2017 Vuelta a España

Bonus

post-1830-0-31251800-1504682831_thumb.png

Froome really cleaned up here, as expected.

Expected more from the 3 prong orica attack during this race, and Jack Haig has also been up there so they had options to really stick it to Sky with so many mountain top finishes. BUT does that not just show how strong the Sky backup is - no matter who tries to take them on, they just get reeled in by nieve or poels?

The only way I can see Froome losing this (barring mechanicals/crashing) is if the racing is seriously mixed up - would need GC teams to work together and isolate Froome early on - just like how Porte lost the Dauphine. Astana got the potential with two guys in top6, but that's about it. Don't really see sunweb, katusha or bahrain merida being able to put Sky to the sword on their own.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Louis knows exactly what he is doing.

Maybe he knows that he doesn't have the power numbers to contest in breakaways or efforts at the front. He knows that he unfortunately for the rest of his career will face Quintana, Yates bro's, Dumoulin and Chaves.

I personally feel that he is doing the best in his situation. Instead of going for glory and possibly getting a stage win (which results in tired legs the following day), he has achieved 3 top ten finishes in the past 3 years. All this through 'boring riding'.

Finishing top 10, will not get the needed exposure.

Winning a stage is more valuable in my eyes.

You can show the pics to your grandchildren crossing the finish line.

Showing them top 10 finishers list...

If he is at his limit, why then move to DDD to be team leader for GT.

I would rather have seen Louis move to one of the big teams for two years, being a top domestique for a team leader and racing one week races.

Learning the ropes how the big teams work, windtunnel testing and improving!

The move on to DDD and take a final swipe at a GT.

Ps. The salary he is earning, told my wife, liefie ek sal my bicycle trap!

I also wonder whether Louis has the ability to be a strong leader who can control a team of strong riders and characters (like Froome does so well). He seems to be a reserved and shy chap but hopefully I am underestimating his leadership potential.

I reckon now that he has a proper team around him, some security ITO contract, he can spend more time getting better at the TT.

In fact, will invite him to sit on the front of our paceline for 202km in November to hone his TT skills :P

So Patch has Froomey, you have Louis and neither of them know it yet? All a bit stalkery...

I would rather have seen Louis move to one of the big teams for two years, being a top domestique for a team leader and racing one week races.

Honestly with the announcement of him going to DDD I really thought he would try a stage win or 2.. (the Vuelta isn't over yet and there is still chance) DDD desperately need WT points and if he could win a stage or place high then those points would carry over to DDD.

Maybe he is indeed ill and is just trying to recover a bit until he is able to go for a win.?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I agree with your statement completely. Stage wins are more memorable.

But as a professional cyclist with the best coaches, tests and analysts, Maybe he already investigated that option and realized that it is not viable. I think the 'big teams' have kept a close eye on Louis' progress, and could've offered a higher salary than DD. But unfortunately there are better riders than him in his generation.

I am most likely biased about Maincheese but so what. Here is my take.

A bike race is a puzzle, a thing to be figured out. How to train and rest, what races to do and what to sit out. Grand tours are the most difficult puzzles to unlock. Louis is clearly hugely talented but he is still young. Hasn't figured out what works for him. Perhaps he never will but my hope is he does. It took Froome some time to work it out. He was a bit of a late bloomer but watch him go now. All these grand tours are in Main cheeses legs. He is getting harder and cleverer. Working out his routines, nutrition and tactics. When I his age my main concerns were how little sleep I could get by on and how much beer I could force down my neck. Give him a chance.

Could the same not be said of the 20 other guys who are "still young" Bardet, Barguil, Lopez, Klederman etc etc?

Im not sure that I understand?

Just being stoopid with El Savage Purito. Know your arms race makes Kim's look like a game of tiddlywinks :)

Just being stoopid with El Savage Purito. Know your arms race makes Kim's look like a game of tiddlywinks :)

Oh my bad.

Yeah, but I have disarmed, we won't go head to head for a while.

Im doing DC with a corporate, and maybe ToGH as a solo vet next year...

Like Floyd, retiring unbeaten. 

its not even Friday yet...

The insinuation that this is an argument or handbags is not really cool, don't make it something its not.

People are having a constructive debate around a rider. Fortunately there has been no name calling or insulting of Louis yet, its all constructive and most of the comments have merit.

SS5 showing stage 17 from 12h20 today if anyone missed it

Well that is great news..

what's he on? (apart from his bike, obviously)

Could the same not be said of the 20 other guys who are "still young" Bardet, Barguil, Lopez, Klederman etc etc?

There are so many young GC riders .. competition is fierce..

Archived