[Event] Maluti Double 90 Team Cycle Challenge

PPA Free State

We have 12 member team and we plan to only finish with 6. You don't want to be no.6. If we are 7 or 8 we are not riding hard enough and yeah the plan is ride so hard that we are only 6 but still manages to take all 6 together to the finish and not blow before. Crazy but looking forward to it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 weeks till the Maluti.

Any body got some advice. The team want to do the Maluti in 5h30.  ;)

Keep your stop in Kestell to a minimum. Prep your food and drink so that you can eat on the bike between Kestell and the entrance to Golden Gate. Replace bottles, put food in your back pockets and go.

Last year, our team stopped for too long (almost 14 minutes), and we missed our goal time by 3:22. 

We have 12 member team and we plan to only finish with 6. You don't want to be no.6. If we are 7 or 8 we are not riding hard enough and yeah the plan is ride so hard that we are only 6 but still manages to take all 6 together to the finish and not blow before. Crazy but looking forward to it.

I know that feeling - we had about 3-4 guys that were thinking they were No.6 (me included, as a certain point on the route). Also make it clear who the 6 are - we had two guys doing work to protect our weaker team members and they couldn't make it through GG with us.

After Sunday (R4S) I'm starting to panic.

Got a bit of a hiding from the B bunch and now I need a small miracle to be fit enough for this event.

On the bright side my team is a bit of a social team and we plan to finish together.

You will be fine - it's a lekker jol if you do it as a social team. Just hope you aren't the weakest link, and you'll be okay.

Sounds like something out of the Savage play book!

Sounds like something out of the Savage play book!

Ja I have read your race reports and must say they are proper.  This is going to be a long afkak session.

How are the hills towards the end of the ride on tired legs? do you run normal gearing or a bigger than usual cassette for the race? I have 11-28 and compact front and feel a bit nervous.

How are the hills towards the end of the ride on tired legs? do you run normal gearing or a bigger than usual cassette for the race? I have 11-28 and compact front and feel a bit nervous.

I quote our number 6 rider last year.

Those climbs in Golden gate makes the Double century at Swellendam looks like a joke man....

Keep your stop in Kestell to a minimum. Prep your food and drink so that you can eat on the bike between Kestell and the entrance to Golden Gate. Replace bottles, put food in your back pockets and go.

Last year, our team stopped for too long (almost 14 minutes), and we missed our goal time by 3:22. 

I know that feeling - we had about 3-4 guys that were thinking they were No.6 (me included, as a certain point on the route). Also make it clear who the 6 are - we had two guys doing work to protect our weaker team members and they couldn't make it through GG with us.

You will be fine - it's a lekker jol if you do it as a social team. Just hope you aren't the weakest link, and you'll be okay.

Please don't remind me.  I had to dig REALLY REALLY deep on Lichens Pass.  And then the dreaded Mineshaft.  Still don't know how I managed the 39x25

Eish, apparently I can replace10 speed ultegra dérailleur with a 9 speed MTB one, giving me access to a 36 cassette. Wondering if it's worth the admin. Has anybody done this successfully?

Eish, apparently I can replace10 speed ultegra dérailleur with a 9 speed MTB one, giving me access to a 36 cassette. Wondering if it's worth the admin. Has anybody done this successfully?

Haha. No man. Your 28-11 compact crank will be fine. Our no 6 had a 25 rear and 39 front.

Was on the 7th of May, and was a very nice day on the bike, compared to the Sunday (following day).

We arrived at the start area with winter stuff and ended up riding with shorts, shirt and sleeves. Unzipped in the reserve before pulling the sleeves back up to make us more aero on the descent.  :ph34r:

13165922_1093566944044551_19807106952998

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFHCiXAmSmH/

Just a pity both events are on the same weekend.

That's not stopping some of our fellow members.. 

As per endless other discussions on BikeHub, related to lower gearing for hills, the general consensus is that smaller gearing may make it easier for you to climb, but not necessarily faster. If this fits your riding style, then matching your team's climbing speed may not be helped by down gearing?

So it's rule #5 for you! :clap:

(But if you still want to run a 9-sp MTD RD on 10-sp STIs, then pop over to the Cyclocross thread and read further. The RD needs to be a pre Dyna-sys model - don't shoot me if I've been economical here!). 

Please don't remind me.  I had to dig REALLY REALLY deep on Lichens Pass.  And then the dreaded Mineshaft.  Still don't know how I managed the 39x25

I've got 39x25 on my bike and that's what I'll go with.

Hopefully I'll survive on that.

You just have to remember to take the last hairpin on Lichens wide to keep momentum.

If you lose momentum your'e pushing to the lookout