trails when in a group :)

A number of years back i crashed on the Hyper to Hyper - on the finish line nogal  :ph34r: - the first part of my body to hit the ground was my head and then my hip. I was wearing a BRIKO and it absolutely shattered, the only thing holding the pieces together was the outer plastic shell and the straps. I spent weeks recovering from hip injuries - My head on the other hand was no problem.

Well thats what my take is - there are some that will say i still haven't recovered from the head hitting the tar.

A previous accident when i first started riding was on the old Germiston Centenary race - I got switched in the group and went down. Got hit by 6 riders from behind - 1 guy tried bunny hopping over me and hit me in the side of my helmet with his chainring. Helmet was split from ear to ear, no injuries to the head - and this was a non expensive cheapy helmet from Sportsmans.

Helmets are a must irrespective of how cheap they are, they will always give some level of protection

Saved my noggin at least four times, from paving stone lobbed at it to entanglements with metal monsters. 

post-7-0-75626900-1484221202_thumb.jpg

I remember a ride I did in Port Edward, I think it was the Burry Stander Sardine Classic. It was one of my first rides on a new bike, and was a bit too confident riding down this one section. Attempted to take a corner going at I don't know what speed, both bike and myself did a bit of a flip, right side of my face connected to something hard, I assume it must've been a rock. I think I must've past out for a few minutes. All I remember is other riders stopping to see if everything was okay. Now, if I wasn't wearing a helmet, and if it was my head that connected to that rock, it would've been game over.

I remember a ride I did in Port Edward, I think it was the Burry Stander Sardine Classic. It was one of my first rides on a new bike, and was a bit too confident riding down this one section. Attempted to take a corner going at I don't know what speed, both bike and myself did a bit of a flip, right side of my face connected to something hard, I assume it must've been a rock. I think I must've past out for a few minutes. All I remember is other riders stopping to see if everything was okay. Now, if I wasn't wearing a helmet, and if it was my head that connected to that rock, it would've been game over.

Was this over confidence because you felt invincible from wearing a helmet?

Archived