How to stop the Cycling Carnage on SA's roads?

Bonus

How do we do this? If you mention anywhere that a fellow cyclist ride like an idiot, you will be attacked.

I usually stalk the cyclist on Strava, make a comment on his ride, and then flag him for dangerous riding!

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another cyclist hit in Camps bay by an impatient driver over taking when there was no space, got half way round blind corner and found traffic in the oncoming lane, so just pulled into the cyclist who was in the gutter already.

Then people are cross why certain groups ride 3 abreast on certain roads so cars physically have to obey the road markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the NEAR accident I had yesterday !!

And as a fellow cyclist I was NOT impatient.  But coming around a blind bend, and finding a cyclist dead ahead of you .... that cyclist better HOPE the vehicles brakes worked as good as mine did on Sunday.

I have said it before - I have buried a nephew who was killed in a cycling accident (truck skipped a stop sign and wiped him out).  So this topic is VERY close to home !

But as a car driver I see one side of this story, as a cyclist I have LOTS of empathy for roadies trying to stay alive on the roads.  AND as a commuter I regularly experience the blind bends etc etc  ...

All said, cyclists can do a lot to ride more devensively, and be more aware of the blind spots drivers will encounter..... until we get some more cycling lanes. (sadly NO cycling lanes where I commute)

Remember to think about the bigger picture.

The motorists who get upset when cyclists "block" the roads rarely know about cyclists being knocked over. So they don't see some people who are trying to protect themselves by riding 3 abreast, they only see "inconsiderate and rude" people on bikes.

The case of the two ladies in the hit n run this weekend hasnt even made it onto the Hub, so we need to assume that the average Joe trying to get to work probably also doesn't know about.

So just to clarify, I am not saying anybody is wrong (even though its illegal) or am even trying to change the way you ride (long given up on that), I am simply saying, don't be surprised if motorists get upset at you if you ride 3 abreast, they don't know why you are doing it. The only favour I ask, don't retaliate when they do get cross, because makes it even worse, rather just apologise, they don't know better.....

100% agreed, but I put my life over someone's "feelings" towards cyclists which does not actually translate into a safer or more dangerous environment for cyclists.

A driver that does not obey the law does not care about other people on the road, we have long given up being liked by all motorists.

We always thank them very politely after the 3 abreast vibe for not murdering us with their car.

Another cyclist hit in Camps bay by an impatient driver over taking when there was no space, got half way round blind corner and found traffic in the oncoming lane, so just pulled into the cyclist who was in the gutter already.

Then people are cross why certain groups ride 3 abreast on certain roads so cars physically have to obey the road markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Law states that you can pass a cyclist on a solid white line, so even 3 abreast they can still legally pass you on solid white line. 

I understand the logic behind it, but ja .. driver  can still  legally pass you and pull back when they see a on coming car and wipe all 3 out.

These days I try and make sure to that if I hear car behind me and they not able to overtake me /us immediately to simply lift my hand up and acknowledge to the motorist that I/we know they behind us.  This sometimes give them warm fuzzy feeling and give you bit of time to get out way or give them more space to pass etc, even it means pulling off completely and stopping.  I rather get to destination on my bike than by ambulance.

Law states that you can pass a cyclist on a solid white line, so even 3 abreast they can still legally pass you on solid white line. 

I understand the logic behind it, but ja .. driver  can still  legally pass you and pull back when they see a on coming car and wipe all 3 out.

These days I try and make sure to that if I hear car behind me and they not able to overtake me /us immediately to simply lift my hand up and acknowledge to the motorist that I/we know they behind us.  This sometimes give them warm fuzzy feeling and give you bit of time to get out way or give them more space to pass etc, even it means pulling off completely and stopping.  I rather get to destination on my bike than by ambulance.

Thats what I mean while riding 3 abreast. 

Knobheads like these really don’t help the attitude to toward cyclists either.

https://instagram.com/p/Bbc2WSHhj1r/

The flipside to this stupid statement would be that more people die in car accidents than on bicycle accidents.  So don't buy cars then.  You won't change people with this kind of attitude by being a good example.  They choose to be idiots.

I usually stalk the cyclist on Strava, make a comment on his ride, and then flag him for dangerous riding!

so you stop short calling them assholes.

A pet peeve is okes rolling through the red lights in Camps Bay. Shouting criminal at them gets them to sometimes just stop half way through the intersection. 

so you stop short calling them assholes.

It's my passive aggressive way of dealing with assholes. I'm a cyclist with a weedy upper body and absolutely no fighting skills. I try to avoid conflict and instead extract my revenge where it hurts most - Strava!!

A pet peeve is okes rolling through the red lights in Camps Bay. Shouting criminal at them gets them to sometimes just stop half way through the intersection. 

Next time you are in JHB, go ride an E2E group ride on Tuesday morning.... flat box through robots, through Sandton. 

Well ....

The bike IS on the wrong side of the yellow line ....  :eek:

close enough to Friday..  :devil:

Just to get myself ready for Friday ... what side of the yellow line should the bike be?  :whistling:

Well ....

The bike IS on the wrong side of the yellow line ....  :eek:

close enough to Friday..  :devil:

Do you know that cyclist is NOT required to ride left of yellow line? That is the shoulder or emergency lane.  Cyclist should ride as far left as possible of the the roadway(and that ends at the yelllow)

Archived